HDMI

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 48
i was reading a review of the Toshiba HD DVD player and the author mentioned somthing about the audio being transferred over the HDMI cable being uncompressed as compared to SPDIF (coax or optical) which is compressed. is this true?

Username: Pramodapple

Sharjah, UAE United Arab ...

Post Number: 6
This below info was posted by Nash on club rotel forum, thought will answer your question. read on...

HDMI carries video and audio on the same cable, so it reduces clutter if you use it for both. Both HDMI and optical carry digital audio, so there is no advantage to one of the other when they are carrying the same bits.

"That said, HDMI has much higher bandwidth (especially the new HDMI 1.3). Higher resolution codecs and lossless codecs cannot be transported over optical (or coax), and HDMI must be used. HDMI can also carry high resolution PCM audio, which is what people are doing these days with HD-DVD and Blu Ray, until HDMI 1.3 players and preamps come out. At that point, you'll be able to ship lossless audio from your HD DVD player (Dolby TrueHD for instance) directly to your preamp/receiver on an HDMI cable.

There is no signal degradation if your signal is digital. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable going Source -> Preamp -> Display when using digital video and audio.

Bottom line, optical and coax audio are going the way of the dodo bird."

Thx Pramod.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 61
thanks for the response Pramodapple, since i posted this i had done some research on the subject. according to www.hdmi.org HDMI supports higher resolution formats like DVD Audio (1.1). I assume this means that DVD Audio is compressed if it goes through optical or coax if it even goes through at all. i don't have any DVD Audio so i have not tested this. since most of the equipment out there is HDMI 1.1 i believe this is one advantage to using HDMI over optical or coax at this point.
one other thing i found on www.dolby.com about Dolby TrueHD is they list the optimal way to hook your equipment up is either HDMI or Multi Channel input. "Because Dolby Digital encoding support is optional in HD players, you will need to look for a next-generation player equipped with a S/PDIF output and built-in Dolby Digital 5.1-channel encoding technology." reffering to if your reciever/processor does not have HDMI or multi channel inputs.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/AVRs/trueHD_avrs_2.html

Username: Pramodapple

Sharjah, UAE United Arab ...

Post Number: 9
That's quit a lot of info on those sits, thx for the links buddy.
cant wait to hear the difference when they come out... specally HDMI carry high resolution PCM audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us