What sorround sound system can I get with $1,600 +/- ??

Username: Maq0kfx

Cape Coral, Fl USA

Post Number: 3
HI, my budget is $1,600 for a sorround sound system to go in a room that's 28' wide and 35 deep and 11' ceiling, I currently have a 46" LCD, the front speakers have to be either floor model or shelve/book type of speakers, the rear can be maunted on the ceiling either as a cube type or flushmounted.

Of course I need a good AMP, Woofer. I appreciated any feedback.
Thanks.

Mike.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11328
Here's what I like for that price range.

For the receiver I like the Pioneer VSX-1016.
For the speakers Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 alla round with an HSU STF-2 Subwoofer.

There are plenty of others and you have to consider that not everyone will have the same tastes and none are necessarily bad or better, just different.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 276
That is one large room. In order to get good sound in a room that big your going to need a powerful Amp and large speakers. I don't think $1600 will cut it, maybe twice that much.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 29
I think you should start with a 5.1 system.
So the FL, FR, SL, SR speakers should all be the same. You will also need a center speaker as well along with a subwoofer.

You can check ebay for some used B&W DM-302s and a CC3. They would set you back about $600~ for the 5 in good used shape.

For the Subwoofer, an 8" or 10" would be a good starting point. Need not be the same manufacturer as the othe speakers. That is a big ticket item. $350 to $600.

Figure on $200 for 12 gauge speaker wire and banana plugs.

Then go for as much of an AV receiver that you can get. Perhaps nothing less than 80 watts per channel. I started with a Denon AVR-1906 which worked very very well and it runs in the $350 range.

That is a pretty large room, what size is you listening / viewing area (really) for the TV?? It must be something smaller than the room dimensions. You may need to fashion stands for the surround speakers and the such.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us