Not getting whole DVD picture.

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 37
The new TV I just got is 16:9 and I assumed that if I put in a wide screen format DVD it would fill the whole screen, yet I'm still getting a picture in the middle and unused screen space across the top and bottom? Does it have something to do with how I have the TV setup or the DVD player?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13261
Learn more about aspect ratios my young padawan :-)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/home/wsfaq.html

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 343
Not all movies on DVD have a true 16X9 aspect ratio. All HDTV programs are 16x9 and that is a compromise that was choosen.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3337
Only a few movies are 16:9 (1.78:1). 1.78:1 is a fairly popular Disney and TV series format. Most other movies are 1.85:1 or 2.35-2.40:1. You can use zoom if you don't want the black bars. It still may not get rid of all the black, depending on the TV and the disc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I'm not talking about a small amount of black bar, it was about the same ratio of black, picture, black as on my 4:3 TV. surley I have something setup wrong and could view more vertical picture without loosing horizontal picture?

Isn't this why they make TV's this way?

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 102
Are you sure that you are using the right disc? If it is a dual side disc, check to make sure you are inserting it right. Also, like everyone said, check the bottom of the back of the DVD box to determine the aspect ration of that disc.

Stefan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Stefan-
in response to your reply let me ask this, if I go home tonight and find a wide screen DVD that says on the back that it's 16:9 and I play it shouldn't my whole screen be filled with picture? If not then I've got something set up incorrectly.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 31
Nick,
Your question has been answered at least twice in this thread. Go back and read.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3343
Not necessarily will a disc that says 16:9 fill the screen. That just means it was formatted for a widescreen TV. A 1.78:1 movie should fill the screen. A 1.85:1 movie should have small black bars. A 2:35:1 movie will have considerable bars. Look in the DVD player setup menus and make sure that it's set to 16:9. If the DVD doesn't say aspect ratio on the case, you can look at Amazon, they usually give the ratio.

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 58
Nick,

David's reply is right on.

If you are seeing bars on the sides (as well as top and bottom), make sure your DVD player is set to output to a widescreen TV.

If the image is filling up the TV horizontally (all the way from the left edge to the right edge), then the movie may be 2.35:1 (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc.).

--Nathan

--Nathan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us