1080p via analog

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 20
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Recently, I got my hands on a Sony 50" Grand Wega SXRD and an Xbox 360. I want to make use of the 1080p potential but I found that there are no digital outputs on the 360. It says that I could go to 1080p through a VGA cable but only if my tv is compatible with 1080p analog signals. I searched but could not find enough information on this matter so if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12099
You need the HD cable pack from XBox.

You will also need the XBox 360 HD DVD player.

I doubt you will be getting any 1080p games yet though.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1250
­
Stefan, here are some things as I understand them:

1) Only the second generation Sony SXRD displays will accept a 1080p signal, and then only through the HDMI input.

2) These 1080 displays deinterlace and scale all video signals to 1080p internally anyway so when any 1080i games are released the difference in picture 1090i vs. 1080p will be minimal.

3) It is theoretically possible to transmit 1080p through component, but whether Sony will ever permit it remains to be seen. It will probably never happen for movies, but maybe so for games.

4) You are now using technology only dreamed of 5 years ago. Relax, be happy.

:-)

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 21
Thanks for the info John.

Unfortunately for my family and I, relaxing comes hard for me. Also, I have a few more questions. Again, any and all help is greatly appreciated. First will the Digital VGA cable (http://www.ciao.co.uk/Joytech_Xbox_360_Digital_VGA_Cable_High_Definition_AV_Pack __6554590), transmit a higher def signal than my existing component connection? If not, why create this cable which seems to use a slightly obscure port not present on many tv's. And finally, did anyone else hear about the secret pact between Hollywood and the consumer electronics coporations. When I searched "xbox 360 HDMI" I found out that people think Hollywood wants to avoid digital video formats because of some DRM and content protection nonsense. Is this legit?

Thanks, Stefan

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 22
Here's a better link about the VGA cable,
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

Thanks, Stefan

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1251
­
Sorry I couldn't get back sooner Stefan.

It was IBM that first marketed VGA as a better interface for (primarily) computer use in 1987. Since then, improvements have been made to extend its bandwidth. See XGA. VGA was, is and always will be an analog connection. It seems to me there's enough confusion in the A/V world these days without companies that will label or say anything to market their products.

Note that nowhere on the xbox site you cite does it say digital VGA cable. Also note that their VGA cable connects to exactly the same output on the console that their component cable does. How can that output suddenly turn digital when you plug in a VGA cable?

The VGA cable exists primarily not only to hook the xbox up to a computer monitor but also for those folks in Europe where VGA connections are more common on TVs. There is no reason to believe that the VGA cable will give you better video than the component cable.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us