Just bought a Samsung HT-DB600. Input please.

Anonymous
From Best Buy, was looking at the 150 but with all the overheating problems discussed here, I decided to pay a little more and get this one. Anyone have it? Any known problems?

Thanks

Anonymous
Well...I bought it yesterday and hooked it up last night. So far very impressed. The 100 watt passive sub exceeded my expectations. Sound across the board is very good. Guess we'll see...

My old Philips home theater system bit the dust about a month ago, so I brought it back to Best Buy, and miracuosly it was still covered under the 4-year PSP (who ever said these things were worthless? Uh, ok I think I did.. :). Even more amazingly, after about 2 days BB called me and said it wouldn't be repaired and I could get an exchange for equal value, which was fine with me. I spotted the HT-DB600 which was exactly $300, my spending limit, and I liked it a lot. After going through hell to finally get the unit (which is another BB story), I picked it up yesterday. So far, I have been very happy with it. No problems to report (thank God). I am not using it as a DVD player right now however, as I don't have a TV in my room, so it is strictly playing music for the time being. I must say that the sound is very good, and is more than powerful enough for my medium sized bedroom. Ive been going through a lot of my discs in the past day (i'm listening to it right now :) ) and have been finding subtlties that I've missed with my old system. Things I dont like is the abscence of a clock, not being able to open the tray when a disc is playing, and I think the search (FF, RW) option when listening to music lacks. At first, it just plays the music very quickly. Then, it speeds up two more times and you have to hit the play button to stop it. This is very odd, considering most seek options on units just skim through the song very fast and then stop. Its probably the most annoying part of this unit. I don't know why Samsung skimped on that. In any case, it has been a positive experience for the , oh, 20 hours I have owned it. Also, BB sells it right next to the 150 (which is about $50 less). I wouldn't bother with that model with all the bad stuff I've read about it here. Besides, the 600 is a brand new model and gives you a 5 disc changer, while the 150 has just one. It seems to be quality built (metal, not plastic) and feels durable. Oh yeah, and I like that little blue ring around the volume knob. Its hypnotizing when listening in the dark, and if you're watching a movie and don't want it, you can switch it off. Overall, I think it's a solid, attractive looking unit that should suit most of your home theater needs and is probably one of the better home-theater-in-a-box setups you can get right now. I would recommend it, but I would look elsewhere than BB for it unless you want to put up with their crap. Oh yeah, and their PSP is now $100, 1/3 the price of the unit (was $50 when I got my last system 4 years ago). Needless to say, I didn't buy it. The 1 year Samsung warranty will suit me just fine, thank you very much.

Anonymous
Good review Matt, I'm going on a week with this thing and am still very happy with it. Haven't played much music with it yet but did throw in the first .mp3 disk I could fine and it played all tracks fine (my car mp3 player won't even do that). If you get around to playing a few movies with it, I'm curious to hear your impressions. The Dolby and DTS movies I've played have sounded excellent in my medium sized living room thus far.

Anonymous
One curious thing of note is that when I set the audio to "matrix" which causes all speakers to play and add a sort of echo to what you hear and then set it back to the regular "stereo" audio setting, the system seems to keep the "echo" (its almost like the TV speakers lag behind the satellite speakers) until I cycle power on the unit. Can anyone else with this model duplicate this? Its not that big of a deal but does have me a bit perplexed.

Ok, I finally tried DVD movies today. Now mind you, I was using a fairly small TV with it since it was the lightest one to move quickly, and I think it probably took away from the experience somewhat, but I think it sufficed for a test. All in all, I think the unit held its own. It was my first time using true surround sound with a DVD and it was very impressive. The sound detail was very good, and subtle effects, especially like wind and rain were very believable (it probably helped even more that it was a gloomy day). I tested a few rock videos that I had on DVDs and the system packed a pretty good punch. Now, one thing I noticed, and hopefully this does not become chronic, was that the DVD froze on me twice in the span of a few hours. Now this was the first time this ocured, and never happened on CDs. I think I was FF through a scene and the image froze. However, the system seemed to correct itself and I was simply sent back to the main menu. There was no sign of overheating at all. It might have been because I was scrolling to quickly, I'm not sure. In any case, i'm not too worried unless this continues. Aside from that, I was very happy. I think as a starter home theater, this is a good choice. You can find it for a little less than $300, and it is a full 6-speaker setup. One nice thing: plenty of cord is provided. Because you cannot use your own speaker cord with this unit :(, it is important that you have enough to work with, and thankfully there is a good distance, especially for the rear speakers. Oh, and I've found you can open the tray while it is in use. If you press tray open, the disc will stop, but if you hit the disc change button instead on the unit, it will open and you can change your discs while still playing. I'll update more if the freeze problem continues, but like I said, it didn't seem too serious and the disc probably just skipped a little. One other drawback I didn't like was the fan. If you are listening late at night at a low volume, the fan sound is kinda intrusive. If you use the system mainly during the day and at moderate volues, you probably won't even notice it. But if you listen at a low volume where there is no other sound, the whir might become annoying. Overall, i still highly recommend.

