Playstation 3 and HD Dolby Digital

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 74
I have a Playstation 3 which has Dolby Digital HD. In order to play in DD HD does the reciever have to DD HD also.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 394
Yes, since the reciever is the one outputting the sound.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 395
Sorry, DD at the very least. The HD portion is just picture.
Whereas the DD is the surround sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 95
Hi Albert, I've read a bit about the two new dolby standards for HD disks. I think "Dolby True HD" is a new lossless / uncompressed codec your reciver must support to play, and "Dolby Digital Plus" or DD+ is a backwards compatible update to the dolby digital found on regular dvd disks.

I believe DD+ is "core + extention" update where a standard receiver fed a "DD+" signal will process the core signal and not see the extension. However, Dolby claim the core part of the signal will be the best / highest bitrate Dolby Digital possible and therefore be better than what you get from a standard dvd.

In other words DD+ on HD disks should offer a better DD for standard receivers (I'm guessing it will be marginal).

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1369
­
Albert, by "Doby Digital HD" I assume you mean Dolby Digital TrueHD, the new true "lossless" digital audio sound that is made possible by the tremendous storage capacity afforded by both blue laser formats. HDMI version 1.3's new expanded bandwidth makes it possible to send Dolby Digital TrueHD (and DTS-HD Master Audio) to receivers/processors equipped to decode these lossless bitstreams. To my knowledge, there are no receivers or pre/pros on the market with this decoding power.

For the time being, the only way to hear these new super audio tracks is to use a player with separate analog outputs for all channels, and of course a receiver or pre/pro with corresponding inputs. The standard Toslink (optical) or S/PDIF (coax) cannot carry these lossless audio formats. This is assuming the movie disc has a lossless track on it. It is not clear whether DD TrueHD will become standard on all hi-res video discs.

I do not own a PS3, but from what I can tell it does not have multi-channel outputs, so yes, the receiver has to be HDMI 1.3 capable and it must have the necessary DACs on board capable of processing these DD and DTS lossless audio codecs.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1370
­
Sorry Mike, our posts crossed. Just to clarify, Dolby Digital Plus (or DD+) is an intermediate stage with higher bitrates that standard DD, but not true lossless as is Dolby Digital TrueHD.
­

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 96
"Just to clarify, Dolby Digital Plus (or DD+) is an intermediate stage with higher bitrates that standard DD, but not true lossless as is Dolby Digital TrueHD."

hmm, I noticed a trend here lately, people saying the same thing as me, but more elegantly with 20% of the words! Nicely put John

Looks like I got the core + extension bit wrong too (maybe I was thinking about the enhancements to DTS?). Just looked at the dolby site, and it says DD is supported from DD+ by a low latency, low complexity CONVERSION of DD+ into a 640kbps DD bitstream.

The DD+ FAQ also states, it is manditory to support DD+ to DD conversion in any DD+ decoder.

Hopefully I haven't badly misquoted (the pdf didn't allow a copy and paste...).

http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/tech_library/DDPlus_FAQ.pdf

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1371
­
Mike, I don't have time to comment further right now.

You can copy/paste from PDF by clicking the "I>Select" button next to the "Hand Tool" button....I'm no expert on these things, I just discovered it by accident.

I appreciate the link and will re-read it later.

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 97
Hi John,
I think its up to the pdf creator whether they allow selection, copying or printing from their PDF's. (only work around is screen shots and OCR software...).

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 100
100th post, do I get a prize? John what happen at 1,000?

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 101
lets see... ooooweee it says silver

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1372
­
"100th post, do I get a prize? John what happen at 1,000?"

At 1001 you turn Gold....unless your foot fits the glass slipper before that.Upload

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1373
­
Mike, here is the best one-page summary on the subject I've seen:

http://www.avguide.com/features/hd-dvd/hddvd-sound.php

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 41
If you're receiver is HDMI v1.1 or higher, set the audio output on the PS3 to PCM and you'll be able to decode the new formats. It won't do DTS Master HD, but the Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby True HD will work.

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 42
From HDMI.org:

"The latest lossless surround sound formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) can not be transmitted on the traditional SPDIF (also called IEC-958) digital audio interfaces due to the very high data rates of these new formats that exceed the capabilities of SPDIF. SPDIF has a 6.1Mbps maximum data rate, while DTS-HD Master Audio, for example, can require up to 24Mbps.

The HDMI spec, since the first 1.0 version, enabled up to 8 channels of 192kHz PCM audio to be supported, which means that decoded Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio can be handled. In fact, most (if not all) of the HD-DVD and BluRay players have the ability to decode these formats and transport them as multi-channel PCM on HDMI. This is great, because quite a few HDMI AV receivers can receive multi-channel PCM on their HDMI inputs, and thus render them on the speakers.

HDMI 1.3 adds the ability to transmit encoded DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio on HDMI. This adds another level of flexibility to choose where the audio is decoded (by the source, or by the AV receiver for example). But as mentioned before, HDMI 1.3 is not required to enjoy these new lossless audio formats since devices can perform the decoding in the source and then transmit the audio as decoded PCM instead."

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1381
­
It is understood that HDMI 1.3 is not necessary for multi-channel PCM audio, but I'm not so sure that there are many HDMI equipped receivers that will recognize and properly deal with that data stream. But even if that isn't a problem, it is my understanding that PCM audio must be an option on the disc itself, much like choosing DD or DTS on a standard DVD. Many Blu-ray discs do not have uncomressed PCM audio as an option, so you have to settle for whatever is on the disc.

Recently, I did a quick survey on the limited selection of Blu-ray and HD DVD discs at my local Target. (Actually I am surprised they had as many as they do, although they do sell the 360 and its HD DVD add-on player. No PS3s were in sight.) About half of the Blu-ray discs did advertize the availability of uncompressed PCM, while many major releases offered no more than DD 5.1.....like Babel, MI:3, T2, Superman Returns (the Superman disc did have DTS ES HD). Regarding the HD DVD discs, there was no mention of uncompressed PCM on any of them and only a couple had Dolby Digital TrueHD. Dolby Digital Plus does seem to be common on the HD DVD side of the fence, though.
­

Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 4
i have a ps3 and an onkyo 804 which would be the best way to set my audio for the ps3 and the reciever. pcm linear or bitstream?? i understand that hdmi 1.1 can not transfer full uncompressed audio but i dont know of any 1.3 recievers out there. so in this case do i need to get a a blu-ray player with separate chanel outputs for full uncomprased audio???? i have been trying to figure this out for a while
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us