Newbie needs advise

Username: Harvey33

Costa Rica

Post Number: 1
Hello to all,
New to all this, there is so much info here now im more confused than before.
I'm building a new HT system. I do not live in the US so I cannot test out any of the equipment im researching so I need quality advice. This is what I have come up with so far:
Front Projector Panasonic PT-AE 900 $1500
Receiver-Yamaha RX-V2700 7.1 $1050
DVD-Yamaha DVC6760 $165
Cable and wiring ?? Need advise
Speakers ???? Need advise.
I can spend up to $2000 for a 7.1 speaker set up and $300 for cables and wires. I would like to keep the initial set up at $5000 if possible will go a little higher so quality wont suffer.
My room size is 18 feet long, 14 feet wide, 9.5 feet high. It's made of cement block with double sheets of dry wall on the ceiling, left and right hand walls with a heavy curtin for the back wall (it opens into a game room.)
I live in Costa Rica there is no HDTV but I will have the PS3 and watch DVD movies.
Any advice will be much appreciated with my selections and help with speakers.

Thank you in advance

Mike H.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12073
Nice set-up you have in mind.

What speakers are available in your area?

Costa Rica

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply Berny,
None, I have to purchase everything online and ship it here. Big headaches
just getting everything in the country.
Looking at Klipsch at the moment but could be out of my price range.
Thats what I need most help on. Finding a good speaker set up. There
are soooo many options out there. What would you advise I look into.

Thanks again

Mike

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12075
Can you get hold of Paradigm speakers? There's also Ascend Acoustics.

Username: Tech_junkie

Post Number: 5
You also might want to consider Definitive Technologies ProCinema 1000 series.

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/procinema/procinema.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12237
I would highly discourage Definitives for Yamaha.

Costa Rica

Post Number: 3
I like the Ascend Acoustics setup. My only problem is I don't have enough space for the middle surround sound speakers. They are a little too big. They will be above a sliding glass door and there is not much space. For the quality and size the Klispch S-2 or S-3 are more the size I need. Does it matter if the speakers are from different companies? I will also need a 10-12" subwoofer that Ascend does not offer so the Sub will be from a different company also.
So far I'm finding all the speakers around the same price. 7.1 system Klispch, JBL, Ascend Acoustics and Paradigm are around $2300-$2500
Thanks again for your time

Mike

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12249
I am more concerned that the 3 main front speakers are made by the same company to ensure voice matching. You have more leeway on the surround speakers, but I really do not like the pairing of Klipsch and Yamaha as well...I think the pairing sounds too harsh. But that is a personal preference, you may like it. As far as subwoofers, take a look at the Hsu subwoofers.

Username: Tech_junkie

Post Number: 6
Why would you discourage the Definitives for Yamaha? I have no particular allegiance to either but I did not have an opportuntiy to hear the Yamaha's so I could not compare.

I have Definitives for the three main fronts and the sub. For the surrounds, I have Speakercraft in-ceiling mounts because I do not have a rear wall in this applicaiton.

I had Polk Audio prior to this setup and I have been very pleased with the difference. The sound separation is much more detialed on my current setup than with the Polk speakers.

I got my fronts for around $1000 and my surrounds for around $350. Combined with my receiver at $900, I am very pleased thus far with my $2300 investment.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12307
I discourage it only because of experience and personal preference. I believe I wrote that down and went further to state that he may end up liking them. I like Def Tech and I happen to have them. I just did not like them paired with Yamaha, a little to bright, however, I think they match well with Harman Kardon, Marantz, Pioneer and Outlaw Audio. Right now I have them paired with a Carver receiver and they are well detailed without the harshness when paired with a Yamaha.

The best pairing I have heard with a Yamaha receiver are Paradigms.

You mileage may vary, if you like them, get it and enjoy.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1017
The reason Def Techs are a poor choice for Yamaha electronis is that both the Def Techs and the Yamaha have a bright sound--that is, both have accentuated the upper midrange (2-4 kHz). When they are combined, the sound will seem overly bright to most ears and will cause audio fatigue. Klipsch will usually cause the same problem as their horn tweeter will also accentuate the upper midrange. If you want Def Tech or Klipsch speakers, a better choice for the receiver would be a harman/kardon receiver. The h/k has a more relaxed, laid back sound that will balance out any brightness in the speakers.

Berny is right. Paradigms would be a much better choice with a Yamaha receiver. Also check out PSBs, which will sound very similar to Paradigms.

Mike: I can appreciate your problems. My uncle and his family have lived in Panama since the end of WWII, and Panama is only half as tough to get stuff into the country as Costa Rica. Also, your room is about the same size as my room, albeit with lower ceilings, so I have a feel for what your needs are. What you get is as much a function of what a dealer can get to you. Am I correct that you are not buying locally, but instead you are looking to have it shipped from the States? I would suggest the following speaker system which would meet your needs of being small and yet produce very nice sound:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTKC2B

And, I would suggest the following receiver, which will cost half as much as the Yamaha, but will sound better:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5600

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1018
Oops--I forgot to answer about the wiring!

Mike:

I also assume you will be running your speaker wire either through the walls, the ceiling, or under the floor (unlikely if you are on a concrete slab as I suspect). If so, just get a bulk spool of an in-wall type speaker wire (double insulated) such as this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=100-762

You don't need to go overboard on speaker wire as long as you get good quality stuff (oxygen free copper). As far as interconnects go, the Dayton brand interconnects from Parts Express is excellent quality and a great value. Browse through their stuff here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=59

Alternatively, if you want a name brand, either Monster Cable or AR gear from Accessories4Less is also great quality at a good price. Check it out here:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category/AudioCables

Monster's Interlink 250 level is plenty good enough. I have also had very good experience with the AR brand of interconnects--highly recommended.

Costa Rica

Post Number: 4
Hello Hawk,
Yes you are correct in that I need to purchase everything over the internet and have it shipped by a private shipping company then pay import tax when it arrives here, which as you know will add about 40% to my price.
After more thought on the Yamaha receiver I started looking at others, I have run across an Integra DTR-7.7 that sounds interesting but do not find much info on this forum. Can anybody advise me on this receiver? Price is around $1200
Hawk -- What ceiling height would you recommend for my size room. I can raise it a little if necessary?

I really appreciate everybody's help

Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us