Is my tv HD ready?

Username: Pinkfloydian1

Post Number: 2
hey guys,

I just bought a Xbox 360 and i want to get the best picture possible. My tv in the house has the red blue and green component cables. does this mean it is HD? it also has an Svideo input. If not is there anyway to hook it up to my PC LCD monitor even tho the monitor has no AGP connection in it? Prehaps a add on device. thanks for any help.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12022
Go here
http://www.hdguru.com/

What you have right now are component video inputs and is considered High Definition.

Post Number: 3
High definition as in... 1080 or whatever? Thank you for your help btw.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12028
ATSC states that High Definition actually starts at 720p.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3165
Component inputs and HD are 2 completely different things. There are many TVs that have component inputs that aren't HD. If the TV is HD, it will say HD or HDTV on the front of it.

Post Number: 4
Hey so... that was my question... there must be some difference between my tv which does not say HD but has component cables and a tv with HD and component cables. Whats the deal with mine?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12038
Check your TV if it capable of displaying 720 progressive...then it is considered High Definition regardless of what is printed on the console.

If not, then you have a regular definition TV with component video inputs. Still better than composite video. And the best possible picture you can get for that TV.

Also, realize that the 360 maybe capable of HD output, but not all games are in HD. The picture you get is also dependent on your video source.

Post Number: 5
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-AV-27530-27-Stereo-TV/dp/B0002H7HQ6

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-27PT643R-Real-Flat-Stereo/dp/B00008Z0PB

Those are the two I have. What will they display and which is better? Thank you!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12045
Those are regular definition TV. I'd go with the Philips, just because of a the flatter surface.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3166
There are many Philips TVs that crop off a large part of the picture, probably poor adjustment from the factory. I'd try them both and decide for yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 888
Hey Berny, long time no see...I got a similar question but I just need it laid out straight for me. I recentley received an xbox 360 that came with component cables. I have an Hitachi rear projection television (Hitach 51F510) it says "HDTV Ready" does this mean that I will get a HD picture or am I missing something to get the best picture possible ? (I am not very knowledgable in this)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12057
Hello JC, you will only get HD picture quality if your source is in High Definition. Not all XBox games are in HD, and if you want to watch HD-DVD, you will need an HD DVD player. You can get that as a separate attachment for the 360.

Post Number: 6
So as long as a tv is HD ready and the game can display in 1080 or whatever, then you just plug xbox into tv with components/hdmi/dvi and you done?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12071
Yup
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us