Need to Connect - I am almost there

Username: Yboriginal

Delray Beach, FL US

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Samsung Plasma S5053 w/ 2 HDMI Ports. In addition, I have the following components:
Sony Recevier STR DE675 (No HDMI)
Panasonic DVD Recorder/ VCR DMRES45V (w/1 HDMI)
Scientific Atlanta Cble Box DVR 8300 HD (w/1 HDMI)

I am trying to figure out the best way to hook up this entire system, as each manual tells a different story. This is what I have done so far:

1) Optical going from DVD to Receiver
2) Optical going from TV to Receiver
3) HDMI - DVD to TV (input 2)
4) HDMI - Cable Box to TV (input 1)

What else do I need? I want to be able to watch and listen to DVDs with or without my receiver on. Also, do I need to hook a video cable from the TV or cable box to the receiver?

I told the wife to have some faith in me, before I throw in the towel. Please assist, anyone. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 297
Fred: HDMI carries both sound and picture, so when you hook up the DVD and the cable box to the TV with HDMI you get sound and picture and you do not need to turn on the Sony receiver. Now to get surround sound you need to send one Optical wire from the DVD to the receiver and one Optical wire from the cable box to the receiver. The optical out put on the tv is ONLY for the built in ATSC tuner in your TV that works off an over the air antenna.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 81
Fred:
1) Optical going from DVD to Receiver
2) Optical going from Cable box to Receiver
3) HDMI - DVD to TV (input 2)
4) HDMI - Cable Box to TV (input 1)

This would allow you to watch DVDs and TV using the TV speakers. (HDMI carries picture and sound).

Also, optionally, if you turn on your receiver, the optical will carry digital audio to your receiver and you can switch to the correct receiver input and then play DVD and even TV over the speakers attached to your receiver.

Typically your DVD can also play music CDs so that would work as well.

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 122
Fred you already have it hooked up properly. If the problem is no sound is coming out of your TV speakers you may have to set the sound to 2ch audio on the cable box and DVD. I know anything in Dolby Digital will not play out of my Samsung LCD TV speakers so i have to set the HD DirecTivo to Dolby Digtal OFF to get audio to my TV via the HDMI cable.

Delray Beach, FL US

Post Number: 2
Thank you all. I will switch the optical to go from the cable box to receiver rather than tv to receiver. In addition, since my DVD player is a combo DVD recorder/ VCR, do I need to add any other cables for recording purposes? (i.e. s- video from DVD Recorder to Cable Box) or does the HDMI from the DVD to TV cover all grounds

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 300
Fred you need to add an S-video and audio wires from the cable box to the DVD RECORDER. You will be able to record all channels even HD ( but only in 480i). You also need to hook up wires for the VCR. Try this site http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/

Delray Beach, FL US

Post Number: 3
The last thing I need to accomplish is the PIP function on my Samsung. I am having no such luck. You all have been very helpful.

Username: Khunt

Hi All

I know this sounds familiar,but here we go again.

My reciever has HDMI out.
Do i still need to run dvd/sat to tv with hdmis or can i just hdmi and optical dvd/sat to reciever and then hdmi to TV from reciever.

Many thanks for any suggestions

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 315
Keith if your receiver has HDMI switching you will not need optical at all. HDMI from the DVD and SAT to receiver should carry all the audio/video you need. Then run one HDMI from receiver to TV.

Username: Hoosiers1

I have a Panasonic plasma tv (model TH-37PX60U) and also just got a Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV receiver and I am having problems hooking up my HDMI cables from the cable box, THROUGH the receiver, and then into the tv. I have one HDMI cable running from the Comcast cable box (Motorola DCT3412) to the HDMI IN1 jack on the receiver. Then I have another HDMI cable going from the HDMI OUT jack in the receiver to the HDMI IN1 jack in the TV. There is no picture/sound on the tv when I do this??? How can I get the HD signal to go from the cable box THROUGH THE RECEIVER (HD picture AND sound) to the TV?? Can somebody help me? Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us