Need to narrow down extensive list.

Username: Htupgrade

Post Number: 1
I'm considering getting a brand new home theater system as Dolby Pro Logic on my Technics system just isn't cutting it any longer. My budget is 3K for the speakers and a grand for the receiver. My choices for speaker systems are the Revel Concertas, Monitor Audio Silver RS, Infinity Betas, and Aperion 6 series. If you take a look at that list, you'll see why this is a hard choice. I've taken a listen to all except the Aperions of course, but discerning quality is hard in a store. They'll be used in a 20' by 20' setting. The planned receivers are the Denon 3806, NAD T753, Rotel RSX-1056, and Pioneer VSX-82TXS. HDMi swiching is not crucial but it would be nice to have some features, but most importantly sound quality is a must. So if ecoustics users have any other recommendations or can shed some light on the systems I have listed, it'd be much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 266
Hawk has written a great article over in SPEAKER PACKAGES check it out. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/260584.html

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1245
Based on personal experience I would probably drop the Denon from that list if SQ is really important to you. Based on what others have recommended here you may want to look at Outlaw instead.

If you are looking at the Monitor Audio, they have them on sale for about 50% off the retail price at Saturday Audio Exchange right now. You may want to to check it out.

www.saturdayaudio.com

Username: Htupgrade

Post Number: 2
So Saturday Audio is an established authorized online retailer? Are they reviewed by Bizrate and/or Pricegrabber? And last, do they offer the full manufacturer's warranty? Stof, are you able to recommend the NAD, Rotel, or Pioneer over the other? I'm afraid that the Outlaws won't have enough power for my listening area. 20' by 20'

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1246
Saturday Audio is a real store here in Chicago. They are really good guys that care about audio. Since I visit the store itself I have never bought anything on-line, but I have never heard any complaints about them on that front.

Of the ones listed there I would rank them as follows: 1) Rotel 2)NAD 3)Pioneer. NAD has great sound, but there has been so much complaints about its quality and the units (especially the T series) breaking down that I would find it hard to recommend. Pioneer I never get too excited about. They are a mass market commercial brand and they do what they do across many electronics. I wouldn't rank them the highest in SQ.

Again I have never heard Outlaw myself, but by all accounts I don't think the units are possibly underpowered. Especially compared to a pioneer. You may want to look at their power rating with all channels driven. Besides they havea money back warrantee so what do you have to loose?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us