The next component...

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 823
Ok my current receiver which was $299 when I bought it is rated at 100w/channel, but I don't beleive that (Yamaha). It doesn't have any preouts and I was hoping to get more clean power. In the $1000 range what I should I be looking at? Maybe I should start with a Preamp (probably not going spend so much there) that I can hook to the 5.1 inputs on my receiver and use it as an amp while I save up for a real amplifier.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to if I should get one to improve the processing abilities (using my receiver as an amp) before I get an amplfier for more power?

Thanks for suggestions and helping out!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 334
Look into Outlaw Audio for a great price on seperates

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1306
Either what casey said or maybe even piecing together some preowned NAD stuff since I know how much you like the extra power.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5348
New Nad 754.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5349
The Yammies pre-amp is the problem(along with everything else).
Look for Nad(on sale, look for new '4' models) or H/K.

H/K been berry berry good to me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5350
Or a Rotel RB985 type of 5 channel amp, like the one I have as a spare.
Love the amp.
Won't fix the Yammie nature, however.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 298
I agree w/ Nuck.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 299
p.s. and off topic.

You'd think I'd been following you around huh Nuck?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1055
Andre:

Yeah, your Yamaha is probably a 35 wpc receiver when driving 5 channels. Problem is, not only does it not have pre-outs, it doesn't have amp in inputs. If you have the unit I think you have, it has 5.1 channel inputs, but those go through the processor because those inputs are for SACD or DVD-A. They are not direct to the amp.

I agree with Nuck--just go with a T754. You will not believe the difference.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1174142739

Silver Member

Post Number: 867
Ok I found someone who tested it and gave it 50w channel RMS all driven and 110 2 driven.

I'm not so sure those 5.1 inputs do go through the processor. When I switched it to that a second ago, I couldn't put it into any mode, but since I could change the volume you're probably right

Well anything besides Marantz, Rotel, or Pioneer Elite I can't get a 50% or better discount on on unless I get it on Ebay or somewhere like that.
Mind you, I was also thinking about getting a receiver that has preouts for if I ever decide I want more power.

If it's a preamp, what about Rotel's two models (I realize their prices and, of course, before I've look at the others), or if it's a receiver, what about those three brands ($1500 or less)? I'm just saying I'm attracted to the Pioneer Elite line. Speaking of Pioneer Elite, I was wondering if I should be looking for a Dvd player first because the current one I have is a cheapie I was able to get for $40 (50% discount).

Of course, now that I've said that, I'm going to look at what you guys recommended! Thanks.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1060
Hey Andre:

The Pioneer elite receivers are pretty good stuff. It is one of five brands I have identified as having a good power supply for under $1K US. The others are NAD, Marantz, Harman/Kardon, and Outlaw.

The Rotels are superb receivers, but will sound a little softer than and NAD or Pioneer Elite. Rotel is a fine brand, but as they start at $1500, they rarely make discussions as they are out of most people's price range. If you want to stretch for a Rotel, I wouldn't argue with you. I have a Rotel and I really like it. I would suggest, however, that the Outlaw sounds very much like the Rotel RSX-1057, and is very well made. Something to consider in light of your budget.

One thing, though. What speakers do you have? I need you to refresh my memory. What speaker you have to drive will greatly impact any recommendations I may make.

As for a DVD player, I have recently become smitten with the NAD T514, a basic DVD player (progrssive scan) that is just very good, especially for the money. It can be had for about $240, which is not too bad for a quality piece.

Silver Member

Post Number: 875
You can see what I have by reading "My Budget System" in the bragging area. I updated it to what I REALLY have about a week ago. Keep in mind I plan to upgrade to a better speaker package later which I will most likely match to the receiver (and probably will hook the comp up and an iPod etc to take full advantage of the features). The things I have in mind are the Rotel RSX-1057, Pioneer VSX-84TXSi, and things within that realm. Don't forget I tend to turn things up to the max volume I feel comfortable it can handle on a daily basis. Thanks for help!

I'll be on the lookout for that DVD player and others. But if that would be the case I'd have to find it at half price since I could buy Pioneer Elite and Rotel that cost twice as much for the same price (new). Thanks again (everybody)!

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1065
Wow! Huge step up, Andre. I went to your thread on teh Bragging Area board, and what you are doing is a huge move.

How big is your room, btw?

