Optical hook up for 5.1???

Username: Reaper22

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 1
I have a Pioneer VSX-509S with 3 in optical hookups and 1 out, I have a JVC DR-MV7SU dvd recorder with 1 optical out.. My ? is that when I hook up my optical out to the receiver in and I assign it in the receiver setup I can only get sound from my 2 front speakers, I thought the optical would allow me to get 5.1 or am I thinking wrong..
Thanks for your time..

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12691
Yes, optical CAN allow you to get 5.1, however, if your source is not in 5.1, it is not going to happen. Your receiver can give 5.1 from any signal, but it will not be in true surround.

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny, My book to my dvd recorder says,"Six channel digital suround sound via digital connection can be optained if your receiver is equipped with a digital muti-channel decoder" So it sounds like this receiver does not have a decoder cuz my other dvd player will not put out 5.1 unless the analog 5.1 hookups are made, so it looks like I need a newer unit..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12694
Whoah! Hold on there a minute Donnie!

Don't go changing your unit yet. That model Pioneer IS capable of decoding multi channel. It has a Dolby and DTS decoder.

What I meant by source is your source material. Your DVDs for example. If they are encoded in 5.1, you will get multi channel.

Just because you have a digital optical connection, if your source material is in mono or stereo only, your receiver will reproduce that.

If your other DVD player only puts out 5.1 through analog cables, you are probably doing something wrong. Does the other DVD player have digital output connnections? If it does, you need to go to the set-up menu of your DVD player and toggle on the digital output.

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 4
Thanks for clearing that up Berny, This reciver does a nice job, both of my dvd players have optical outputs, I set them on like pcm and bitstream settings in the settings menu, the same starwars movie will only have surround cuz it has 5.1 analog hookups, If I hooh up the optical cable only the the front speakers will work on either dvd units.. I have the optical settings asigned to the proper channels on the receiver..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12699
Is the receiver on "auto-detect"?

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 6
I donot see an auto-detect, It just lets me assign the optical in on receiver dvd,tv,cd,cd-r,vcr or off..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12703
Check your manual and look under audio set-up.

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 7
Again, Thanks Berny, I looked in the manual and there is no auto set-up, Just coax and optical input settings..I am going to try and play with settings to see if I might have missed something. I'll let ya know if I find something..

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 8
Boy do I feel stupid.. Well Berny, I should have done the sound modes cuz it does work.. switched to standard mode and that kicks in the decoder, from there I can set advanced modes like musical, drama, action and expanded..Then I discovered the DPS modes like hall 1&2, jazz, theater 1&2. Hey man thanks for putting my nose on the trail, I have had this receiver for some time but just now got the bose system and 50" plasma tv so now I want to play.Should I upgrade receivers?? Hey man one other thing, is 5.1 analog hookups better than the optical hookups..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12711
Is there anyway you can return the Bose? :-)

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 9
After hearing the negitives on bose here I wish I could, But check it out I walked into this store called K's merchanise and there was a price of $325 on AM6 series III's, I ask are you sure this price was right and the guy said yea cuz it was the last ones they had, well then he came out with an unopened box, well I went back the next day and they were $650 so not a bad deal..anywho this store was closing down and long story short I went back several months later and bought the floor model am6's minus one cube for $181 so I thought I would put them on ebay, Hey Berny what speakers do you recommend?? keep it reasonable like I said before I donot have a very large room..
Thanks Man..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12715
What is the budget for speakers?

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 10
Kinda depends what I get out of the Bose.. But I.ll geuss and say $500.. The cubes sound pretty good but the bass sucks, is there a reason you do not prefer bose?? Just asking cuz thats really the only ones I have looked at because I was told they sound the best....
Thakns Berny..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12724
Who told you they sound the best? LOL!

Do the speakers have to be small?

Bronze Member

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 11
Well I geuss when you hear the name bose you assume their the best..
Tall ok but not so wide..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12730
That would be a wrong assumption.

Take a look at Athena speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 229
don't let the bose bashers scare you. there may be better but if they sound good to you, enjoy them. a lot of people buy them and a lot actually like them.

Bronze Member

Palmyra, Missouri

Post Number: 12
Thanks Bill, They do sound good for the size of room they are in and the price I got both am6 series III systems for ($507.00)I am very happy.Although the subs are a bit weak so I got my hands on an older but new in box sony sa-wm40 120 watt powered sub that has an input and an output now I have 10 cubes 2 bose subs and the sony sub.the system is really cool..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us