Reciever opinions needed

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 72
I'm going to upgrade my reciever I currently have a htr-5850 yamaha reciever. I'm looking at these recievers

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1001509&navigationPath=33000n32100n32108n46020

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/HTR5990B.jsp

what do you guys think?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10738
Stay away from Sony receivers. That Yamaha is nice:-)

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 433
I have never had a problem with Yammies, with the mild exception of their power ratings. However those specs seem pretty up-front.

Try looking at a similarly priced HK as well; it can at least give you other options and some comparisons.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1083
jim,
Given that you are already familiar with using Yamaha, I think that is a definite plus toward the new Yamaha. Also in my experience Sony receivers are not easy to set up and operate.

The Yamaha supports HDMI (2 in 1 out) and the Sony does not. The Yamaha has 3 component inputs compared to the Sony's two.

Assuming comparable prices, the choice is obvious.

I do find it interesting that the Yamaha's HDMI 1.1 output will upconvert any incoming analog video (composite, S-video, component), but not any incoming analog audio signal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
cool thanks guy I should of mentioned that I work at a furniture store so I get discounts on yama and sony so thats why I was looking at the 2. Cause personally I'd love something from outlaw or denon

Username: Tsrofe

San diego, Ca US

Post Number: 1
hey guys i am looking to start a new system for my self and i was thinking of a seperate component system what do you guys think of that? im on a little bit of a budget but i would rather just piece it together and have something really nice. any suggestions would be awsome

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10983
Jim,
Just get something from Outlaw, if that is what you'd rather have. Don't suffer from the "what if" and "should-a got" syndrome. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Actually guys I just got done talking to someone from outlaw and I'm going to be ordering the outlaw 1070 in a couple weeks. This reciever is Amazing and so well planned. look at the back of it these guys must be hometheatre junkies

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11057
As the great Quagmire will say..."ALRIIGHT!"

Welcome to the Outlaw hideout!

Username: Bifford

Tillsonburg, Ont Canada

Post Number: 2
Sony vs Yamaha? Yamaha all the way, Just bought a Yamaha RX-V 757, it's awesome. I'd never buy any other brand for a reciever.

Username: Jak_jericho

Pembroke, MA US of A

Post Number: 5
Love my Pioneer VSX-74txvi Has everything with lots of power, easy setup and great price.Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1302
What a monster.

Hate to be redundant, but do stay away from Sony. If you can afford the outlaw great, if not Yamaha and Pioneer should do so much better for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us