Onkyo ht-s650 vs. ht-s760

Baudolino
OK, first of all I have to admit I'm an ignorant dumb@$$. I bought the s650 a week ago ($499 at CC, then got 110% of the difference from the $390 advertised at soundcity.com) only to find out about the s760 3 days ago. So I got the 760 too and for a day I had both systems in the house. Today I returned the s650 and stuck with the 760. Here are the differences that I can see (and by no means I'm an expert on this).

1. Receivers: the 760 has some nice things over the 650. It has 2 component inputs and one output on the back (vs. none), it has Neo:6 modes (Cinema and audio), it allows for a max crossover of 150 (vs. 120) and of course, 6.1 outputs (and the corresponding EX and ES modes). On the downside, it has only 2 video sets (video 1 and 2) however there is a Video 3 switch on the front :) Also, as was the case with the receiver from s650, this one tends to get more than warm in time, even with new wires and appropriate space for breathing in the rack. Overall, I'd say that the 510 receiver (the one on s760) is pretty close to the TX-SR600 standalone unit.

2. Speakers: I was a bit confused initially. The s650 comes with a set codenamed HT-500, but each component (front, center, satellites) has a code of 100 (i.e. SKF-100(front), SKC-100(center) so on). The 760 comes with a set codenamed HT-200 (a "lower" code), but each component has a code of 200 (SKF-200, SKC-200)! So I took the manuals side by side and compared them. Here's the scoop: The S200 are lighter (except for the subwoofer, which is heavier). Also, the satellites are smaller than the ones from the HT-500 set. If the surround speakers on the s650 look like cubes, these new ones are like half-cubes and a bit taller. The front grill is different, and the subwoofer now has a status led under the Onkyo logo. Performance wise, the HT-200 set on the 760 has a wider range available (they go up to 35kHz). Other than that, they have the same identical specs as HT-500, as far as I can tell.

The installation was a breeze, I threw out the wires that came with the set and replaced them with Accoustic Research 16 gauge cable from Best Buy (another $80 spent on cables, digital cable for the dvd-receiver link, and banana plugs - IT IS WORTH THE EXTRA $$$!). The sound quality is astounding for a system under $1000. I'm quite happy with the s760 and wish I found out about it earlier so that I wouldn't have to drive 3 times to CC in the last week.

Finally, I'd like to thank to all the people that post meaningful info on this board. I hope I was able to return some useful stuff back to you. I'll stick around and try to answer any questions that you guys might have.

Baudolino
I'll be darned...The speaker set included in the s760 (and which in the manual is coded as SKS-HT200) is now advertised on Onkyo's website as SKS-HT510! I just compared the specs - identical to the inch, pound, db, and kHz! (not to mention the looks) :)

Anonymous
I am searching for a new system and this onkyo seems to be a GREAT deal. My choice was between Yamaha YHT-540 and JVC TH-A75R(or a separate system), but I am considering this Onkyo now, and the one with DVD, HT-S767

It's a pity there aren't many onkyos in Brazil...

Anonymous
After going through the reviews and the price, I have almost decided to buy HT-S760. But, one of my colleagues told me to rather go for TX-SR600 receiver with Bose speakers.

Any comments....

Bose Educator
stay away from Bose...Have owned the Bose lifestyle sysytem for 5 years, thought it was great, until i started to shop for a home Theater system..I realized how lousy the Bose were..Bought an Integra receiver(made by Onkyo) and the RBH compact series speakers...Great sound and 2/3 the cost of a Bose Lifestyle sysyem....

Vegas Guy
To Baudolino:

Thanks for the terrific comparison. I bought the 760 a couple of weeks ago and flipped-flopped between getting the 650 or the 760. Your report reflects my feelings that the 760 is the best choice between the two. I am throughly pleased with the sound the 760 puts out. A couple of nights ago the wife and I watched "We Were Soldiers" with Dolby 5.1. The sound made the action so real the wife left the room and wouldn't finish watching the movie.

