6.1 DTS-ES Help

Username: Jvsantos

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased an Onkyo HTS790.

The first movie I popped into my DVD player, since I wanted to try out the 6.1 audio, was the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVD. To my great disappointment, no audio at all came out at the DTS ES 6.1 setting.

The home theatre works perfectly if I set the movie to DTS EX 5.1 or with any other 5.1 audio movie.

Am I doing some setup wrong or what?

Post Number: 2
PS

I've connected my DVD player to my TV via an HDMI connection and my DVD player to the Onkyo reciever via the digital optical connector.

Like I said before, it works fine for any movie that's not 6.1.

Thanks for helping out an audio newbie...

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12390
Are you activating the 6.1 setting through the DVD player or through the receiver?

Post Number: 3
I go to the DVD's menu and select the 6.1 Discrete soundstrack.

On the reciever, I scan through the Listening Modes until I hit the 6.1 Discrete.

Post Number: 4
I go to the DVD menu and select the 6.1 Discrete soundtrack.

On the reciever, I scan through the Listening Modes until I hit the 6.1 Discrete one.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12394
If your unit has an "Auto-Detect" mode, set it to that and let the receiver do the job. If you switch mannually to 6.1 discrete, the unit is probably using the analog inputs.

Post Number: 5
The problem was with the settings on my DVD player. Apparently Samsung thinks most people won't be decoding DTS signals so they had all the settings for it off. I had enabled DTS on my DVD player but still had "PCM" instead of "Bitstream" as the digital out because I wasn't sure what it was. PCM only allows for 2 channel audio output.

I thought I was hearing 5.1 because the reciever has these nifty Dolby Pro Logic decoders that turn 2 channel audio into 5.1/6.1, but they aren't really what's encoded into the DVD. By setting the movie to DTS ES, without being able to output the signal from the player, I got no sound at all.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12402
So you finally read the manual :-)

Silver Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 119
Yup, always read the manual for reference even if it's complicated. Seasoned users follow the basic set up troubleshooting guides by going thru the steps. That's the first thing that pops in my mind is dvd menu set up when the surround aren't activating because this happens to me whenever i set up a system or get a new dvd player. The pioneer has the mcacc auto pink noise adjuster to balance the surrounds, yamaha has the yao, sony has their version and others have similar auto detect and balancing to check if all surrounds are working. You're problem is a common problem regarding dvd or receiver setup!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us