Anonymous
Hmm, I'll have to check out that fan deal. Haven't noticed it at all yet but I've got the unit in a decent sized living room. Sorry to hear about the "freezing", I'll keep my eye out for it. Still haven't had a single problem with it yet. I agree about the speaker wire. I was able to easily mount the rear speakers up in the ceiling corners in the back of my living room. I'm also hoping I can buy those speaker connectors from somewhere if I do ever want to change wire.

Have you been able to use the remote with your TV (I'm assuming its not a Samsung). I cannot get the TV light on the remote to flash so I can enter the code. I'm probably gonna call Samsung to get help on that one.

Jamie

Anonymous
purchased this unit 1 week ago from Best Buy.. Must say I am very happy with it. Has all the goodies like high-end systems but without the high-end price.
Looked at about 25 systems before getting this one. Would reccomend it to anyone.

Anonymous
Cool, lets keep the feedback rollin' in on this thing. :)

Jamie

Matt L.
To get the remote to switch over to TV, you have to press the mode mbutton on the remote twice, and then you will see the light indicator has switched from dvd to tv. Hope this helps.

Anonymous
I'm pretty sure I've pressed that button twice, 4 times, 7 times, 102 times, heh. But I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

Jamie

Bob Bahn
Thanks for posting all the comments. I was looking into different systems and decided to get this one because of your helpful commments. Keep it up and soon I'll add my own.

Bob Bahn
Oh, I forgot. When researching prices, I found that there are a lot of online vendors such as in the Yahoo shopping area that sell this system for 274 and up. But, in the pictures that they show, there are only 3 speakers + the subwoofer in sight. Does anyone know if it is ok to buy from those guys?

Here's a poopy on this unit: I've gone through three systems of the HT-DB600 and all exhibited the same flaw. When playing DTS while the unit is in progressive scan video mode there is sporadic "thumping" coming from the sub-woofer. I replaced the entire system: wires, main unit, subwoofer, etc. three times, even going so far as to order a unit over the internet (it came from Ohio) so that I wouldn't get the same Mfg lot. No luck, they all have the same problem. I've notified Samsung and am waiting for a product support engineer to call back tomorrow, but I suspect it's a design flaw and not something that's fixable in the home. Too bad, the unit has all the features and the look that my wife and I wanted. I suspect we'll just return both units I still have and find something else.

Greg Burns
Product support engineer from Samsung didn't call today and no email. Went and bought a Panasonic SC-HT700 for around $330 at BBy. The Samsung will get packed up and go back this weekend.

Anonymous
That's too bad Greg. I would test it out myself but I don't have an HDTV. I do hope it isn't a design flaw but from what you've posted...ouch.

Please post here if you ever hear from an engineer.

Bob, those should be fine. Like here for example
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=samhtdb600th
looks like they are only showing the front speakers but if you look at the features area, 80w x 5 is refering to all 5 satelite speakers.

Jamie

Anonymous
Got my HT-DB600 over the weekend, set it up and was impressed and disappointed at the same time. The sound quality was good, image as well, but whenever I played a DVD for the first time, it would freeze after about a minute or so. After ejecting it and putting it back, it would play normally. Any of you have this happen to you? Also, when playing MP3 disks, it takes one song and brakes it up into 3 or 4 files, which makes the ramdom mode useless. Also, I was not able to navegate through the songs using the arrow keys or any keys for that matter, nor the folders. Any thoughts?

Greg Burns
Follow up to my post of 6/13/03. The "Product Support Engineer" fianlly called today from Samsung and left a message for me on my work's voice mail. He said that DTS audio and Progressive Scan video are incompatible. What a maroon.

henry
2 problems i noticed with my system:

1. an extended pause when it drills down layers while playing movies. happens on every movie i've seen, somewhere past the 1 hour mark.
2. an extended pause in between tracks while playing audio cd's. while this is not a problem with most song-based cd's this is a HUGE problem when playing a continuous live set. the break in the music/sound is a big distraction and for this reason alone i would not recommend this system.

Mario Strossner
I bought a HT-DB600 from BestBuy last week and I'm impressed w/ the sound and the video features, but I'm very concerned with the ammount of noise that come from the unit that becomes very disturbing. I have it connected on my bedroom and at low volume (or at night) is very annoying the high pitch noise that come (I think) from the fan or from the laser unit... If somebody has the same thoughts about it and maybe, some sound insulation solution, I would like to know it.

Anonymous
My only issue is the Volume seems to be high on one movie, and low the next time, (with the low being the normal) as an example, If I have the volume set to 20, I can't even hear anything at all from the movie.. anyone else having this kind of problem?. Not really sure if this unit is ready for prime time or not. I am also having the thumping sound when playing DVD's using DTS sound and Pscan coming from the Subwoofer.

Please let me know if anyone finds a way to fix these little issues.

