Dolby Digital 5.1. Uncompressed PCM 5.1

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 80
Is this supposed to be better than regular dolby digital.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13221
That is the concensus. No compression, no loss in quality.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3326
Compressed DD audio doesn't have the loss that compressed video does. So how much better, we'll have to wait and see.

Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 10
uncompresed audio is like day and night from digital dd and dts

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 99
Josh,

What type of set-up are you using for your uncompressed PCM?

Stefan

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 11
as of rightn now i am not using uncompressed PCM because the PS3 has capability but no reciever out there does not through HDMI, and my reciever has capability but the PS3 does not have separate audio chanels outputs. in order to have uncompressed PCM audio you have to have a Blu-ray or HD-dvd player cause they have audio chanel ouputs. and most high end recievers can translate it in that format just not HDMI 1.3 format

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3333
If you're not using it, how do you know how much difference there is?

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 16
well thats kind of a silly question now isnt it. no just playing with you. i buddy has 5.1 uncompressed through a samsung blu-ray player. i have 7.1 but dont have uncompressed capabilitys yet reason showed above

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 17
my friend has uncompraised 5.1 through samsung blu-ray player. i wouldnt say i know about it if i didnt know about it.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 32
"my friend has uncompraised 5.1 through samsung blu-ray player"

Well that kills the usefulness in this discussion for at least two reasons.

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 103
Speaking of HDMI 1.3...

Yesterday, I saw a HDMI cable that claimed to be 1.3 compatible. I know that the receivers and tvs aren't up to that point yet, but out of curiosity, is the cable legit?

Thanks, Stefan

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 20
jim bob jones: what exactly do you mean by your last post you dont have to own something to know what it does. its called shopping around finding out whats out there so you know what you want to get. what does your hometheater consist of???? and please do tell me why this kills the usefullness of this discussion for two reasons, i would love to hear it. Stefan: they do have HDMI 1.3 cables out but like you said there is not a reciever that will understand what it is saying, if you know what i mean

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 33
1.Samsung-not exactly reference quality. 2.Your lack of first hand experience. Clear enough?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1394
­
"Speaking of HDMI 1.3...

Yesterday, I saw a HDMI cable that claimed to be 1.3 compatible. I know that the receivers and tvs aren't up to that point yet, but out of curiosity, is the cable legit?"

In June 2005, the HDMI organization announced the new HDMI 1.3 spec. Among other things, the 1.3 spec offers new color depths which require more bits per pixel. The HDMI press release states:

"HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates."

So, what did they do to enable the HDMI cable to convey this massive increase in bitrate? If your guess is "nothing whatsoever," you're right. The HDMI cable is still the same four shielded 100-ohm twisted pairs, still subject to the same technical and manufacturing limitations. And don't draw any consolation from those modest "bandwidth" requirements, stated in Megahertz; those numbers are the frequencies of the clock pulses, which run at 1/10 the rate of the data pairs, and why the HDMI people chose to call those the "bandwidth" requirements of the cable is anyone's guess. The only good news here is that the bitrates quoted are the summed bitrates of the three color channels -- so a twisted pair's potential bandwidth requirement has gone up "only" to 3.4 Gbps rather than 10.2.

(That date should be 2006, not 2005.)

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/whats-the-matter-with-hdmi.htm

Stefan, in the next couple years there's going to be a lot of money made from people paying way too much for "certified HDMI 1.3" cables. Back in the mid-eighties when CDs and CD players first came out all the speaker companies came out with "digital ready" speakers. It's all about marketing and the buyer's ignorance.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us