Still need A/V Processor?

Username: Bgziggy

Post Number: 1
I have used an A/V processor in all my previous setups. I am now looking for a new TV (DPL) and they have a large amount of switchable inputs, and even a coax digital audio out. Would an A/V processor still be needed? Would a standard amplifier be a better choice?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1182
That depends on your needs and how you ultimately want your HT system to look like. Plenty of people are perfectly happy to use the speakers that come with the TV to watch regular Tv programming and not have to go through the AV. Other stuff such as DVD are hooked up to the TV and the amplifier.

If you have a lot of devices and want to have all of them go through the AV for better sound and then control it with one remote, then a higher end AV or AV processor is necessary. If you can deal with a universal remote and have some of your TV audio go through the TV speakers then a you don't need it.

Ultimately your decision will be based on whether your want better sound quality all around or just some of the time.

Username: Bgziggy

Post Number: 2
Thanks. As with previous setups I intend to drive high quality speakers by an amplifier (curently part of A/V processor) all the time. But if I don't have to switch video as the new TV will do that, is there an audio only processor that would work better or be less expensive than an A/V processor?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1183
I don't think you will find one that will be less expensive that will also give you good sound. Here is one from Bryston that I'm sure is more expensive, but because it does a good job with the sound

http://www.bryston.ca/sp2_m.html

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 248
The TV inputs and outputs are not a good switching source. Even though there is a digital out put it is only used for the internal HD tuner you can not use it for anything else. The future will be HDMI connections get a pre amp that can handle HDMI switching.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us