Anonymous
Just purchased the HTS 760 from CC- got a good deal and am Im proces of setting up- Can you help me with the best way to set up? - I realize the speaker wire is cheap so I will use 14 or 16 gauge but what connectors should I use? Also, should I buy A better subwoofer connector-What type? Finally, what is the best way to connect DVD and separate CD player to the system?Optical,component?- not sure of how to do this but would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

SolarEclipse
I just got the 767 from SoundCity. Keep checking back and wait for their 13% off discount popup. They're selling for $779 - 13% = $677.73!

As far as cabling, I'm running optical audio from the DVD and coax audio from my digital cable box. I'm using the sub cable that came with the system for now as well, as I haven't found an affordable alternative for that. S-video connections for now until I can afford the component cable for the DVD player. I just picked up a spool of 14ga speaker wire at Home Depot. Connectors aren't really needed, you can just screw down/spring clip the wires directly.

Anonymous
hello All,

I am getting HTS760 for the first time. After going through the messages which have been really helpful .. I want to know what speaker cables I need to buy and from where ? I dont want to go for an expensive one but a decent priced one..
Is there any disadvantage of using the cables which come with the system ??

Thanks in advance

wassup all? i just got the ht s760 and was wondering if someone can help me out. i own a mitsubishi big screen w/ component inputs (2), i hook up my dvd and digital cable to these inputs. i noticed that my onkyo receiver has two component inputs as well. please help me understand why one would hook up their dvd or digital cable box to the a/v receiver first than hook it up to the tv. what's the reasoning for this? why would you hook up a video feed to the receiver? thanks in advance all!

Mekias
Is that 13% discount from Sound City a periodic thing or will it just pop up eventually?

The S767 looks like a great deal, just want to make sure I get the best price I can.

Anonymous
13% discount from sound city is indeed a periodic thing. Every few weeks they keep on coming with this offer.

Mekias
Patience was never really one of my virtues so I went ahead and got the S767 system, although in pieces.

I went to OneCall where they had S760 for $499.00 with free shipping and a promotion code of scs20 to take another $20 off and joined their OneCall member program to take another $5 off. Final price, $475 (w/shipping).

I then when to a yahoo shop called HomeTheaterPhiles where that had the Onkyo DV-CP701 DVD player (the one that comes with S767) for $240 + $20 shipping ($260 total).

I guess that's the equivalent of getting the Onkyo S767 system for $735. Good enough for me.

James
I ordered the 767 2 days ago from SoundCity but they are backordered. Customer service indicated that they are scheduled to receive their next shpment the first week of July. I also have a question for SolarEclipse: The customer service rep at SoundCity said that They break down the original manufacturer packaging into smaller boxes, how did your system arrive and what condition was it in?

James Kaz
I got my Onkyo 767 from Soundcity. With the 13% it was 679. I love it. It came as 2 boxes. One big box(HTS760) and then the DVD player came seperate.

moose
Haa, I have been shopping around for Onkyo HTS767C (most of these guys ship them as HTS760 + DVD Player).Infact i verified that if you buy 760+ DVD player from Soumdcity they cost the same from price. audio sound has price of $655, but i don't know if 767 is radically diff from 767C any thoughts ??

Also Soundcity is back ordered now. They run the sales every 2 weeks on w/e.

http://store.yahoo.com/audiosound/onhtdihosyn.html

Anonymous
I am going to get a HTS767C and am also going to get monster cable for it. (speaker,s-video...) Can anyone give me a shopping list? The room is 13 X 24

wassup all? i just got the ht s760 and was wondering if someone can help me out. i own a mitsubishi big screen w/ component inputs (2), i hook up my dvd and digital cable to these inputs. i noticed that my onkyo receiver has two component inputs as well. please help me understand why one would hook up their dvd or digital cable box to the a/v receiver first than hook it up to the tv. what's the reasoning for this? why would you hook up a video feed to the receiver? thanks in advance all!

please help me understand why one would hook up their dvd or digital cable box to the a/v receiver first than hook it up to the tv. what's the reasoning for this? why would you hook up a video feed to the receiver? thanks in advance all!