Amey
Got my HT-DB600 yesterday at BB. Noticed one thing. I was playing 'Ice Age' DVD but the DSP/EQ doesnt work. It works till the initial menu and 20th Century commercial. But as the movie starts its useless...no action. The display remains at "Dolby Digital". The manual says that "When palying a DVD encoded with 2 or more channels Multi channel mode will be selected." But nothing about DSP/EQ. IT works fine with other Audio CDs and VCD. Anyone has any clue?

Anonymous
I just bought mine yesterday and had the same problem with the DSP/EQ button. That thing won't work while the movie is playing. I just emailed Samsung last night, no reponse yet. I got mine at Best Buy for $304 out the door, so far very happy with this low priced system, besides the DSP button thing.

The same thing w/ the DSP/EQ happened with me. I tried many times with no results. I'm afraid that's just the way it was designed. You'll just have to make sure you have the right setting before the movie begins.

Anonymous
Anyone have clue, how can I hack the Samsung HT DB600 to see all regions DVD ???

Anonymous
So what would be the best settings for watching a DVD? DSP wise and Dolby? For music? Anybody know?

Anonymous
For movies, the unit will detect the format and play it in Dolby if possible (it seems). Can verify this by looking at the speaker display "icon".

Jamie

I got this 2 days ago. Haven't had any problems so far. I know that when fast worwarding, when you got past 2x speed, the picture freezes but you can resume it by pressing play. I guess you can't switch away from digital sound when playing DVD's either. One thing though, I have a Samsung 27" HDTV and the pictures coming through the component cable is off to the left. I checked options on the tv and there seems to be no way to correct this. so I'm missing about 5-7% of the picture to the left. Other than that seems fine. I will test the thump/DTS/PScan issue.

Ped
What's the issue with the speaker cable not being replaceable, exactly? I just ordered this unit off of amazon (for $250, plus a $50 gift certificate, plus a $30 credit for opening an amazon VISA - nice), and I'm a bit concerned to hear this, since my rear-speaker wire-running distances are large (31 feet and 26 feet).

Does anyone know the out-of-the-box speaker cable lengths, and what it would take to extend them if neccessary?

I appreciate your helpful posts thus far. Thanks in advance!

marc
When you play a DVD that has Dolby Digital, the unit should automatically play it in DD. You can also choose DTS on the audio or option menu of the DVD, provided the DVD has DTS. I actually prefer DTS to DD, and they are both SUBSTANTIALLY better than the DSP settings. In this case the unit does not allow the DSP's to be used.

I hope this clears that up.

Anonymous
Again, I have issues with the sound and volume because on some dvd's the volume is higher than others no matter if the movie has DD 5.1, dts o regular dolby (same case as "Amey"-saturday june 21st-). now, I think that there is no way to use DSP/EQ on regular dolby movies and it is just good on dvd's w/ DD 5.1 or dolby digital II. Somebody has figure out how to fast forward (2x,4x,etc)a dvd without jumping into the next chapter? the instruction on the manual on how to do that doesn't work in real life.

Anonymous
As far as FFing, seems I just hold down the FF button for a time depending on the rate I want. I'll check that out and post back when I get back in town.

Jamie

I am also having a volume problem. My volume is significantly lower while watching tv, as opposed to listening to a cd or dvd at the same level. I expected some difference, but I have to have the unit turned all the way up (50) to watch tv at a comfortable sound level. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rob
can anyone verify that this system adds a gap between tracks? i listen to a lot of live concerts on disc, and this would be a huge drawback...thanks in advance.

Parke Junker
I am also having the DTS/Progressive scan problem where the subwoofer thumps oddly. It sounds like someone's rubbing their hands over an inflated balloon. Any news about how to fix this or if Samsung is going to do anything about it? This is really annoying. Thanks for your help!

Juschillin
Ok I'm going to ask the same question that Mr. Anonymous asked earlier: Does anyone know how to set the DB600 to accept all regions and make it universal? Or at least to change it back and forth between regions 1 and 2? Is it even possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mario
This question was asked before but it was not answered. Anybody tried to make it a multi-region player. Thanx guys

Bronson
Hi, i just bought my db600 and i actually test functionality on dvd players as a profession. This player exceeded my expectations, by far, although audio was a slight drawback due to the pause between track as previously discussed. To answer the region question, unless you program, and own an Eromulator, region 1 only.

Edward Champion
just bought the db600 from BB and am now afraid to open the box...I have a concern about the speaker wire attachments.
You are apparently held hostage by these clips?
Thinking about buying a Panasonic HT 690 from Costco's but the speaker wires come out of the subwoofer. If the subwoofer goes bad, your receiver is now useless because it has no speaker hookups. Any advice or comments?

Alex C
I have been watching this item. It just got picked up by Amazon and is on sale for $235 + free shipping. OK I give in! I'm buying one!! :)

im going to buy the system and take it back to sweden but i need to make it uncoded. How do i do that and whats a Eromulator? Help me!

