Help! Annoying ticking noise from speakers!!!!!

Username: Dick23

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a sony HT-7000DH receiver with surround sound about 3 months ago and the past month I started noticing an annoying ticking noise coming out of all 5 speakers. It is very evident to hear when the volume is very low. You can hear the ticking noise on all inputs (DVD, Video1, Tuner, ect) It almost sounds like a heart beat that ticks about every second. Any thoughts or ideas on why thats doing that? Thanks

Post Number: 4
anybody?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1212
Dick, unfortunately you could have a defective receiver. But I would do a couple of things before giving up.

1) Doublecheck the speaker wire hookups in back of the receiver. Make sure there's no stray strands of wire hanging out that may be causing a short.

2) I would see if you can hear the clicks on the headphone jack. The cheapest pair of 'phones will do for this test. (I believe there's a headphone jack on this receiver. Sony's specs say "headphone input: 1 rear." What the hell is that supposed to mean?)

3) This would be a hassle, but I would consider testing the unit out on a completely different circuit. Even a different house. There could be something coming in on the AC line causing the clicks.

Post Number: 5
Thank you John S for your input. Here are my results of your test.

I made sure that all of my wires were securely fastened with no extra strands hanging out. Still the ticking. Next I took it to another house with the same result. I then took some headphones into the jack and did not notice any ticking sounds. What does that mean? Again, appreciate the input in advance!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1216
There seems to be something wrong with the final amp stage in your receiver. I think we've eliminated all other possibilities. Some service seems to be in order here. Be sure to disclose the lack of noise on the headphone output on the service request.
Good luck.

Username: Bmenard

Post Number: 1
Hello All,

I have the same problem as described above, except I can hear the ticking through the headphone jack as well. I have checked all of the speaker connections on both ends and everything was/is clean. I even replaced all speaker wires with new contractor grade wiring thinking that there may have been a kink somewhere along the old wiring. But no luck, still ticking away (only audible when volume is very low).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Menard

Sony STR DG600
Polk Audio RM6750 Surround
Polk Audio PSW303 Sub
Samsung DVD R-130
Scientific Atlanta Digital Cable Box

Post Number: 7
I ended up taking my receiver in and having somebody fix it. Unfortunantly it is taking them forever to fix it because I don't think the person knows exactly what the problem is even I explained it to him 50 times

Username: Bmenard

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info, Dick.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just so you know, I brought mine back in and had them replace it with another one (after following all the steps that were suggested to you in the previous post). I brought home the replacement, set it up and sure enough, same problem. I've done a few specific searches online and found numerous other complaints about the same thing. So I brought it back and had their Tech hook it up. He heard the same ticking (even though he played it through a $2000 set of Polk Audio mains). He said that he had never had that complaint before, which surprised him considering he had sold hundreds of them, and I had two "lemons" in a row. He ended up refunding my money and suggested I go out and by a Pioneer or Yamaha, as they had nothing else in the same price range. I bit the bullet and paid a little more for a Harman Kardon AVR 140, which I am more than happy with.

Hope this helps in some way.

Bob

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 29
You don't live on a farm with an electric fence unit do you, lol : )