42" screen recommendation for newbie??

Username: Expatcanuck

Post Number: 1
Greetings.

I'm looking to purchase a 42" flat screen television (to replace an '80s vintage 32" Sony XBR).

We'll be using it for movies and tv. No gaming. We have Comcast Digital Cable, so I'm assuming that there's some HD content available. (Tho' I've no idea what, other than a new HD-capable set, I'd need to access it.)

I'm new to home theatre, so any & all recommendations, useful links welcome.

Any brands to seek out or avoid?
Any particular specs or features to seek out / pay attention to?

Also -- I imagine we'll be wanting an A/V receiver as well. We have a low end NAD 320BEE that I'm delighted with, so recommendations on anything comparable (fidelity & power-wise) are welcome.

Lastly, our home came with 5 wall-mounted Bose speakers, but they seem to have proprietary RCA plugs, so in the fullness of time, I'd like to replace them. Satellite speaker recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

- Richard

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12110
Some reading for when you are trying to decide on your TV:

http://www.hdguru.com/

For HT components...let us start with a budget.

Username: Expatcanuck

Post Number: 2
> let us start with a budget.

Oh, that.

For the display, 1500-2K (tho' less is fine too, if more $$ doesn't buy a better picture.)
For the receiver, 600 (give or take - demo or refurb. w/ warranty would be fine.)
For the speakers, say up to $200 each for 5 speakers (tho' again, less is fine too).

Don't know what a subwoofer costs, or whether I need one. Something I think I'd consider adding later (we currently use 2 ancient Tangent TM-3 speakers which provide perfectly adequate sound).

Don't know what else might be needed.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12112
I can't help you with the display. I like Mitsubishi and do not care much for Samsung or LG, which seem to be very popular nowadays.

For the receiver, check out the Pioneer VSX-1016 and for the speakers check out the Athena line. You can check out their bookshelf line or the Micra series.

Good bang for the buck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us