Upgrade - What do you think ?

Username: Ssin680

Post Number: 1
Hi,

First please apologize for my english since I'm french speaking ;)

I bought 2 years ago a 42 inches Sony Grand Vega TV for my room which size is 12 * 18 feet. I was sold a Denon AVR 1505/485 and Denon SYS 65HT for speakers.

I am not happy with the sound I get when I look at a DVD or HD TV. It's now time for me to upgrade !

My problem is that I don't know too much about what's available and my knowledge lever is quite low when talking about audio systems.

My actual budget is around 2000$. Is it possible to do something good with this amount ? Is this too much for my needs ?

I was proposed to keep my actual receiver and change my speakers for the Paradigm Cinema 110CT kit. Any thoughts or comments on these ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Charles

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12812
Change the speakers first, Denon speakers are not great.

Post Number: 2
OK, but do you think that this Paradigm kit is "enough" or should I invest more and eventualy change the A/V Receiver ?

Thank you for your help !

Charles

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12815
Unfortunately, whatever is "enough" cannot be determined by another person other than yourself.

Try it out first and listen. Go from there. The Paradigm cinema is a much better speaker set than your current Denon set.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1169
Charles:

I have a different view. I believe the first thing that needs to be changed is the receiver. You can never know if your speakers are good enough until they are getting sufficient power. Unfortunately, that Denon you have is not up to the job. It is rated at 75 wpc, but that is when driving only two channels at a time. I have consistently noticed that bench tests of Denon receivers show that when driving 5 channels, you can expect a 30-50% drop in power from the receiver's power rating. So, at best, you are looking at a 50 wpc receiver, but even worse, the power supply is so small, it has no reserve. No doubt the sound you are hearing is "thin" (no real body) and "strained." This is because of the weak power supply. Changing the speakers is not going to improve the sound as you will still have a weak underpowered receiver huffing and puffing to deliver the sound.

You should look into a Harman/Kardon, Marantz or NAD receiver. Each of those brands has a very strong power supply and the greater current that the power supply can deliver will make for much better sound--something you should be able to hear right away. Unfortunately, your Denon does not have pre-outs or you could solve your problem with the addition of a good outboard power amp. I suggest you look closely into the NAD T753/754 or the Harman/kardon AVR 435. Each has a modest rating (65 or 70 wpc), but their power supplies can deliver so much more current that they will sound about 3 to 4 times more powerful than your Denon.

After you have replaced the Denon receiver, then I would explore getting new speakers. BTW, NAD receivers with Paradigm speakers is, in my experience, and awesome combo.

Bon chance!

Post Number: 3
Thank you Hawk,

I appreciate both opinions !

I just don't want to spend 1000$ on speakers that won't satisfy me if the problem is the receiver. And knowing nothing about it I would not have bought or even consider a HK 435 just because of the 65 wpc.

I tried to find dealers for NAD in Canada and I think that it will not be easy to find some. I found some HK at Futureshop. They have the AVR 245 at 749$ and the AVR 445 at 1299$. Most dealers sell Yamaha and Denon. Any suggestion for these ?

And if I decide to change my receiver, I guess I should wait before to change my speakers despite the fact this will not make them greater speakers ??

Thank you

Charles

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12820
By the way, your English and grammar are beyond some of the people I meet that are born in America :-)

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1170
I agree with Berny! Your English is admirable.

I am surprised that NAD is a problem to find, since NAD is part of Lenbrook Group, a Canadian company. Here is the NAD webpage for finding a Canadian dealer through your own postal code:

http://nadelectronics.com/dealers/canada

Now, I understand your budget constraints. Don't be afraid to go for a H/K 340. That model is between the 245 and the 445, so I assume the price will be between the two, as well. It will also have plenty of power for your system. Driving 5 channels instead of 7, it will probably do an honest 60wpc, but even then H/K publishes the Peak Current Capability, which is 35 amps, so you will have plenty of power, IMO. Even the 50 wpc NAD T744 would be a big step up from your current receiver.

Now, after some thought, I remembered that Harman Kardon disposes of their factory refurbs on eBay, under the Moniker "Harman Direct." A further investigation found that you can get some very nice deals on new H/K receivers from dealers selling on eBay Express, and many will ship to Canada (isn't free trade great?!). Here is a link:

http://search.express.ebay.com/__Home-Audio-Receivers-Tuners_harman-kardon_W0QQ_ nkwZharmanQ20kardonQQruZhttpQ3aQ2fQ2felectronicsQ2esearchQ2eebayQ2ecomQ3a80Q2fha rmanQ2dkardonQ5fHomeQ2dAudioQ5fW0Q51Q51fromQ5AR34Q51Q51sacatQ5A14969QQ_fxdZ1

You can hunt through the listings here for a good deal, although you will have to figure out the conversion from the listed US prices, but that should be easy enough. I have also sent an e-mail to some dealers I know and have dealt with in the past to see if they ship to Canada, which I will report on when I get a reply.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1172
Charles:

I already got a response from Andy Zimmerman at Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago. They are an NAD dealer and they do ship to Canada. They will offer a discount on the MSRP, so give them a call for a quote both for a receiver and for shipping to your home. Here is their website where you can find their phone number:

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

They are nice people to deal with, in my experience.

Post Number: 4
Wow !!

Thank you so much guys. I also found last night a NAD Dealer not that far from home. I'll call them.

Have a great day !

Merci beaucoup ;)

Charles

Post Number: 5
Hi,

A question about the Paradigm Cinema 110CT kit.

Would it still be OK with either the NAD T754 or the HK AVR445 or if I should buy something else to enjoy the new receiver ?

Post Number: 6
Me again...

I found the HK CP35 system on sale for 1299 CAN$. It includes a AVR 335, a DVD31 and a 7.1 speaker system with the HKTS 14 and HKS 4.

Would it be a nice buy compared to what I have actualy ?

How are HK speakers comparable to

a)the Denon that I already own ?
b)the Paradigm Cinema 110CT ?

Thank you

Charles

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12910
My personal preference will not include HK speakers anywhere, they are very subdued and I think they lack detail.

Listen and trust your own ears, ours are irrelevant.

Post Number: 7
Hi,

Just to let you know that i finaly bought a HK AVR445 :-)

I'll install it as soon as it arrives and then I'll begin to look for new speakers :-)

Charles
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us