Anonymous
The idea of hooking up video feed to the receiver is that you will be able to hook up multiple video feed to your receiver and then one feed from receiver can go to the tv. If you have only one video feed you can hook that up directly to tv.

Tony Soprano
well then, this looks like a job for Superman!

AJ Soprano
If the S-video is in the front and the back, what is the point?

HELP!!!!

David
The Yamaha YHT-540 have almost the identicle specs but both are different in Price

Special
Mekias-followed your lead and bought the HTS760 at CC during the 1-2 week window when it was selling for $449. Then provided them with internet special for the Onkyo DV-CP701 DVD player for $239 and they honored the ad. All in all, it worked out just fine for me as well.

dvdforme
so what is the difference between the hts767c and 767?

I believe the 767 is one disc and the 767C is a 6 disc. Could be wrong, I will check back into it real fast. I am also looking to by the 767c. Where is the best place with a good reputation and cheap costs?

Saint
I have been looking around for the last month to buy a 767C. Difference between 767C and 767 is 6-Disc DVD Changer. Look it up at Onkyos site.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S767C&class=systems&p=i

By the way has any of you guys seen any deal on 767C recently. I saw a deal on j&r for $779 shipped. That's just over my budget. Please post if you see a good deal on it. Thanks.

Mekias
After two weeks, no go with HomeTheaterPhiles on the Onkyo DV-CP701 DVD player (the one with the HT-S767C package. I'd suggest no one try to buy there as I had to constantly call and email before they finally told me they didn't have any in stock.

Calling OneCall's Best Price line, I could get the DVD player for $270 (shipped) but I'm going to look around a bit first.

As far as I know the HT-S760 is the receiver and speaker combo and the HT-S767C is just the HT-S760 with the DV-CP701 DVD player bundled with it. Onkyo doesn't show a HT-S767 system on their website.

Mekias
Found the Onkyo DV-CP701 DVD player at BestPriceAudioVideo.com for $249 (w/free ground shipping). They are authorized Onkyo dealers so I'll probably either go with them or call OneCall and see if they'll match it. I bought my HT-S760 system from OneCall and had no problems so I'll give them first shot at my business.

home theatre
hi, i'd appreciate some help. should i buy the 760 for $499 or the 650 for $320? is the 760 really worth $180 more?

thanks

Anonymous
I was thinking about buying either this system or the Panasonic SCHT900, and I have a couple of questions. First, are any of the DVD Players sold Multiregion? It seems like none of these DVD players sold at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc are region-free. Also, are there hookups for other things in the back of the DVD player/Receiver? I'd like to hook up a Karaoke system to it, and it uses RCA plugs. Also, some extra outlets to plug in my Playstation 2 would be nice.

Anonymous
what is the actual model number on the receiver itself?

kool moe
home theater,

i have the same question. get the new 760 or get a 650 from Onkyo (refurb) or from some "discontinued" dealer online for ALOT less. i don't know if the extra speaker will be worth the cost. i guess the only other real benefit to getting the 760 is that the receiver with the 760 probably doesn't have the LFE bug reported on this site.

anyone else have an opinion on this?

vpr
i 've have the 760, and would definetely recommend it. i think that the extra rear speaker makes a difference, and the system sounds great. if it is an option, i would spend the extra and go for the 760. just my .02......

Been looking for HTIB systems or a while and settled on the Onkyo HT-S767C, but was unsure of paying the $750-800 for the system. Went to ABC Warehouse yesterday and after some wheelin' and dealin' got the entire system for $613.00 + tax. Whotta deal! Thought some of you might be interested. I do have a question on wires for this system. Can anyone recommend a specific type along with connectors? I am a novice in this field and would appreciate any help. Thanks, Mike D.

ht shopper
Does the Onkyo S767C system do DVD-Audio? Or SACD?

vien lu
Yeah I just the bandwagon and bought the HT-S760 from onecall. They give me free 3 day Fed Ex shipping for $499. I let everyone know my option once it arrives. He sales guy said Thursday!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us