mf230AHome theatre hookup

Username: Orcirc

Post Number: 1
I would like to know the best hookup for Magnavox 42" Plasma model Mf230A Harmon Kardon Receiver avr 135 with harmon kardon dvd 22, Direct tv Hi Def Receiver and Panasonic dvd/vcr combo recorder Model # dmr-es40v This is what I have Done so Far. Direct tv receiver hdmi to dvi on maganavox tv. Optical audio out to harmon kardon receiver optical in. Harmon Kardon dvd out to tv in with component video cables and optical audio out from dvd to harmon kardon optical in. My problem comes now that I don't know how to hoopup the dvd recorder to finish things off. Do i need a second vhs machine? If I add a go dvd to the recorder how does this hookup? Thanks for any help you can give me. kris

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1122
kris, how about using the satellite box's S-video out (or composite video out) to the Panasonic's S-video (or composite) input. Use red/white RCA cords for the audio out from the satbox to the DVD/VCR. Then use component out from the Panasonic to the plasma's second component input. I understand this unit upconverts VHS to component, so you'd be good to play tapes as well as DVDs. You would however have to use analog R/L patch cords from the Panasonic to the HK AVR in order to hear audio from a VHS tape.

Username: Orcirc

Post Number: 2
John If I am copying old vhs tapes to dvd do I need another vcr? and if I use a go dvd to copy dvds how does that work?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11349
The only problem you might run into when copying VHS tapes would be the copy protection. If they are home videos you shouldn't have any issues transferring them to DVD.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1129
Yes, as the C-Net review states on this piece:

The Panasonic DMR-ES40V handles VHS-to-DVD (and vice versa) dubbing with ease--just press one of the dubbing buttons on the remote or the face of the deck, and you're in business. (Naturally, the device won't let you record copy-protected VHS and DVD media.)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_DMR_ES40V/4505-6505_7-31570865.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us