Too complicated

Username: Qriss

Post Number: 1
hi
i bought myself a 5.1 system (b&w boxes and the ASW 650subwoofer)
as sender receiver i got the pioneer vsx-2016

for the moment i got lots of problems so here i am:

1/ my subwoofer does not work, it dus when i let the mcacc autoconfigure itself, but when i play a movie (pirates of the carribean 2) it doesnot give any sound. there is only one out on my vsx-2016 and two line-in connections on the subwoofer. They are connected with a 2-2 cinch cable (i only use the red connection)

2/ this evening i tried again and i even lost my surround (the two rear boxes) (though my dvd is connected with cinch to my vsx and it worked last time just fine, without the subwoofer though, see 1/)

3/ i can listen to the radio (not through antenna but by cable) but cannot seem to get sound out of the two rear boxes, only center and the two front.

4/ same problem as in 3/ when i listen to a cd played on the dvd above (maybe same solution as problem 2/ ?)

Does anybody know this device?
Which settings do i need to use for what?

Qriss

btw all boxes (except mayb subwoofer not) are connected correct)
and i can configure the mcacc

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12860
Check the LFE or sub output of your Pioneer. It is usually only one and it connects to the "right" input of your subwoofer.

Check the manual of your receiver and indicate during the speaker set-up that you have a subwoofer connected.

Check the connection of your DVD player, is it connected via digital audio output to your receiver?

If you are using the tuner, you have to configure your receiver to different listening modes, if you want to use all your speakers.

If your CD player is connected via stereo analog connection, again you will not be getting sound from all the speakers unless the receiver is configured correctly. You will get stereo only if using stereo anlog cables.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1173
Qriss:

Lots of issues:

A. I wonder if the problem with the subwoofer is your DVD player. This is a problem I ran into some time ago, but some DVD players must be set up for 5.1 sound--otherwise they merely produce stereo sound, in which case your subwoofer will not work. Check the menus on your DVD player to make sure it is set up for 5.1 sound.

B. How do you have the DVD player connected to the receiver? Only by using a digital connection (Optical or digital coax) can you get 5.1 sound and sound out of your subwoofer.

C. Finally, make sure that you have assigned a digital input to DVD--some receivers require such an assignment for the sound to play in a surround sound format.

2. See 1.

3. Radio is stereo--it is likely you are only going to get sound from your mains, unless you are playing them back into a surround sound format such as Dolby Pro-Logic II.

4. Again, a cd is stereo sound, so unless it is processed by the receiver's processor in Dolby Pro Logic or similar format, you are only going to get sound from the front.

The fact that you used to get sound from your rear speakers and then suddenly you did not sounds makes me believe that you were simply in a surround sound format, but now you are not (defaulted to stereo absent a surround sound format).

Username: Mysticladie

Adelaide, Australia Australia

Post Number: 1
Lets keep it simple.
I live in Australia and I am finding it very @#$% confusing, time wasting and frustrating to get good honest advice.

I have looked into Bose Lifestyle 48 so I can enjoy my music all over the house - i can store my music on the harddrive so at parties my cds dont get @%^&.
I was recommended Krix speakers for the outdoors.
Total home theatre cost approx $9000 AU.

The TV I like Pioneer 500 something 52" 1080hp is all i can remember Oh yeh the price tag $5999AU. I remember that bit

I would appreciate anyones advice on this one because all this techanical jargon is somewhat confusing.
Jude

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12935
Jude,
Post your query in the Home Audio forum under Speakers. We have a very knowledgeable member going by MR who also hails from Australia. He may be able to point you in the right direction.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us