Bronson
Edward, i'd have to say i'm partial to the the Samsung, but speaker wires from the sub? compared to that, i dont think the db600's clips are that bad. I personally thought it was a good feature in setting the speakers up... Go Samsung!

Bronson
Lars, unfortunatly this system is Reg 1 and thus only plays reg 1.You would have to know programming which would require taking apart the machine and risking any warranty. If you have not purchased the machine yet, i'd say dont. If you are going back to Sweden and you like the platform that much, i'm sure Samsung produced a reg 2 machine that you could purchase in Sweden. Sorry i could not be more help

thanks bronson good thing you told me, but i rhather buy a home theater system here coz there much cheaper than in sweden. Can anyone recomende a good home theater system thats uncoded and is around 300-400 bucks?

mario
Bronson, any advise on why the volume output of this unit is different between dvd's? with some movies I have to put the volume at max (50) and with others 30 is more than enough...

bronson
Mario, on copyright cds, dvds, dvd-a, and so on,all have different qualities of sound. These qualities are based on how well the dvd was authorized. You'll notice this when using dvd's of different brands. So not to worry, it isn't your player causing this problem. Its technically not even a problem although it can be bothersome at times.

Anonymous
Bronson, since you've become the answer man for this thread, any idea what's going on with the DTS/Progressive scan problem? Any input at all will be helpful. Thanks!

Bronson
I have yet to test that problem but that sounds like a pretty major engineering flaw. The DTS stream should work just as well in progressive as in NTSC. Unfortunatly this bug made it through testing and into production. But if i could get a more detailed description of this problem i could test my player here at work.

Anonymous
The DTS problem is a thumping coming from the subwoofer whenever the DVD is outputing in Progressive Scan mode. If you don't hear it immediately, just wait a little while... you'll hear it eventually.

Anonymous
I'm having issues with the Digital-In. I'm using an optical cable out of my HDTV cable box (Motorola DCT5100) and I experience a slight delay. The audio is not in sync with the video. The audio comes out about 1-2 seconds late. If I turn off the Samsung receiver and then turn it back on it returns in sync (although there is "slight" delay, but I probably notice that because I pay CLOSE attention at that point). Could this be caused by my fairly cheap optical cable? Or is the receiver to blame? Can anyone test this out on theirs?

Anonymous
I've been in touch with Samsung about the DTS/Progressive scan problem and they *claim* they can fix it if I take it to a servicing center near my house so I'm going to give it a shot. I have my reservations but we'll see. I'll let everyone know what comes of it.

rob
sorry to post again, but i'm about to buy a home theater system, and would like to know if everyone is getting a two second skip between songs on cds?

Parke
A little more info on the DTS/progressive scan problem. I tried unplugging the subwoofer and plugging it into the right speaker port and vice versa. The same thumping sound then came from the right speaker (which was now plugged into the subwoofer port) so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the subwoofer itself but rather with the port it is plugged in to. Hope this can help anyone who is trying to help us out with this annoying problem. I'll keep working on it myself.

Bronson
Parke, you are correct in that it is the DTS/ progressive stream output causing the problem. I had a little time to look this over and i actually tried the same thing as you. I'm somewhat peeved but thankfully i do not use progressive at home. For those who do i'd raise some hell with Samsung.

Bronson
Rob, yes, i believe we all have expierenced the pause in between tracks of cds... any dispute? quite bothersome if you have continueous tracks on your cd.

Hi, I was wondering if the speakers included in the HT-DB600 package included certain "holes" on which you could mount them with nails or screws. I am wondering this because if they did, I would not need to purchase 2 sets of speaker brackets for my fronts and surrounds! Thanks.

Anonymous
Yes, the speakers have key holes which will allow you to mount them with screws. This is how our rears are mounted.

Isaac R.
Someone mentioned a audio sync issue with the DB-600 and optical-in. I had the same problem with my cable and confirmed it with a second unit! It's not your cable box or optical cable.

I tested the optical-in with three different DVD players and also had a sync problem. The problem is only apparent with Bitstream signals - PCM is fine. However, using only PCM means no Dolby Digital or DTS (just PL II) and your cable box probably does not have the option to force PCM digital out anyway. (My box doesn't - it depends on the channel)

I called Samsung (a few times) and they said they'd test and respond. I'll post again when I hear more.

Anonymous
Bought this yesterday for use with Sony HS10 projector. When I switched it to progressive there was bad color flickering on the screen. My two other progressive DVD players did not do this so I know its not the projector.

Returned the Samsung today

Anonymous
I am a novice. All these progressive scan / DTS issues posted here, are they related to some kind of particular TV or just in general for everyone?
Also any suggestions on similar products within this price range ~$300.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Luke C.
Hi, i've owned the db-600 for a few months now. On the box it states that it plays VCD's. (hence the digit"all") However whenever i insert a VCD, it tries to read it as a music cd. It says in the instructions that it will "automatically detect" what kind of format it is but alas i can find no way to get it to play a VCD. I haven't seen any mention of anyone even trying the VCD function on this board. If anyone knows anything at all about this, i would very much like to hear about it. Thanx.

takaku
I just bought a db-600 from costco. Hooked it up to the Sony HDTV. It plays regular and mp3 cd's well. But when i insert the DVD, the picture freezes for a few seconds then starts and freezes again. Did anyone experience this problem ??

