New-be. suggestions for a decent system appreciated

Username: Josta

Berkeley, CA

Post Number: 1
Hi all,
We are buying ourselves a new system for a Christmas gift this year. Our current setup is my old bookshelf system (purchased in 1994) with 2 sets of speakers. As my system has only 1 set of l/r outputs I spliced the wire to run 1 set of speakers in the living room, and ran the others into the adjacent kitchen. We love cooking and its so much fun to listen to good music while we cook.

What we are looking for is a simple system (400 is our max, less is great as we are saving for a wedding). We have a dvd player that is decent, but not fancy. We have an old school tv that uses an rf modulator to receive the dvd and satellite cable input. If we could hook something up so we could enjoy surround sound when we watch dvds, that would be great. But we aren't huge movie buffs, we are more interested in just great sound.

I've included a link to a picture of our living room setup, so you can see its going to be difficult to get true surround sound perfection when we watch tv (any suggestions on speaker placement would also be appreciated). I don't know the dimensions, but I would guess its around 15 by 20 feet.
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=livingroom.65d.jpg

What we would like is:
surround sound for music
ability to plug in an ipod
cd, mp3 (dvdr even?) support and obviously an fm tuner
the ability to run at least 2 of the speakers into the kitchen (we'll go around the baseboard since we are renting and I'm not too keen on wiring through walls).

I've been looking at reviews, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the options and what specifically I should be looking for. We aren't set on a HTIB setup, but I imagine it will give us the most for our money since our speakers need to be replaced as well.

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks all in advance!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12032
Congratulations on that upcoming nuptial:-)

For that budget, it would be best to keep your system to an HTIB set-up. Most HTIBs will be able to accept an iPod given the right adaptor cables. You will need an iPod to RCA cable adaptor.

What have you been checking out?

Username: Josta

Berkeley, CA

Post Number: 2
Hi Berny,
Sorry for the long delay, we were on vacation. Happy Holidays!
I've been looking at the Onkyo systems. I like the Onkyo S790, but even with the after holiday deals my girlfriend thinks it would be too expensive. I like it because we could take 2 of the speakers and put them around the corner in the kitchen without losing any surround sound capability. She thinks we should look around the 300 range, which makes the S590 the way we would go. But then we would lose some surround sound capability if I took two speakers into the kitchen.
Any thoughts, or any other systems I should look at?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12121
The Onkyo will be appropriate for your needs. See what Panasonic has to offer as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 25
What did you end up with? I have Onkyo S780. Wow....It so rocks. Don't think you can find something close for under $1000.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us