What exactly is THX, and is it worth paying more for a THX receiver?

Username: Xanthan

Post Number: 6
It seems most if not all of the THX receivers are high end units. What is the benifit of THX, is it worth the price?

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 225
not according to every d=salesman i talk to.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 226
What is THX?
THX is a common--and commonly confused--buzzword in home theater. THX is an audio and video certification process for home theater products and theaters that meet a certain standard of quality. This certification is meant to ease home theater buying by identifying products that meet or exceed the high standards set by Lucasfilm's THX department. THX is often confused with Dolby Digital or DTS formats. Often people pose the question, "Do I need THX?" The answer, quite simply, is "No." If your budget affords the luxury of buying THX-certified components, you can be assured you are buying quality products, but they are not necessary for the budget consumer.

There are two different classifications: THX Select and THX Ultra. THX Ultra products (see Figure 2.9) meet or exceed very high performance criteria. THX Ultra products usually reside in high-end home theater components. Home theater receivers featuring THX Ultra certification can cost several thousand dollars. THX Ultra is a certification for theaters that will be larger than 3,000 cubic feet. THX Select, on the other hand, is recommended for smaller theaters, ranging in size up to 3,000 cubic feet.

from some magazine

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12825
THX is not indicative of high end units.

Any receiver worth its weight can meet and exceed THX certifications, the makers just don't bother with getting the approval of THX or Lucas or whoever is in charge of that now.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 404
I'm surprised that a lot of the h/k amps are not THX

there built pretty well and have plenty of power and such

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13002
No big deal.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1182
Some of the poorest sounding products I have heard are THX certified, and some of the best sounding components are not certified (because the manufacturer decided it was not worth paying to have the product tested and certified). THX certification means nothing anymore, IMO.

Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 9
THX is a post audio format and does not come from the original source. i have a THX select 2 reciever, and i still selct dts when i can but put it on THX select 2.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 393
Look at the Klipsch ProMeda 2.1 for an example of a poor sounding example of a THX certification. The sats are bright and harsh, and the subwoofer is boomy and easily located.

I hate to say it, but my Bose companion 3 wipes the floor with the ProMedias. They are smoother sounding, and not as painful to listen to.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 394
I did own the Promedias, for over a year. So I had a good idea of what they sounded like.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 25
i have a onkyo thx reciever and i love everything about it.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 397
Onkyo is a halfway decent reciever though... that is the difference. It is built well enough to provide decent sound.

Username: Slimwhit33

Post Number: 3
I have a Pioneer THX receiver and it was a huge upgrade over my old H/K... I love it.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4019
The professional version is totally different the home cinema application sure good room acoustics but unless you have a few feet of concrete to keep outside sound pressures from getting in and from getting outside the room forget that part I'd say only a few have got good isolation noise background levels.

Also most that do my not have the loudspeakers properly addressed with active cross over frequency dividing networks for LF and HF over the matching front loudspeakers Left centre and right. I doubt some have even considered placing the fronts along with the sub bass in baffle wall of THX baffle wall that is covered over with high frequency absorbent material, this will reinforce the sub bass and bass while keep reflections off the front wall, or best when used with a perforated screen for use with video projector reflections would bounce off the screen and then onto the untreated wall thus making it sound harsh.

As for the rest of circuitry that deals with timber balancing between fronts and backs when sound is panned from the front say a helicopter flyover in the opening of "Grand Canyon" Dolby 3.1 mix that's right left centre right and one single monaural surround sounds great when you've got a good THX set-up.

As for my AVR it's a Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4020
Well I noticed a few words where placed where they shouldn't be, well I'm tired I've been up since 00.00 today and only a few hours kip so there it is.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4021
And how in the world can it be confusing its been around in the cinema since 1983 check out some of the best sounding THX screens or pop on over to the United Kingdom we have the most powerful THX screen in the whole of Europe anywhere. 56KW that's right 56KW and JBL sound system that would have you drooling for months on end!

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1708
­
Tomlinson Holman

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4024
Would you like links to the whole interview its very interesting and informative.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us