Just bought the db-600 from Best Buy on Aug 30th and it is consistenly freezing in movies. I was able to watch Dare Devil without a problem, but tried the following DVD's (60 Seconds, Lord of the Rings(Fellowship) and Pearl Harbor(the special multi-disc edition) which would freeze just about half way through the movie. In addition to this, it would not even load Castaway, it went through a THX Sound test and then tried to load the main dvd menu, which was completely garbled up. Has this been a problem corrected by just returning the unit and trying another hoping I don't get another messed up unit? I love all the features and the sound, so would like to have a working model.

Anonymous
I don't know what system you all are using to play live concert cd's. I did not experience the same two second pause between tracks that you all did. On burned cd's there was a pause inserted by the burning software, but i was listening to "ANY TIME NOW" by of a revolution and it played the whole way through without any problems. Perhapse they fixed the glitch.

Pedro
hi! I brought it back to Brazil and really would like to discover a way to uncode it. Can specialized service deal with it? Can´t it be done by a menu config? Thanks!

Anonymous
Anyone knows where on the internet I can get a Manual for the HT-DB600.

Anonymous
Anyone knows where on the internet I can get a Manual for the HT-DB600.
I purchaced the floor model for $163.00, and it came with no manual.

Anonymous
Has anyone bought or considered getting the HT-DB650? I'm concerned about this thumping issue, but I'm wondering if they maybe fixed the problem by the 650 release. Also, what are the main differences between the two?

Anonymous
Bought at 600 today, everything sound wise is great but all the picture is comming in Black and white only... I am going through component video for the picture and this is the problem I am encountering anyone else have a similar problem with this model and is there a quick fix? Don't want to have to return it if I can help it. Thanks :)

Anonymous
I bought a PT4298HD (akai 42" hd projection tv manufactured by Samsung) and a Samsung DVD Home Theater system. I am experiencing a line about 2" wide running from the top of the tv to the bottom about 1/2 way across the screen. Tuning the colors and focusing have helped some, but it is still there. It is really noticeable when the screen has a lot of black (intros, etc). Akai says it is probably the Samsung DVD player and Samsung says it is the TV. This is funny because Samsung manufactures the Akai tv. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
The repair shop that Samsung promised could fix my DVD player for free (the progressive scan/DTS problem) has had it for going on 3 weeks now. I called today and they said they were "still playing with it" and I should call back in a week. This is getting ridiculous. I wish Samsung would just admit that they messed up and fix their mistake. Anyone else having any luck dealing with this issue?? Thanks.

Mike
I just purchased one of these units as well and had a few questions.

1. Does P-scan work with DD and PLII (is the thump only with DTS?)?

2. I notice that the subwoofer actually has its dome (is that the right term?) on the bottom...will it perform ok on a carpeted floor?

3. Does anyone know how to replicate the ends of the speaker wire that plug into the receiver? I would like to use a heavier gauge wire...

4. BTW, does anyone know what gauge the included wire is?

5. Does anyone know how to connect existing prewiring (not long enough to connect directly to receivers or speakers) to the receivers and speakers?

Thanks.

Anonymous
As far as I can tell, the thumping problem is only with DTS. I haven't experienced it with any other audio stream. I'm not sure about any of your other questions.

Ramon
Has anyone solved the freezing movie problem, is it software or hardware related? I'm seeing the same thing with pretty much every movie. I tried a friends burnt movie a while back, had problems viewing it and since then it seems like I've had the freezing/skipping. Could the burnt DVD caused the problem?

Samsung HT-DB600
Can anybody provide the region hack code to me. I am ready to pay for it if that works. I want it to work in all regions. If not all regions, it should atleast work in region 1 & 5. Also let me know if the player can play PAL DVD's also. My TV is both PAL & NTSC compatible.

bling
Ok all..

Just what you have been waiting for.. the DB600 Multi Region Hack!!!

1) Take all discs out of the tray
2) Turn the player off
3) Unplug the player for 30 seconds
4) Plug the player back in
5) Press Power On
6) Press the Enter button
7) Press the digits in this order: 8, 4, 2, 6, and 9
8) Press Enter again
9) Your Player should turn off if this was successful.

If it didnt work, repeat all of the steps (including unplugging for 30 sec) again.

I've verified it to work with region 1 & 3.. but I am confident that it will work with other regions as well.

You will need to repeat this procedure anytime you unplug your machine for an extended period of time (more than 30 seconds).

Good Luck

I purchased my DB600 approx. 2 weeks ago. The manual is not very clear (maybe I need SAMSUNG 4 Dummies or something):) But can someone please tell me if the CD's have a SHUFFLE ?!? I've searched everywhere and can't find it. If this system doesn't have at least a 1 disk shuffle, I will be very dissappointed. Can somoene please email me at my email address (Sapphyyr@aol.com) with the subject of "DB600 Answer" (so I won't think it's spam and erase). Thank you so much!

