Using An Existing S-Video Cable for Component HDTV

Username: Triksterut

Utah

Post Number: 3
Hey all,

I have a house that is all prewired and nicley done (for a few years back before HDTV came around). I don't want to rip into things to run one cable. It already has an SVideo, RG6 Coax, and one RCA Video cable run from my A/V rack to the TV "nook".

to avoid running a cable I was seeking adapters. I found a place on the WWW:

http://www.svideo.com

They sell an S-Video -> Component Video adapter. I was thinking if I put one of these on each end of my S-Video cable then I would be in buisness. Anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Jeremy

Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 7
Hey Jeremy,

The only reason you would want to do this is to try to get HD video signals to your TV. Otherwise, you are taking the same signal, breaking it down from three cables to one, then breaking it back out to three cables. All those connections will degrade your signal to some degree.
The real question is (and I don't have the answer to this just yet... ANYONE???) is can you pass HD video through an S-video cable?
I'm not so sure that you can. Component cable breaks things in to three different parts, the s-video cable uses 4 pins) but if the signal isn't altered in any way and just carried over different conductors, it 'could' work.

Now I'm curious...

Caleb Denison
Home Theater Guru
Aperionaudio.com

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 8
I should have looked at that cable first.
This cable will not do the job you want it to. The three rca cables are for audio left and right and video (composite) the red and white RCA connections are running to a 1/8" mini plug- you might use this for connecting a video camera to a TV.

Utah

Post Number: 4
Hey Caleb,

I am curious as well. I do not think those RCA connectors are for audio. The colors are the same (probably ordered some standard plug) but S-Video does not carry an audio signal at all if I remember correctly. If it actually converts the single S-Video to three different RCA connectors it may work (other than frequency and quality limitations). I should order it and try it worst case I'm out a couple of bucks.

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 10
Jeremy,

Am I looking at the same cable? Maybe not. The one I see when I click your link has a Yellow, Red and White RCA connection on one end and an S-Video AND 1/8" mini-jack (headphone jack) on the other. That headphone jack would be connected to the red and white RCAs which, under normal standards, will be for audio. If there was no other connector on the opposite side of the cable, I would hold out some hope to. But that isn't what I'm seeing here.

Caleb Denison
Home Theater Guru
Aperionaudio.com

Utah

Post Number: 5
Doh! You are right I was looking at it incorrectly. Well there goes that idea. Any other thoughts? How about cutting the ends off my SVideo cable and making something else out of it :-)

Jeremy

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 30
Jeremy,

depending on how it is wired you may be able to use the s video to easily fish the component or HDMI cable back up into the attic and to your "tv nook". you could just tape the new cable to the end of the s video cable and pull it through.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 16
Hi Jeremy, if you can't pull new cables through (they're could well be neatly clipped down), I'd definitely try recombining your existing cabling...

You already have "an SVideo, RG6 Coax, and one RCA Video cable", and I believe you want to run component connection instead (three RCA plugs, blue, green and red).

Analogue video signals normally run over 75ohm coax, and component uses three runs. So, assuming your existing wiring is up to spec, you have two runs of 75ohm wire in your s-video cable, and a third run in the "RCA video cable".

I'd cut the ends off the s-video cable and fit two RCA plus at each end and use it with the existing video cable. You'd trade two connections existing connections (component and s-video) for one component connection.

Cabling purists would probably cuff me round the ear for suggesting it, and you for doing it, but I definitely think it is work a try. It would be easy just swap back again too; nothing like the nightmare I had making my own fully wired scart plugs (21 wires x four plugs...).

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us