Dvi to hdmi audio problem

Username: Sarasate

Melbourne, Vic Australia

Post Number: 1
Hi , I recently purchased a LG LCD television with a centrex CTDV800HD stb. The set top box only has a DVI out and my LCD tv has a HDMI in. I have been recent watching HD television with the conponent RCA cables plugged in for AUDIO and VIDEO. Now I have purchased a very expensive gold plated mesh covered DVI to HDMI cable to get better digital HD television but when I take out the RCA video cables and leave in the audio cables I have NO audio? I noticed next to the DVI out on the back of the STB is an OPTICAL audio out.. does this mean that he only way I can enjoy AUDIO is to purchase a optical cable and a surround sound system???? why did I hear audio when all I had was the component video rca cables... does the component AUDIO rca cables only work when the component VIDEO RCA cables are plugged in and not the HDMI cable? does the DVI to HDMI cable only work in conjunction with an optical audio out?

any ideas please.... By the way the STB has NO HDMI out.

Many thanks

Patrick

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12291
The DVI only deals with video and does not carry any audio signals. So you will still need a separate audio cable.

Melbourne, Vic Australia

Post Number: 2
Yes I know this -- however I do not have a surround sound system.... I can go and buy an optical cable but there is no optical audio input on the tv.... is the a converter out there from optical to rca left and right or something?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12297
"I noticed next to the DVI out on the back of the STB is an OPTICAL audio out.. does this mean that he only way I can enjoy AUDIO is to purchase a optical cable and a surround sound system???? "

Unfortunately this would be a yes. Some set top boxes automatically turn off the analog audio output if the HDMI cable is connected. You need to contact your provider for more details (I am not familiar with systems in Australia so forgive me if I cannot be more helpful in that area). That digital output on your set top box is usually connected to a Home Theater system and I have not seen a converter short of a receiver with digital inputs.

Did you notice a significant improvement in picture quality when you were using component cable as opposed to DVI? If not, you may have to go back to component video and analog audio connections back to your TV.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12298
You may also want to check your television's audio input. Is the HDMI on the same board as the analog audio inputs? If they are not, you are probably feeding the audio into a different set of inputs. You may have HDMI on Video 1 and the audio feed is going into Video 2.

Melbourne, Vic Australia

Post Number: 3
in regards to going back to component rca cables etc is that then analog? I only outlaid the money to get the HDMI dvi cable because I thought it was digital and therefore the best..... I have noticed some smoothness in picture quality .. nothing major.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12321
That is tough to answer, do some reading here and decide for yourself...
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm

Melbourne, Vic Australia

Post Number: 4
Im so stupid!!! i HAVE JUST FOUND OUT THAT ALL ALONG THE RCA CABLES I WERE USING WERE "COMPOSITE" Cables and not component so i must of been getting stupid picture.!! Im happy to go and buy some component rca cables but I am now stuck with a brand new DVI to HDMI 24 cgold long black cable with mesh covering it... does anyone have component cables they wish to swap for my brand new HDMI DVI cable??? obviously I will get sound back with the component cables plugged in.

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 24
There is also a setting in some cable boxes that you can choose analog or digital out for the audio, something worth trying.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12333
Well then, that settles that.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1278
Hey Berny, I think you can help this guy. Thanks!

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=997304#POST997304

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us