RE: black and white pictures. You are plugged into the wrong connection. Did that myself the first time.
Re CD shuffle (random play): doesn't have it. Has it for MP3. Verrry strange.

Anonymous
Seven weeks later, the repair shop tells me that they called Samsung and Samsung told them they haven't heard of the Progressive scan problem and it's probably not happening. The repairman then says that it's not making the sound for him so there's nothing he can do. He denied my offer to show him exactly how it does in fact make the disturbing sounds. Very frustrating. Everyone should complain to Samsung even if you don't actually use progressive scan. You may someday want to use it and I think we should raise a stink now. Anyone having better luck with this?

Anonymous
I have another complaint. Any adjustment made to speaker loudness (the default sub volume is set a little high for my personal taste) is erased every time the unit is turned off.

Anonymous
Hi all,Bought a htdb 600 after reading nice things from this thread. Impressed with sound and other general things. everything is perfect when I play a dvd but when I try to play a vcd( also svcd) I have a problem forwarding. I am able to fwd it upto 10 min and from there unable to go further either by the 5min fast forward or 2x,4x etc. I only have to play it till the position I want and thereon. and the worst thing is everytime I stop in between and try to start again it starts from the beginning!!! Not being able to forward and going back to start position everytime is giving me a BIG problem. can anyone here help me??? i may have to return this, if not. thank u all so much

Anonymous
Here's one I haven't seen posted here. Every time I put in a DVD released by Fox, the color fades in and out, with the screen sometimes going blue like it lost the signal. I don't have this issue with any other DVD's, and am otherwise happy with it. Any suggestions?

I just purchased the hd-db600 yesterday. I am hooking up my TV, XBOX and Playstation 2. I was unable to get sound from my tv through the system. Xbox worked. Playstation2 i used the optical line for audio (didn't work) and no video.

Where am i hooking up the audio(Red, White) from the tv to the system?

please email me at nuncio_25@yahoo.com if you can assist me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Tyson
I purchased the Samsung HT-DB600 about 2 months ago, and I have been very happy with it.

Unfortunately, I got the LOR (Lord of The Rings) The Two Towers extended edition yesterday and the system will not play disc two.

It shows the menu, but when I select continue movie or play movie it crashes and just hangs there.

If anyone has experienced this freezing/crashings problem or knows how to get it to not freeze/crash I would be very interested.

Thanks!

Tyson
p.s. Jason, I had trouble getting video to play through the system also, plus my TV has AV plugs in the front, so I just plugged my Gamecube into the TV and the TV into the AUX 1 inputs on the Samsung. The sound will go through the TV to the surround sound. Hope that helps.

Anonymous
My dad and I got the unit a few days ago, our first DVD player. Our Toshiba TV blown its right speaker, so we wanted a unit that came with a reciever and speakers. So far we're pretty happy with it. Tyson, LOTR: EE works fantastic on it, I watched all 4 discs with no error at all. However, on Disc 2, it does pause a few times when I play it on my Pioneer DVD drive in my computer.

Anyway, I have a few questions: We have digital cable (GI DCT2000 cable box). A single coax from that to the TV supplies audio and video. However in order to watch DVDs, I must manually change the TV to Video 1 mode, as the DVD is using the video in composite jack on the TV, from the video out composite on the DVD player. Is there ANYWAY I can reduce the need to have to manually switch TV modes. So it'll act like a VCR, i.e. when you turn it on, it automatically switches, and plays whatever tape is in. Btw, for audio from digital cable, we must use the aux line outs to the aux line in on the HT-DB600.

This is what we do: Use TV Remote to switch from TV mode to Video 1. Use DVD remote to operate dvds etc. When DVD is over, use TV remote AGAIN to switch back from Video 1 to TV mode, use DVD remote to switch to aux 1 for audio. Basically I'd like to control everything from the DVD remote and eliminate the need to use the TV's own remote for anything. The only reason for keeping it around is because we must change TV modes.

Oh btw, Bling thanks! My dad would like to watch Polish and German DVDs, and we're were afraid the region 1 would prevent that, but if you're method makes the HT-DB600 that is great news indeed!

Lastly, because we've had to use a composite video cable to see the DVD, there is a weird, color distortion effect. While the image quality is great, sharp etc, there is an effect that ripples, most notable in areas of black. Is this the downside to use composite, and would using S-Video (TV does doesnt have component connections) eliminate this annoying image issue?

Btw, I posted a more detailed thread including diagrams of my setup, even scans of the device panels if it'll help: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335068

Unregistered guest
I bought a Samsung HT-DB600 2 days ago, even after reading the posts here. After hooking it up, I immediately noticed many of the same problems that were already discussed here:
1. Some brand new DVDs freeze for no apparent reason
2. Volume between DVDs varies tremendously
3. The overall volume was very low, even at the maximum volume, it was nowhere near the advertised 80 W per channel

I returned the system yesterday and got a Kenwood HTB-206. Now that baby rocks! It has the blow-me-away ounds that I never heard from the Samsung. I highly recommend this system over the Samsung. Ok, I already have a DVD player, but even if you don't, those things are cheap.

