Hooking Up Surround on older TV...

Username: Majinbroly

Post Number: 8
Ok, recently we (my family, I'm a teen) got a surround from a friend. We decided not to connect it to our main TV because it was a system where the DVD was the tuner, but we already have a DVD player (VCR combo so we needed it out there to still watch old tapes). It was from 2001 anyway so we went out and got a new one and hooked that up (easy enough). NOW, we are thinking of putting the older one (as our friend didn't want it back) in the computer/videogame room.

The problem is, this TV has set of composite IN connections.

Here's what I'm getting at: for the main room system, it was easy since we have a cable box. We just connected audio and video from that to the tuner, then video from the tuner to the TV.

But in the computer room, the signals enter the TV straight through a coax(cable) line, and the composite connections are IN, not OUT. How do I set this up so that the audio signals (which are normally carried into the TV via the cable) get into the DVD/Tuner and out to the speakers, while the video still makes it to the TV?

Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 6
you could use a VCR and run your coax into that. then run the rca outs fron that into the reciever and the video out into the TV.

Post Number: 9
O_O...I didn't even think of that

much thanks. I hope I do not need to come back for further help :D.

Post Number: 10
actually, I have a question

if I hook it up like you said, would I need to have my VCR on all the time and use the VCR remote to change channels?

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 8
yes it is being used just like a cable box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Ok, thanks. O Joy..3 remotes...

too bad I have to hook it up this way, because I don't see there being a way to have the playstation be able to be surround (which is really the only time I use the TV)

I'll see how things go, but I have a feeling we won't even bother with it.

But thank you for the help

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 10
alot of VCRs have inputs on the front for stuff like that and a universal remote could easily control all 3.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
again...I totally blanked on that. thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us