Center channel sound distortion

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbrit

IN

Post Number: 16
While watching some movies the voices coming from the center channel are distorted. It only happens occasionaly but it is definately there. What could be causing this as all other sound, even those many times louder than the voices come through crystal clear?

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 143
It could be caused by lots of things.

Just to get the ball rolling...... maybe your speaker has a weakness at a specific frequency, or maybe you have a loose connection.

Bronze Member

IN

Post Number: 18
I have checked the connections on the speaker and the receiver, everything looks good and tight. I am using 12 Gauge speaker wire. The speaker is a JBL EC35. I suppose it could be faulty, how would I check it? My receiver is a Denon 1620 and I'm using a 5.1 set up.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 77
Question:
Is the tweeter cone in your center a metallic or fabric cone?

Reason being, when fabric tweeters go bad, they still sound kind of good, just not a good, however when metallic tweeters go bad they REALLY go bad and you get a raspy and distorted sound on highs.

Just a thought...

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11460
If it only happens occassionally, check your source. if the distortion always happens on the same track, it could be the media.

Username: Slntdeath

Post Number: 3
This may sound stupid, but I've noticed that when you play some media and your Treble setting is on max, Depending on the frequency of what's playing, it can distort the sound. Try turning down the Trebel setting and see how it goes.

Username: Brucered

Post Number: 1
my center channel is cutting out to, similar to what as talked about in this thread:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/206896.html

is there a fix?

i have 2 JVC receivers doing it to 2 different ATHENA center speakers.

Bronze Member

IN

Post Number: 20
Well I finaly found the problem with my center channel speaker, it's a JBL ec35, one of the sub cones was defective. It only happened occasionaly but when it did the sound was muffled/distorted. I contacted JBL and they sent me another speaker, I installed it and it's perfect, no distortion or muffling whatsoever. I examined the cone and coil closely after removal and could see nothing wrong but that was the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us