Need help choosing a system. (tight Budget)

Username: Hanzpoo

Post Number: 1
Ok guy's I am very new to this and I am on a budget. It is time to get rid of my old JVC surround sound. I have been reading on here and see that nobody likes Bose. Thats how I found this site was looking to see if Bose was worth the money. I have about 1500.00 to spend on a whole unit, I know that is not much, but what would be the best bang for my buck?

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 230
By whole unit do you mean like a receiver, a whole system setup? What all does this include?

Silver Member
Username: Armstrongguy

Post Number: 111
Hi Matthew. I know that HTIB's often get a bad rap (usually for good reason), but I am very happy with my Pioneer system that came with my 50" Hitachi LCD TV as a package deal.
It is a new Pioneer model (HTP55HDFS) found at Futureshop for $699.99, and it comes complete with nice tower (tallboy style) speakers front and back, a good subwoofer and centre channel, and even comes with a "real" receiver and great quality upconverting DVD player, HDMI, the whole works.
I am so happy with the sound. I just wish you could hear it before you go ahead and spend much more for something that doesn't sound near a nice. It looks fantastic too! Absolutely terrific deal for the price. It puts all other HTIB's to shame.Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
Ok yeah I'm still up. ANYWAY!~Yes the right HTiB's give great performance! That right there I've actually heard in store and it sounds pretty good up until you start blasting it. Everything is designed to complement everything else, of course it sounds nice!

Silver Member
Username: Armstrongguy

Post Number: 112
Actually with the proper tweaking, it will blast with the best of them! It took me a couple of weeks of playing with all of the settings to really make it rock.

Post Number: 2
Sorry Andre that is receiver and all. I could probably get a few hundred more bucks. Thanks for the tip armstrongguy. I will be looking into that one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
Hmm, it's just too bad you can't spend much because I was just watching all the highest end stuff over at our high-end store where my brother works and watched Van Helsing. I left sooooo much more pulled into the movie than I was at the theater. The speakers were Paradigm Signature S8 and a center C4. How breathtaking that was with a 70" 1080P HDTV.... All of Rotel's best equipment.
B&W 855 or Paradigms...Descent... Alright mom is getting mad...off I go...when I get home I'll be back...

All for a cool 30 grand.

Post Number: 3
I was going through consumer reports and it said

For the best sound and features:

• Yamaha YHT-670 , $600
• Onkyo HT-S790 , $450

The Onkyo has excellent sound, is very easy to use, and is the only tested system that offers both 7.1-channel surround and all the speakers required for it. The XM-ready Yamaha offers excellent sound quality and a broad range of features, including a separate, five-disc DVD changer, and the ability to control an iPod (through an optional iPod dock) using the system's remote. The system comes with 5.1 speakers but is 6.1-channel ready. That means it can decode and power the rear-center channel, but you'll need to purchase an additional speaker

Great values:

• Samsung HT-Q45 , $295, CR Best Buy
• Panasonic SC-HT740 , $335, CR Best Buy

Both have very good sound quality, are easy to use, and are wireless-ready. Both include integrated, five-disc DVD/CD changers. The Panasonic system has an HDMI output. The Samsung system has the smallest satellites. It has an XM tuner, but (like its sibling, the Samsung HT-Q80) it lacks the AM tuner you'd get with the other systems.

Opinions????

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12060
Consumer Reports??? Not really a good source for home audio reviews.

Your first key here is when the write "Onkyo has excellent sound"! Excellent sound compared to what? Perhaps an old RCA Victrola gramaphone.

Do not waste your budget on an all in one unit. They are not very good!

Get the receiver and the speakers separately.

For that budget, take a look at the Pioneer VSX-1016 and check out the Athena line of speakers.

Post Number: 4
Will Satellite speakers work for the whole system 2 rear and 2 front besides the central channel speaker? I want speakers I can hang that way there are no chance of kids knocking them over.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12067
It depends on the satellite system. Check out bookshelf speakers.

Post Number: 5
I am looking at the Athena's. I am really audio illiterate, so would the best route be Sub, Center speaker, 2 bookshelfs and 2 satellite's?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12068
What satellites did you have in mind?

Post Number: 6
The Athena WS-15 2-Way Satellite Speakers and the Athena AS-B2.2 Audition Series 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers were the main ones I was looking at. I just don't know whats best for what.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12072
Those are good speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us