Looking for solid advice for setting active crossovers

Username: Acharon

Kenosha, Wi USA

Post Number: 3
Just set up my home theater and i have been extremely happy with it thusfar. I have been using my recievers default crossover setting for my F/L, F/R, C, and Surrounds. The default is at 100hz my speakers are Paradigm CT70 home theater package the reciever is H/K AVR 140. Do I risk speaker damage going to any lower of a frequency response. It sounds great right now but I dont wanna be missing out on anything. I do also own the AVIA disc and an spl meter which I do plan on using as soon as my speaker stands get here I dont really wanna get to crazy calibrating now and have to totally redo everything once my speaker locations are different.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 169
Well I've never ever damaged a speaker by trying to drive them HARD at full range. On the other hand the smallest speakers I've run at full range are floorstanding speakers so...uh yeah.

Based on looking at these speakers and reading a couple reviews 80hz would be just fine, but no lower. No offense, but those are some small speakers! Yeah, 80hz would provide a better sub/sat blend in my opinion.

From what I've seen the HK shouldn't have a problem with that

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1236
Paradigm rates the low frequency extension on those little main speakers at 85Hz. Why would you want to set the crossover lower than that?

One of the best audio tests on the Avia disc is a high-to-low frequency sweep. I believe your meter will confirm that the 100Hz crossover will give you a smoother transition between the speakers and the sub. Let the subwoofer do the heavy lifting.

Username: Acharon

Kenosha, Wi USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!! In response to Andre, yes they are small speakers, but it is a a very small room, but to be perfectly honest they really do sound huge in the room they are in. In the past I have been of the persuasion that little speakers = little sound. I have been very pleasantly surprised in all aspects of this sub./ sat system thus far. I don't know if anyone else has ever auditioned these little dudes, but I feel in the proper sized room they are a great "bang for the buck".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us