Dolby and dts 5.1 matrix decoding techniques and extra information disclosed

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2488
Upload

Wow haven't seen one of these in donkey years now the Marantz SP-50 was one of many affordable Dolby Pro-Logic decoders around by around 1989 with the Yamaha DSR-70Pro being the second most affordable item around it is this technology that still has a few tricks up it's sleeve to do so some fancy tricks with the Dolby or dts 5.1 world of decoding.

One of them is tricking or more a less retrieving information from the left and right fronts what is commonly called (centre phantom) why place a sound that is monaural on left and right fronts when the opening or end credits finish on some types of films.

Films like "Poseidon" the end credits where lyrics and instrumental is placed on the left and right, also "Daylight" where again end credits with lyrics and instrumental are placed on the left and right where score is placed on all channels.

This varies from film to film not all the lyrics or certain types of sound effects and the odd piece of dialogue panned to left and right at the same time and in-phase as well.

So this is where the Dolby Pro-Logic act comes in with affordable means, and with startling results that requires a good ear to set it up!

I have lots a great ideas to expand the home cinema experience in my home to the fullest, even the surrounds or rather the ambient backgrounds can still be active when some films tend to not use surround with music and effects all around you and the odd bit of dialogue panning around the room like in "Mission to Mars".

It's all relatively easy and there it is.

And remember it's all in the mix!

If you have any questions to ask I'll do my best to answer it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us