Question about HDMI Connections

Username: Cpoorman

Post Number: 1
This is probably a stupid question but I'm new to this. I ordered a new full HD plasma TV and HTIB. The TV has 2 HDMI in ports and I saw that the HTIB was HDMI compatible. I just checked the specs and see that the HTIB has one HDMI in and no HDMI out ports.

In order to get the best experience while watching DVDs, will I need to return the HTIB and get one w/ HDMI out port?

Also, to get a full HD signal on HD broadcasts via my non-HD DirectTV receiver, will I need to connect DTV receiver to the TV via HDMI or will regular connections work fine?

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 23
I hear there are splitters where you can send the HDMI to TV and Audio from HDMI to Receiver. I also have HTIB and HDTV...I use the component video from either Satellite or DVD. I then use optical audio to HTIB on either the satellite and digital coax to HTIB on the DVD (or vica versa - does not matter). I honestly could not tell the difference in video from component to HDMI. I know some would beg to differ....but in my opinion component rocks. In fact, I was at Best buy and on their top of the line plasma TV's on display, I looked at their connections and they had component connected to each. I also checked on there home theater systems they had on display and they were using the standard red/white AV connectors...in the show room. This is the same guys that will try to persuade you to buy the $80 Monster cables..when the cheap crap that comes with system is fine. Also their speakers had the standard thin wiring that would come in the box....not the 14 gauge stuff they try to say you need. Again..maybe it does make a difference...but I can not hear nor see the differences. Hope this helps, but I would keep the TV, get some component cables and digital audio cables at Walmart....and you will be happy....if you don't believe me try the HDMI cable directly to TV..then try component....see if you can tell the difference. In fact. Last thing, make sure your TV/DVD/Satellite is setup correctly based on what connections you decide to go with. Some DVD, etc, will have a choice if you are using basic video, component, etc.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1317
­
Chris, are you sure that HDMI port on the HTIB is an input? What practical use would a single HDMI in (and no out) be? HDMI outs are more common on HTIBs, as with units with "upconverting" DVD players.

You will have to get yourself a real HD satellite receiver in order to see real HD video. You would want to try the HD box's HDMI output, if it has one. But I think Mark is right---I wouldn't get all hung up on the HDMI thing. Component-type analog video hookups will eventually be replaced by digital connections (like HDMI), but for now component is more reliable and glitch free.
­

Post Number: 3
Thanks John and Mark. I looked up the specs and indeed, this unit only has HDMI in w/ no out. I was going to order a Sony Dream system w/ HDMI Upconvert but didn't want to wait the extra couple weeks to receive it so I ordered a Panasonic.

I guess the real question now is, is HDMI upconvert that big of an improvement for someone that just wants to have good quality video and sound? I'm hearing probably not that big of a deal and will probably stick w/ the Panasonic HTIB I ordered and take the $100 HDMI cable back.

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 27
From what I have heard the up convert does not give the same as 1080i. Even so, standard DVD simply rocks on a good TV. Component video is also awesome...shoot..S-video is great too and would bet you would have a heck of a time seeing the difference unless right next to each other. Component video on a good tv will not leave you wanting more...guarantee it. The real experience is in the sound. You need a good HTIB or in home system for this. I think you would want at least a 200w powered sub minimum. Use either the optical or digital coax from dvd for this. If you have a nice TV and satellite, then order up high def...then you get a different satellite receiver that allows digital sound out. Also...DO NOT spend alot on cables. That $100 HDMI you bought you could have purchased at Walmart for a fraction. Again...I can not see difference in quality from component to HDMI let alone difference in cable within HDMI range. Not saying they are not good cables...just don't think you will see any difference in picture quality..If you doubt...buy a cheap one..try one..try the other...then return one when convinced.

Post Number: 4
Thanks guys. I will follow your advise and go component video and digital/optical coax. Thanks for the help...you've saved me time, money, and angst wondering if I had the "right" setup.

Post Number: 5
Just doing a bit more research...the web site of the store I purchased this unit at says no HDMI output. I just checked CNET, BestBuy, and the mfr site and it looks like it does have HDMI out. John was correct in assuming it must be an out but I appreciate the feedback as I learned more about these formats.

Username: Cal0902

Post Number: 1
My first post - i'm new to this,can someone help please !
i've just hooked up my sky hd box to a pioneer plasma tv via an hdmi cable on digi input 4.
The plasma screen is linked to my yamaha digital sound projector via an optical cable.
sky hd box will not play through the digi projector.
If i hit the dtv button the yamaha shakes the house !
is there a setting adj. required on the plasma screen or do i need another optical cable from the hd box to the projector ?
i was lead to believe that the hdmi cable did it all

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1328
­
"i was lead to believe that the hdmi cable did it all"

And so were we all, only there's some growing pains to resolve with that system. However, the problem here isn't with the HDMI interconnect, but rather with how the TV works. That optical output on the plasma operates only when the TV's internal HD tuner senses a Dolby Digital signal through the TV's aerial input and not from an external tuner like the skybox.

"do i need another optical cable from the hd box to the projector ?"

Just take that optical cable off the TV and connect the skybox to the Yamaha. Then you will find joy.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us