A/V RCVR With No HDMI

Username: Jimmy58

Austin, Texas USA

Post Number: 1
I have upgraded my TV with a Hitachi 42" plasma monitor. It has HDMI inputs, also the DVD player I bought with the plasma has an HDMI output. My problem is that the A/V reciever I have does not have HDMI. So...to get the best possible picture from the DVD player should I go directly from the DVD player HDMI out to the input on the monitor, then run the sound from the monitor direct out to the A/V receiver or should I just blow off the HDMI ideas and stick to a coax for everything and wait until I have a new reciever that has HDMI to use these connections?

Also does anyone know if the HD dirtect box from Direct TV has an HDMI output? I'll be getting my new equipt. from D.TV in early January but can't find a jpg of the rear panel of the new set top box.

Thanks for any help.

A bit confused in Austin, Texas.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12031
Your first idea is better. Go for a direct connection from your DVD player to your monitor.

Austin, Texas USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny!

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 99
James:
In your case, you want the Direct TV tuner connected to your TV via HDMI
and
your DVD player connected to your TV via HDMI

You can then connect the Direct TV tuner to your AV receiver via Toslink AKA Optical and also connect your DVD player to the AV receiver via Toslink as well.

The Toslink / Optical cables will carry your audio to the AV Receiver and the HDMI will carry the video to the TV.

You can then use your surround speakers and AVR to play the audio for DVD and TV viewing. YOu would need to turn off the volumne on the TV monitor speakers if they exist.

Austin, Texas USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Arty. The monitor does have speakers but they are assignable as the center speaker in 7.1 and 5.1 audio. So I am guessing that I can assign the monitor speakers as the center speaker and the signal coming over HDMI will transmit that to the monitor's speakers. I went out to radio shack and bought the four cables (2 HDMI and 2 toslink/digital optical cables) I needed so as soon as everything gets here I am ready to start set-up.

According to all my ship tracking data the DVD and the plasma monitor are due at my doorstep tomorrow. The direct TV HD set top box and the new dish won't be installed until January 2nd. So I may just set up the old fashion way until then and see what kind of picture I get. I can easily compare then the two different pictures on the monitor.

A little less confused now. Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us