NAD 763 Problem

Username: Cemib24

Post Number: 1
I just finished my HT with a NAD 763 and the sound is terribly borring. The setup is with B&W805's and a Martin Logan Descent Sub. Room was tuned with CARA 2.2.

I tested the same setup with a cheap Harman Kardon and a SONY ES, and the difference was HUGE, to say the least.

Apart from that, the worst problem I am getting is that the NAD is never consistent in its sound. With a few DVDs it sounds almost acceptable but with most DVD's its just like it doesn't do the decoding properly (and the volume is way too low).

I have played with all the settings, even with the PC software from NAD. Checked every inch of the Manual, and nothing helps.

Problem is that I dont have money to get another unit soon and the crappy Dealer wont take it back.

Any advice other that selling it on e-bay?

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 92
"its just like it doesn't do the decoding properly "

Very odd, a few questions...
- have you accidentily compressed the dynamic range? look for "L. Nite" button on the remote (think disk must support this though)
- are your speakers in phase?
- have you tried both optical and coxail connections to the dvd?
- Ermm, have you tried dolby and dts soundtracks?
- is there a distinct difference in volume between the test tones and the soundtrack...?
- how is the sound processing for EARS PLII etc for stereo soundtracks and movies?

I'm all out of ideas for now, I have a t753 btw

Mike

Post Number: 3
I will check again about the dynamic range compression. I think it is off.

The speakers are in phase. I tried with different speaker cables and had a very small improvement with some cables.

I also tried with both optical and coaxial cables from 2 different dvd's and a Meridian CD Player. No improvement there.

The problem is the same with dolby and DTS soundtracks.

The test tones sound perfecly well. I checked with an SPL meter and it only required minor adjustments.

I have never listened to another receiver using EARS. But in my 763, EARS is just crap. PLII also is unaceptable. I have played with all the other surround modes and it never sounds well.

Stereo is the best option for now but is sounds very dull.

The NAD dealer says it is the B&W's that are dull (because he sells Paradigms). I was starting to believe him, but then I tried with a Harman Kardon from a friend and they sounded great.

Another thing, when I use the SPL Meter and the test tones, I only have to adjust 1db here and there to get all even. But if I play a DD movie like that, I almost can't hear the main speakers. To hear them, I have to give +5db to the mains and -5db to the center. Thats why I think the problem is in the decoding.

The mains are B&W805 (88db) and the center is a B&W LCR600S3 (89db).

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 94
"Another thing, when I use the SPL Meter and the test tones, I only have to adjust 1db here and there to get all even. To hear them, I have to give +5db to the mains and -5db to the centre. Thats why I think the problem is in the decoding."

On first glance, my reaction was, well you shouldn't hear each individual speaker in the sound field anyway, and so are you're turning the front up to much? However, if the cheap HK was good and the NAD sucked, this can't be the case, so I guess the "sound field" created from balancing the test tones has big holes in it?

Couple of suggestions for you,
1. DVD disk test tones vs receiver test tones, any difference?
2. Try a DVD player with 5.1 output (the 6 analogue rca cable)
3. Reset the firmware and try again

1. get a setup DVD with test tones on it and compare the levels between those generated by the amp and those generated by the DVD. If the amp test tones suggest -1db on the centre, and the DVD test tones suggest -5db there's the proof it doesn't work properly.

2. My other suggestion is to get hold of a dvd with a DD decoder and try the amps analogue 5.1 input. You'll then know if the t763's decoder is the problem.

3. You could also try resetting the firmware back to default and setting it up from scratch just in case there is something you've missed?

"Just got off the phone with my NAD rep.. for the T753, he advises this process..

-> while the unit is on.. hold VIDEO6 and SOURCE right button (the outer two buttons on the bottom row) down for 5 sec's- the display will change a message
-> let go of them and the firmware will reset
-> turn the main power off (black pushbutton on the back of the receiver)
-> power back on... and you have a clean slate"

I have to admit I had been missing the spark out of my system for music, and dvd was just okay (NAD T753 and monitor audio silver speaker package too). But I recently have made a good improvement at the same time as I replaced my speaker wire. I can't whether the improvement was the wire itself, the proper speaker positioning the longer cables allowed, or the avoiding of the poor banana termination on the old cable, but I'm much happier :- )

Good Luck,
Mike

Post Number: 4
"... you shouldn't hear each individual speaker in the sound field anyway ..."

Thats true, and that is the case with all receivers I have seen.

I have tried with the reset twice and it doesn't solve the problem.

I think I have a DVD with test tones. Also, the option about the DVD with 5.1 analogue output may do.

Talking about " missing the spark", before this NAD, I was using a SONY ES for movies and a Conrad Johnson pre/power for music. But I sold the CJ and the ES broke after 5 years. Now I am missing the spark big time.

Thanks for the idea.

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 98
Good luck eh!
If you're seriously considering selling the NAD, it may pay to do it before a T764 is released as it might drop your price a little?. A new T744 and T754 have been out for a while now.

Another thought, you could always try pulling the jumpers off the NAD and use it as a preamp for that cheap HK's 5.1 inputs? That might be a way of comparing two decoders over the same amplification (that is if you can get a decoding dvd player)? Maybe that dealer who won't take it back will let you demo a dvd-a player?

Mike

Post Number: 5
Today I placed the receiver as well as the Meridian CD Player in a local classifieds page. If it doesn't work, I will try ebay.

As for the HK DPR, it was loaned from an uncle. I had it for a couple of days just for the test. By cheap I mean that the NAD was $1,300 and the HK was $750 at Costco (so it was almost half the price).

Thanks for your advice.

Post Number: 6
Mike:

Just to let you know. I connected the Meridian CD Player to the external inputs (as you suggested with a DVD) and the sound is much better. Only have tested stereo.

Thanks,
Victor

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 102
Interesting, I might have to compare the decoder in my old sony dvd to my T753 and see how it goes..

Post Number: 7
Mike:

Last Tuesday I took the 763 to the Dealer because they told me that they wanted to have a look at it. Yesterday they called me to go there and see it. They had it installed in their show room and none of the problems happened. I stayed there over an hour playing with the settings and comparing the DVD, CD and External inputs and it just sounded VERY good with all inputs.

The only difference was that I had to reduce the gain -6db in the External to make it the same volume as the CD input.

Anyways, the point is that it was not showing any of the problems that it has when connected in my room.

Last night, I checked the outlets with a tester but they were ok. I guess I will have to buy a good line conditioner to see if the problem gets fixed.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Victor

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 104
Hi mate, been on holiday for past few weeks otherwise I would have replied earlier. Sounds like you may get it sorted... I've got no experience with line conditioners and power problems. I'm at my in-laws at the moment. There power is rubbish. Hair dryers don't run at full noise, and the lights dim and flicker for a moment when the spa pool kicks in. Anyway, hope it works out. Be interested in what difference a line conditioner makes.

Mike

Post Number: 8
Got a new Panamax 5100 but it came broken right out of the box so I am back using a multiplug. I may be buying one on e-bay cause here they are overcharging for everything.

Post Number: 9
Just an update on the NAD763 problem.

I loaned an Adcom 50wpc stereo amplifier and connected the NAD pre-outs to the Adcom for the main speakers.

It seems that this has solved the problem.

With only 50wpc the NAD/Adcom sounds surprisingly larger and much more dynamic.

I guess the NAD amp section is its weakest part.

I have been listening to my music for days in this setup and it is definitivelly a HUGE improvement.

Also, with this setup I saw several movies and the sound was good enough for me. It really is much better than using the NAD alone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us