No audio on component, fine on analog

Username: Aacool

Post Number: 1
Hi folks,

I recently setup my component connection between my (new) LG 29" Flatron Television and Toshiba SD-3980 DVD Player. I initially connected the composite (red, white, yellow) cables between the DVD player and television and am getting fine audio and video output on the TV. I then added a component video cable to the single component video input on the TV.

Following the DVD manual instructions, I enabled component video output on my DVD player and popped in Star Wars III to test it out. When I switched to the component video mode on the TV, I can see the picture just fine, but I am not getting audio. Switching to the regular AV mode gives me audio. Same cables, no other connections. Please help, 'cause I'm at my wits end.

As a note, the diagram in the manual for audio under the component video connection does show the analog audio cables going to an external amp, but that seems illustrative only. I haven't got a home theater in my current setup.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 249
You need to send red and white audio cable along with the component cables to the same input on the TV. When you sent yellow (video) red and white (audio) it worked, you need to also send red and white (audio) with the component RED BLUE GREEN cables for a total of 5 wires.

Post Number: 2
The red and white are connected. There's still no audio in component mode, but if I have the yellow also connected and switch the TV to regular AV mode, I get audio. With all six cables connected, if I switch to component mode I get no audio.

Hope that helps

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2943
Component and composite are seperate inputs. You need to move the audio connections from composite to component.

Post Number: 3
There are no component audio inputs as far as I can see. I thought component was video inputs only.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2944
Component is video only. There has to be audio inputs too.

Post Number: 4
Maybe I'm not being clear - the red and yellow cables as advised by Casey are connected to the audio inputs of the TV - there are no separate component audio inputs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2945
How can you switch between composite and component unless they are seperate inputs?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 250
Is this your model, LG - 29 inch Flatron Television - 29FC82VW? If not what model do you have? TV's come with mutiply inputs, Input 1 usually has S-video and composite video and audio (yellow red white) Input 2 the same as input 1. Input 3 or 4 is Component video (red green blue) also on the same input red and white for audio. Each input on your TV needs to have its own Audio and Video inputs. If you do not have Audio inputs with your Component video inputs you will need to get a stero or home theater reciever to do the sound for your DVD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us