Comcast Cable/Sony Dream System/ Samsung 40 inch issue

Username: Ledges11

Post Number: 1
So I got this great new system with a comcast HD DVR receiver, a sony dream system (dvd 5.1 dolby), and a samsung HDTV (40 inch). We've gotten the dvd to play with sound but we can't get the cable picture to play with sound. Currently I have an HDMI wire from the cable box to the tv, an HDMI wire from the Dream System to the tv, and a fiber optical cable from the cable box to the dream system. Is the lack of sound a wiring issue or a configuration issue? I think it's something to do with the sony dream system but we've looked at the entire manual and when we set the dream system to output sound from the fiber optic line we get nothing. Please help !!!

Lelands

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1185
What is the optical input for? Is there a label on the optical input on the Sony side?

You need to switch the audio on the receiver to take signals from that optical port, otherwise it wouldn't know which input you want to play.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaday

SC

Post Number: 22
Can you get sound off of your television and just not off of the Dream System? There maybe be a setting on the dvd player you need to change.. because HDMI also sends audio, it may not want to send audio out via optical as well?

Post Number: 2
so here's a little more of a description: The tv speakers play sound when the tv is connected directly to the cable box using HDMI. Since the tv speakers are pretty weak I want to run sound from either the tv or the cable box to my surround sound system.

I've tried the digital cable from the cable box to the reciever/dvd player. When I do that then the sound stops coming out of the tv speakers but it doesn't come out the dvd/reciever speakers. I've tried all the settings recommended in the user manual. I have also tried to run the digital out from the tv to the dvd/reciever and while the tv speakers still produce sound I still can't get any sound from the dvd player. Thoughts?

Thanks a ton. Leland

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 23
Yeah, I mean, if you're having issues both from the tv and the cable box, its one of two issues... Could be the cable... any major signs of wear or poor connectors? But most likely its the input of the dvd/receiver. Try to run straight audio in using RCA connectors and see if you can get audio that way.

Silver Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 235
Make sure you also have high quality audio-video cables.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9256
How do you determine quality?

Post Number: 3
Also isn't the fiber optical cable the "best" quality, switching to the RCA cables is a definitely possible (I have a set provided by comcast) but I'd like to use the best quality cables possible. Also all the cables that I've been using are brand new. So I guess do I downgrade for now and then try again later?

Leland

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 24
Well, it's not really a matter of "downgrade for now and then try again later." What you should do is use those basic RCA cables to isolate the problem. Yes, either digital optical or digital coax connections are the best way to send the audio signal, but it's more a matter now of determine where the problem lies in your setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us