5.1 or 7.1

Username: Tsrofe

San diego, Ca US

Post Number: 3
i have heard alot about wheather or not i should go the 7.1 route is it worth it? or would it be a little over kill unless i had a larger room to work with

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10991
Really depends on how much it is worth to you.

I have a 7.1 system, but most of the media I have are in 5.1 so the capability is there but under utilized.

Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 4
Hey Travis,

How large is this room that you are putting the system in? Do you have multiple rows of seating or are most folks going to be in a couch or sectional area?

This is sort of an echo of an earlier post that I made, but here's my take on 5.1 vs 6.1 or 7.1

Right now, the overwhelming majority of DVDs are coded with 5.1 information. Every once in a great while we get a 6.1 disc that has discreet information for the rear surrounds. Most of the time, though, your receiver will need to take the 5.1 information and extrapolate some sound to put in those rear speakers. So, in short, the rear speakers are underutilized right now and I think that is why so many are quick to say that all you need is 5.1. It's true that properly set-up 5.1 is very impressive.
You may have noticed that there are some new, high definition DVD players hitting the market. Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disc can accomodate 7.1 and once one of these formats really takes off I think movies studios will start to code the discs that way. So... if you want to future proof the system and be able to take advantage of 7.1 (and this assumes your going to stick with this house for a while) then you should consider having the wire run for the additional two speakers regardless.
Frankly, there are some room scenarios where more than 5.1 just doesn't make sense. For instance, you really need at least 3 feet of distance from the listener to the back surround(s) if you want to get anything special from them.

Cheers.
Caleb Denison
aperionaudio.com

Username: Tsrofe

San diego, Ca US

Post Number: 5
yea i was talking with some people that have 7.1 and its to expensive for not enough media. i will do this eventually but i want to see more 7.1 coding before i invest in it. plus my room is not very big and it would just be over kill. although i know 7.1 will sound amazing in my ultimate plan set up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us