Home Theatre Computer for Games

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 68
Now that I have HD Cable, my last major purchase will be a computer to hook through my receiver.

My intent is to allow the kids (and myself) to play on-line games like Counter-strike, Halo etc.

I was trying to keep the computer under $1000.00. but am wondering how expensive the graphics card will need to be for a good display on a 92 inch screen.

I could use HDMI or component output.

What else could this computer do for my system?

I would appreciate hearing your experience under similar circumstances.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11108
Have you tried going the DIY route?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
If you mean building one myself - not really. I'm not really a computer whiz - probably never will be.

I'm just wondering how much I'll need to spend to get a good picture on my large screen. The graphics card will define the other system requirements.

I'm also wondering what else the PC can be used for in my home theatre.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11117
Go here and check out the Media Center PC and you will know more about what you would want to get. A good graphics card is not cheap.

http://www.mediacenterpcworld.com/

Username: Msvara

Post Number: 2
Hey Hogwild, Your budget is way too low for a good gaming graphics card. Shoot for at least $2000. An excellent system that is pre-built for you is www.alienware.com.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Yeah, I really don't understand the differences all that well. Nice websites though.

I was thinking of buying the HD Cable PVR for $600.00 (22 month payback from renting). The Cable company will provide a HD Cable box for free with subscription. (for another TV - $150.00 bonus)

If I bought a better PC, would it replace the HD Cable PVR completely? In other words, will the PC connect directly to the incoming cable and provide all the same features?

This way I could put the $600 towards a better computer.

My ignorance is showing.

Username: Msvara

Post Number: 4
You could replace a PVR with a PC but having a PVR is much much easier to use. See if your cable co has a HDPVR unit combined so that you can record the HD shows in HD format.

Good Luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us