Vania
Unregistered guest
I've been using the DB600 for 6 months now and today when I turned it on it appeared MENU and then the word PROTECTION and automatically turned itself off. Any idea on what might be going on???

chris in florida
Unregistered guest
hey all, this board has been really helpful to me, unfortunately I haven't had many of the problems that you guys had, guess I was a little lucky with this xmas present. just wanted to let you all know that region 2 dvds work with the code above.

Unregistered guest
Wire Issue...

Was anyone able to replace their speaker wire. There is the strange plastic connection piece that makes it difficult to just buy a new set of wires. My cat ate through a wire and I would like to replace it before I get even more pissed and kill the cats. Please help if you have been able to figure out how to get the connection pieces on a new wire.

Anonymous

Re: Wire Issue...

I've never ordered from this site but replacement wires are available here;
http://www.samsungparts.com/part_detail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Parts+and+Accessories &product%5Fid=AH81%2D01071J

Good luck.

Anonymous

Re: Wire Issue...

If the above link doesn't work, it's; http://www.samsungparts.com. Part #: AH81-01071J

jeff in georgia
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the Samsung HT-DB600 and received it this week. Although the system was very nice in quality, it wasn't what I expected. Since I have a Samsung HDTV, I chose the Samsung HT to match. I guess my two story living room is larger than I thought, because even though I turned the volume all the way up, it was still wasn't loud enough. I packed it up and sent it back the next day.
Unfortunately, it just couldn't crank out the sound like my Sony 5.1 receiver. Great system for the price, but as mentioned before, it's only good for a small room with good acoustic quality.

Elvis
Unregistered guest
I've had a Samsung HT-DB600 for several months and it is unable to play certain DVDs. It freezes and starts, freezes and starts and then finally blanks out. I can reproduce the problem consistently with the 'Princess Bride' DVD and it sometimes happens with others such as LoTR:TT. This is very annoying. The system is under warranty for another 4 months and I am thinking of calling Samsung.

I noticed some other people reported a similar problem. Has anyone managed to get it fixed?

Username: Comicbookguy

Post Number: 2
I have a Toshiba SD-43HT homt theatre system that is comparable to the above mentioned Samsung System. I was going to get the Samsung, but the Progressive Scan/DTS problem turened me away. Well, the Toshiba has the same exact problem. I can't believe it. When both PS and DTS are on, it sounds like someone is sitting behind the TV rubbing a balloon. So it isn't just Samsung...

Unregistered guest
I bought this from Best Buy a few days ago open boxed and it had no Manual with it. Does anyone know if I can change DVD discs from the remote instead of getting up and pressing the 1-5 buttons? Thanks.

Roger
Unregistered guest
You can skip through the DVD disks using the "Disk skip" button one the remote. Kind of annoying because you have to press the button multiple times to go through disks, but you don't have to get off the couch.

Also, the individual speaker volume settings are are saved, it's just the on-screen menu always shows them as reset. Use the display on the actual DVD player to see the real settings.

PS and DTS work togather on my machine - so it seems like some systems have a faulty chip (which is why the Toshiba mentioned above has the same problem). Make sure to test your system when you get it (you can use PS mode without a PS TV, the screen just won't show correctly).

ToddX
Unregistered guest

quote:

Vania
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:38 pm:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been using the DB600 for 6 months now and today when I turned it on it appeared MENU and then the word PROTECTION and automatically turned itself off. Any idea on what might be going on???

Vania

I have the same problem now. When I try to turn the machine on, the message PROTECTION flashes on the player's display, and then it turns itself on. This is utterly ridiculous. Anyone else having this problem?

Todd

El Maximo
Unregistered guest
I have had my Samsung HT-DB600 for about year now and have the same "Protection" display problem. I contacted Samsung through customer service emails and they referred me to call one of their product specialists. Oh, what help they were !!! All they could tell me was to take it in to get serviced. In other words, I have to buy another system because their product "Failed".. To bad I just missed my 1 year warranty by a couple of weeks. Bad timing.

dalefan
Unregistered guest
I have this model....It worked alright for about the first 6 months and then it turned into the biggest piece of crap! It will only play certain DVDs but freezes constantly and skips repeatedly.
Have cleaned the unit and that does not help. Also DVDs have frozen in the player and if you try to push skip disk it takes a few minutes but then spins the disc, which results in a scratched up DVD that is ruined and wont play in another player.
The sound quality is pretty good but I have noticed that on some DVDs you have to crank it up to the max to be able to hear them at a moderate level.
all in all this is a piece of garbage

Anonymous

I have the same problem now. When I try to turn the machine on, the message PROTECTION flashes on the player's display, and then it turns itself on. This is utterly ridiculous. Anyone else having this problem?

