Need a refresher course

Username: Flyguychad

Post Number: 1
Hey I have been out of the audio game for sometime now, and with the purchase of an LCD I really would like the sound to accompany the picture. I have a dvd player already, and xbox 360 and an LCD. I am looking to buy a new amplifier and maybe some speakers.

My first question is: Do I use an optical cord(sorry if terminalogy isnt correct) to connect the tv to the amplifier, and then connect the xbox360 and dvd player to the amplifier? Is it that simple to have surround sound to the dvd's and 360?

2nd question can someone recommend some average amplifiers or recievers to help me with this setup? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1058
Chad:

First question answer: Many newer LCDs have what is called a Toslink optical output, so you can use an optical interconnect cable to connect your tv to the receiver. Alternatively, you can also use standard RCA-type interconnects as well using the RCA type stereo outputs, but that will only give you stereo sound. Using a Toslink will give you 5.1 sound if the program material provides 5.1 sound (many programs on the HiDef channels will have some programs in 5.1 sound).

Second question asnwer: Now, no sense in having a really nice LCD and a mediocre sound system (or worse). I can recommend a number of good systems, but you will need to answer my questions for me to suggest the appropriate sound system. Receivers I recommend under $1000 would include NAD, Marantz, Harman/Kardon, Pioneer Elite, and Outlaw. These are the only brands that put good power supplies in their receivers under $1K. Everyone else uses undersized power supplies that have no hope of producing their rated power into five channels. As for speaker choices, well, there are too many to suggest any here without knowing more of what you want in a speaker. And, it will also depend upon what receiver you would end up getting. A speaker appropriate for the NAD or Outlaw is not appropriate for a Pioneer Elite or H/K, for example. So, answer the folowing questions and I can make some concrete suggestions:

1. How big is your room?

2. Do you have a preference on the speaker type (floorstander, stand-mounted, wall-mounted, in-wall, etc.)?

3. How big is your new LCD?

4. Is you LCD mounted on the wall on is it on a cabinet?

5. What is your budget for your sound system?

Post Number: 2
Thanks Hawk,

1.My room is about 15x20
2. I really don't need new speakers, but floorstander- budget=$200
3. LCD is 42''
4. The LCD is on a stand.
5. Budget in reality is about 350 bucks for an amplifier and some cables.

I don't have a lot of money to spend, I am first interested in upgrading the reciever and getting my 360 and dvd player hooked up the surround sound. I would really like the 360 and dvd player to still have sound through the tv speakers when the receiver is off? How is this possible? What is this HDMI I keep hearing about, and can I connect using that? What happened to the old standard of S Video?

Post Number: 3
After actually measuring my room it is 10' x 15'

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 877
Hawk, doesn't Pioneer also have some good receivers in their non-elite line which Chad could afford?

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1063
Chad:

OK, I can help here. First, you need a decent amp/receiver with good power. For your budget, I strongly recommend this one:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4600BLKA

This receiver was recently discontinued (model change and the newer units are not as good), so you won't find this one available for a long period of time. If you want this receiver, you should move soon. It is a very fine unit for the money. Frankly, it is very hard to find a quality receiver for under $400.

Having the 360 and the DVD hooked up to the tv and the receiver is possible, how we do it may depend upon what output ports exist on both units. First, connect the DVD's video signal directly to the tv using component video cables, or an S-Video cable if you prefer. Second, also connect the DVD's sound to the tv using stereo patch cables (RCA type interconnects). Finally, connect the DVD to the receiver using a digital signal cable. Now, most dvd players have both a Toslink (optical) and a digital coax output, but it may have only one or the other--it doesn't matter as either one will be fine. This will send the 5.1 signal to your receiver, which is where you want it. That is all you need to do.

The 360 seems pretty straight forward, as well. As I review the xbox web page, it appears that the xbox should be connected directly to the tv, using the cables included with your xbox. Then run a pair of RCA type stereo interconnects from the tv's audio outs to one of the receiver's stereo inputs. It appears that the xbox only has stereo sound, so you don't seem to need anything more.

HDMI is much more problematic. There are five different HDMI standards: 1.0, 1.1, 1.1A, 1.2, and 1.3 which was just adopted last August. The newest connector is larger than the older ones, so it doesn't even fit physically. HDMI will be great when they get the whole thing standardized as it will allow a totally digital signal to be passed with all of the audio and video contained in a single cable, but right now the whole thing is in a state of flux (actually, its a mess). Furthermore, since it is the new thing that you, the consumer, are told that you have to have, cables run $75 and up--such a rip-off. Just isn't worth the hassle right now.

As for S-Video, it didn't have any more video bandwidth than does a composite cable, so the need for it whithered, and was totally supplanted by component video cables, which can pass a lot more info.

You suggest you also need cables for your receiver, but what kind of cables are you looking for, speaker cables or interconnects (between components such as stereo RCAs and Toslink)? If you need a source for good interconnect cables, try the AR brand cables here:

http://www.hififorless.com/categories.php?categoryid=181

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1064
Andre:

There is a huge difference between Pioneer and Pioneer Elite brands. I will recommend the latter, but not the former, as the non-Elites do not have the same quality power supplies and output transistors. Pioneer is a mass market brand, using the lowest cost components meant to compete on price alone, and the Elites are designed to appeal to people who demand good quality sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 878
About the Xbox, my Xbox I have hooked up with a digital audio cable and some games I play have surround sound. Just wanted to alert you

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1068
I am no expert on xbox, so I went to the xbox webpage. They only showed stereo interconnects to the tv and I couldn't find any page for connections to a receiver for surround sound. Gosh, if they would only show me a picture of the outputs, I can figure the rest out!

Andre: is it a toslink or digital coax type digital connection for the xbox?

Silver Member

Post Number: 879
It's a toslink. They sell packages where you can hook up different types of video and audio cables. You could check the BestBuy website, or Monster Cable (Monster Game) website.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1073
Andre:

Thanks for the help with the xbox's digital connection.

Still, that merely means Chad just adds a toslink interconnect from the xbox to the receiver to what I already outlined. That way he gets both a connection to the tv and a connection to the receiver for those times he wants to use surround sound.

Post Number: 4
sweet, thanks guys for your help. Next step is to buy that reciever, sounds like a great deal. Once I get that and if I run into any problems I will let you know. I will be sure to tell you how it all goes how and how great it will sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 889
Good Luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us