Best Way to Hook HDMI TV, DVD and Non HDMI Receiver

Username: Cobratx

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I have a the Sony KDF50E2000, 50" LCD HDTV (1080i) with 2 HDMI inputs. My question is, what is the best way to wire the TV with a non HDMI receiver to get the best video and audio performance? I plan to hook up my digital cable and DVD and use my theatre room primarily for watching rented DVD's and HDTV from my cable box. I have not purchased the receiver but will be doing so shortly and the HDMI ones are expensive, thus the reason I'm looking at non HDMI.

Thanks,
Duane

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10441
Does your DVD player and digital cable have any HDMI outputs? That would really determine the type of connections you will need.

If your cable box and DVD player are HDMI capbale, then you can connect directly to the TV and just use the digital audio outputs to connect to the receiver and use it just for surround sound.

Username: Cobratx

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 2
I haven't purchased the DVD player yet, but plan on purchasing a 1080i upconverting unit with the HDMI output connection.

As for cable, I have Time Warner and my current box does not have an HDMI connection. There website indicates I can swap my box for a HD box, and I'm presuming that box will have HDMI? Does anyone have experience with Time Warners boxes?

Regards,
Duane

Username: Kareno

I have a sony dream system, vcr and hd receiver. What way do i hook all componets up so i can either hear them through the TV or the surround system. Thx, Karen

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10457
Karen.

Try this site:

http://www.ce.org/connections_application/

I know you probably won't be back here after you get what you need, but next time, please start your own thread. Hijacking another person's thread is quite rude.

Username: Kareno

Berny- That's pretty harsh words there. I had no idea what I did was so wrong.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10473
Sorry it was just a reminder. It probably just reads harsh, I tried not to use harsh words as some of our members do. I'm sure you read the posting guidelines. I did not know that the word "rude" is quite harsh in such a sensitive and politically correct world.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 50
Duane,

the time warner HD boxes do not have HDMI but DVI. you would need a DVI to HDMI adapter. my suggestion to you would be to use HDMI for the DVD player and just use component video cables for the cable box. i have seen the DVI port not work on a few cable boxes so i think your safest bet is component video. Good Luck!

Username: Kevlev

New York, NY United States

I have a Mistubishi 52 DLP TV that has the HDMI output on it but I can't get it to work. I had my cable company come in, switch the box, and still no luck. I even went out and "exchanged" the originial HDMI cable for another one and STILL same result. So I guess I have to call Mitsibushi and tell him the reason the HDMI isn't working is because something is wrong with the output on the TV. Even though they told me there is nothing wrong. But that is what it has to be, for I have changed everything else and still the same problem. Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

Username: Muddmutts

I just bought a new 1080P hdtv. I already had a Bose system but the converter Comcast gave me didn't have an HDMI port. While I waited for the tech I connected with the DVR, my dvd and the surround system and the s-sound worked fine. The tech came in to replace the converter and now my sound is not working except throuth the DVD player. I wish I would have left it without the damm HDMI box. He started taking this and that out after I spent 4 hours with setting it all up. Now I don't know what the #%$^ to do... Please Help!

Bronze Member

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 59
wow Berny, i guess this thread is just destined to be hijacked. haha

Username: Muddmutts

Before you assume I am hijacking why don't you explain to me "how to" hijack.. Are you "JACK" or "DICK"?? Just looking for some help...thanks for nothing..I'm allset!

Bronze Member

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 60
its pretty simple, you just start your own thread smart guy . . .

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 25
Duane:
In my HD home theater system I have done the following...

Cablevision HD Cable Box ----> HDMI to TV HDMI input 1
Cablevision HD Cable Box ----> Optical Input 1 on Denon

DVD -----> HDMI to TV HDMI input 2
DVD -----> Optical Input 2 on Denon

DENON ---> TV via Composit (for menu feed only)

DENON --7--> 6 speakers and Subwoofer via 12 gauge and bananas and RCA coax to the LFE.

Power = Monster power strip, the big one $150~

I have the upconverting DVD from Samsung and have the HDMI setting at Bitstream.

I have all audio going via the opticals to the DENON and the sound is super. I just have to switch the "source" to either TV (Cable Box) or DVD. I keep the Denon on "Auto" so that it can auto detect Dolby or DTS and it defaults to Stereo 6CH as I have a 6.1 speaker system.

I also have the Denon attached to the TV via composite video out so that I can see the Denon Setup Menues for the rare occasion that I do a setup change.

Although my Denon 2807 can accept HDMI input I see no value or reason to use it as a "switcher" and in fact like the direct connect as my TV has two HDMI inputs.

So my receiver is on the audio side only.

I think you may need to upgrade to a HD cable box from your cable system providor but I am not sure. I had to do that with Cablevision and went with their DVR HD cable box. Kind of a Tivo with a hard drive.... too cool.

Any questions please ask and I will be willing to share...

Cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us