If you get the PE receiver, check out the Pioneer elite DV-46A DVD player--I think it is a good value for the money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 880
Let me describe my room. From laying down on the floor and using myself as a measuring stick I've found that our room is 23x18x12 with a vaulted ceiling that peaks at around 18'. There is a large opening to the right of the right speaker that is 8' tall and 10' wide which opens into an area with a 12' ceiling that is weirdly shaped so I estimate would equal a 50x35 area. I hope that helps!

If you need info on the speakers (what they say on the back) here it is:

Mains(KLH): Recommended Power Range 10-350w Max, 150w continuous 8 ohms nominal 90dB sensitivity

Surrounds (JBL 4311):It's not on the speaker but it was in the manual; Nominal impedance 8 ohms Peak handling 200, Continuous 80w (35-70hz) 100w (1000-10000) although the manual says they can handle more musically as that was with test tones (I've driven them to around 80w and they took it just fine) The manual also shows them being driven with a 100w 35hz tone after 30 minutes through an oscilloscope, it looked just like a sine wave

The 1 surround back (Bose I have two though (one is currently being driven by an old 60w Scott (rated 100w @4 ohms 2 channels driven from the manual) from the 70s's which I must say is powerful enough to drive the speaker pretty hard) Nominal impedance 4-8 ohms, Power handling 100w continuous. I would guess that the Scott was giving a lot more power than the rating because I was only driving 1 speaker with it.

I've tried to provide the info I can. I intend to upgrade speakers after a DVD player and Receiver.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1072
Big room---similar to my own crib, only my opening to another room is the second floor above the wall behind my mains (open staircase to the second floor is what separates my listening room with the rest of the house and I have 18' celings throughout the main living area). I would think a pair of floorstanders for your mains with an appropriate center, surrounds, and subwoofer, would be necessary to fill all of that area. Gotta determine the WAF, though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 884
WAF?

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1074
Wife Acceptance Factor. Big issue.

Silver Member

Post Number: 885
Well, I don't have a wife, you see. My age indicates that. My mom doesn't care for the most part anyway. I just bought a $1600 (retail) subwoofer and she didn't mind

Silver Member

Post Number: 887
Ok I've compared two PE's the top model and non top model.

I cancelled out what was the same and here are the results as to why they have the same transformer and one has more power etc.

The 84 has 2 optical outputs while the 82 has 1.
The 84 has iLink and the 82 doesn't.
The 84 has 4 HDMI inputs and the 82 has 2.
The 84 has 2 remotes, the 82 has one.
The 84 has thing called a transformer stabilizer (?) and the 82 doesn't which I think explains the higher power rating of 140 over 130.
The 84 weighs around 6 ounces more than the 82.

Do you think these minute differences justify the price difference? They both have the same ratings by the ac outlet on the back. That transformer stabilizer, if that does something that is like a big performance jump, then what is it that it does?
Otherwise my choice is between the 81 and 82 which I'm about to do a specs check check on as well to see the big difference of $300 and $600. Maybe they use different parts which aren't of the same quality?

Silver Member

Post Number: 888
I'd say the differences between the 81 and 82 definitely justify the price!
I've put what the 82 has that the 81 doesn't!
81 and 82

+20w/ channel

+new version of digital engine

+Air Studios tuning

+1 analog audio input

+2 analog outputs

+Phono input!!!!!

+1 optical input

+2 composite input

+1 composite output

+1 S-video output

+Faroudja Video SCALER!

+1 HDMI input

+1 more zone (digital audio)

+extra 12 volt trigger

+a little height and weight

I can see that the 82 will have both better video and audio quality due to the video scaler, the new digital engine, and Air Studios tuning over the 81! I'm going to need the extra connectivity anyway of the 82, especially the phono input. Now I just need to know if that transformer stabilizer is worth the $300 price jump + the small extra power boost.

Thanks for suggestions and help! The choice is between the 82 and 84 or maybe the RSX-1057 as another option (keep in mind I still have to save up the money!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 890
Well If I got the 84, I'd have to get the DV-79AVi (TOO MUCH MONEY) just to make use of the iLink which I'm sure would even do much for the audio quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 891
I guess it would mean I wouldn't need to use 5.1 cables to get DVD-A and SACD surround sound! But still, too much money lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 892
Oh, sweet I can get the DV-46AV for a little over $100. I think that's the first thing I'm going to get. Thanks for your help! I still need to save money for that as well..

Silver Member

Post Number: 906
Ok, I'll start a list. I'm putting receivers I'll consider solidly.

First on the list: Pioneer VSX-82TXV

Now I shall look at Marantz and also decide about the Rotel RSX-1057. When I look at other receivers, unfortunately I have to cut the price in half if I'm getting it for retail.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us