Username: Carrielmo

Farmignton Hills, Mi USA

Post Number: 1
I purchased the HT-DB600 this past January & love it but unfortunately my cat ate the speaker wire so right now im running on 3 speakers with no sub. I went to Samsung's site to order new wires but the are over 25 dollars. Anyone know anywhere else I can purchase them from since I bet this won't be the last time I will be replacing them.

Andrew Choi
Unregistered guest
Hi MAN. your optical cable is fine but you should know you can auromatically fix this issue. You can re-sync the video/audio by pressing the AUX button again on the HT-DB600 remote. Re-sync it and it will work. Go around to digital-in once more and it will make your Tv synce with your home theater.

Username: Haggster

My Samsung HT-DB600 will only flash PROTECTION (what ever that means) and then turns off. From reading the comments below, I realize that I am not alone with this problem. Samsung should address this problem even if the warranty is expired. Given that so many people are having the same problem, they must know this model has a defect.

Wang Lung
Unregistered guest
The "Protection" problem is one of the more common problem with this system, I did a lot of research on DB600 and most of the complain against it is the Protection issue, which once happen has to be sent to their factory in New Jersey (with you paying s&h, even under warranty) so it's a pretty crappy deal. I've read in a couple of forum that the answer is to "hard reset" your system, whatever that means, but thankfully my DB600 still works fine since I bought it on December 03 so I don't have to "hard reset" it...

Unregistered guest
thanks for the info on the PROTECTION problem. I am under warranty, so I can send it in, but does anyone know how to get the dvd's out without power to the unit?

Unregistered guest
My Samsung HT-DB600 player is now having the same problem that a lot of people here have posted.When I turn the power on the word "PROTECTION" comes up and then the unit shuts itself off.Samsung needs to address this defect issue and recall the player.This is ridiculous and the only good part is my warrenty is still good.
If you have a DVD in the player you can get it out by holding down the EJECT button,while continuously turning the volume knob.The tray will eject.For some reason the player will not cut off when you keep turning the volume knob.If you stop turning the volume knob though it will cut off,wierd.

Richard II

SAMSUNG?
Unregistered guest
I HAVE THE SAME PROTECTION PROBLEM IT IS DEFINITELY A DEFECT IN PRODUCT. THE UNIT LASTED 6 MONTHS ALSO BESIDES THAT ITS A GREAT SOUNDING SYSTEM.

Unregistered guest
if your looking for Manual for the HT-DB600.it can be downloaded from the samsung website.

Username: Denhead

on page 24 of manual in small print it says all discs will be played in turn starting with the one selected.when i have loaded with 5 discs or more than one when the dvd ends it goes back to the menu of the same dvd i just watched instead of going to the next dvd what am i doing wrong can anybody please help.

jasilo
Unregistered guest
I have a problem, i have almost 2 year with my HT-DB600, since more than a year i was starting to play DVD-R on it, Today I can't play DVD's only DVD-R, when i insert a DVD it sound how is trying to read it but finally the DVD is skipped and didn't play it. DOes anybody know why? Can anybody help me?

Unregistered guest
I have had my HT-DB600 for almost a year and a half. Enjoy it very much but this weekend I went to put 5 new cds in and it will not read any of them? I went and bought a disk cleaner thinking that was the problem, but it wont read that either? Any one have any ideas why it wont read any cd's or dvd's? It has worked excellent since the time I bought it?

Unregistered guest
PROBLEM CONCERNING DIGITIAL IN:

As mentioned eariler (but never solved) the optical in begins to lag shortly after starting activity. After a bit of time the sound becomes several seconds behind the video. I know I can cycle through the "aux" settings and when I return to digital in the problem is solved, but this is a pain and should not be neccessary. I have read that it is not the optical cable. If this is true, then what is it? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

gabrio
Unregistered guest
hi. I write from Italy, in a non perfect english, just to say that I have the same problem on my Samsung DVD Player. The "protection" writing flashes for less than a second and then my reader die! I saw that I'm not the only one having this trouble... I've understood that the only solution is to buy another DVD's reader...

Unregistered guest
Hello every body, I'm Robert and I'm from El Salvador, thanks for the unlock code I get from this forum. I took the time to write because I think this forum is really useful. Please refer people to this forum and let's keep sharing our ideas and knowledge.

Take care people... and behave.

Robert.

Unregistered guest
REMOTE ISSUE:
i need to get a replacement remote for the system. which universals will work? or where can i get a copy of the origional? will a chameleon 8 work? any info would be appreciated thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1627
Stay away from the chameleon. It constantly turns on and sucks batteries in no time. Get a One For All that is telephone upgradable like the 8910, about $20. To get any universal to do everything you need, you would probably need access to a working remote to teach it some of the functions. I've gone to electronics stores before and used their remote to teach a universal, they don't care.

Unregistered guest
Hello children...

Can anybody tell me how to unlock my samsung ht-db600? I want to play pal dvd's on it please! Please email me at jhony3130@yahoo.com Thank you!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us