Need Help setting up my home theater

Username: Newbie101

Post Number: 1
Ok, so here's the deal. I am a newb to home theater, though i have expertise in other aspects of tech and i am no dolt when it comes to simple tasks, but this problem boggles me.

Without being too in depth, i am trying to hook up a plethera of items to my new tv and allow all of these items to take advantage of the surround sound i have set up. I use extended cable, and have a great next gen sony tv that takes everything from hdmi to fiber optic audio cables. So my solution was to hook everything into the tv, and use the fiber optic out on the back of my tv into my reciever. I figured this would give me surround sound regardless of the device, but clearly i was mistaken. Some of the devices i am hooking up are old and don't function on a digital level, while others do, but regardless, no sound comes out.

Someone please tell me. Am i on the right track and just ran into a roadblock or am i completely off in the deep end?

I can take it, i promise.

-Confused newb on the loose...

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1175
1> All audio goes to amp, whether rca type connection or digital (opticakl or coax)

2> Unless amp has video switching (and even if it does it maybe better to avoid it) all video goes to tv in different inputs.

This may help and of course will not always work, but it is a good starting point.

Optical always does better going through the amp directly. Basically mute the tv's internal speakers and use the externals for everything.

Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 3
I haven't found a tv that takes the audio from an HDMI cable and outputs sound through the optical audio out port.

The optical audio out port on the tv is there for people who use the cable card option, i.e. instead of having a cable box you have a cable card connected directly to your tv, and the only way to get the audio from that to your receiver is for the tv to have a digital (optical or coaxial) out port to send audio to a receiver for surround sound. It WILL NOT convert the audio from the HDMI-in to the Optical-out.

What you will have to do is what Joseph said, send all the audio directly to your receiver, and the video directly to your tv (or you can send video directly to the receiver and then to the tv).

If you totally run out of analog audio inputs on the receiver, I have successfully run analog (red & white cables) to a Sony projection LCD tv and then use the analog out port back to the receiver. I had to do this for a friend who ran out of analog audio inputs on his receiver.

If you run out of digital inputs on the receiver, either buy a receiver with plenty of inputs or purchase a digital audio switcher like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Recoton-Digital-Audio-Optical-Toslink-Selector-Switch_W0QQit emZ130061937654QQihZ003QQcategoryZ73390QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you don't want to manually switch the audio, I believe there are more expensive switchers that use a remote.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us