Help with JigSaw Puzzle of Older and Newer Stuff

Username: The_midwife

Paradise, Florida

Post Number: 1
Hi All ... I've been reading on this forum literally all day. Came on thinking I could find a simpler connections answer to my "wannabe home theater system" components, ended up chucking the connections and reading here all day. Now, hours later, I am a helluva lot more confused than I was when I search engined into this amazing place! LOL!!

I admit that I do not have the fascination with sub-woofers and all the power I see here, I just want everything to work together again as optimal as possible. I'd like to lose about 6 of the remotes and replace them with the new RCA multifunction I bought. And in a perfect world, I'd like to be able to connect the new Pioneer DVR I bought to what I currently have. So if there's anyone out here willing to help me tackle my outdated nightmare, I'd sure appreciate the help (in vocabulary for the electronics novice) with all the proper conncetions.

I've been on the CEA Connections Guide and still can't fathom how best to hook all of this up. FYI, I bought the new wood entertainment center of my dreams and after unhooking all my components, couldn't get them back the way my electrician husband had them (functional) and unfortunately, he passed away unexpectedly and is no longer here with me to put it all back. Can you say "should've drawn myself a chart BEFORE unplugging everything"?

Here's what I have:

1. RCA 32" Direct View TV (conventional) with
Input 1 - S-Video and Yellow video and
Red/White-Left/Right audio jacks
Input 2 - Yellow video and Red/White-
Left/Right Audio and YPP video jacks
Audio Output- Red/White-Left/Right jacks
G-link jack
Cable/Antenna input coaxial

2. Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200 digital cable box from BrightHouse/Time Warner with Digital Audio out jack (black), S-Video out, Yellow, red and white V/A RCA jacks, cable in and cable out coaxial.

3. SONY CD/DVD Player #DVP-NC655P
Digital out coaxial jack
Digital out optical jack
Line out L/R Audio 1/2 jacks
Line out (Video)1/2 jacks
S-Video Out 1/2 jacks
Component Video Out (YPP)jacks
Component Video Out/ScanSelect Switch
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/DVPN655P_sp.pdf

4. SONY 60 CD Changer Mini Hi-Fi Component
#MHC-GS300AV / Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound
All speakers connect on the stereo of course,
which also has jacks for Optical Out, yellow
video out, red/white-L/R audio out, out sub-
woofer, and two sets of 5.1 channel input
jacks front (red/white), rear (red/white)and
center (black).
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/MHCGS300AVspec.pdf

These four components worked very well together until I unplugged everything. Now, the surround speakers work fine for the TV and the CD changer, but I don't have audio when playing a DVD. I could also use the TV speakers with the 5.1 surround at the same time for a nice effect on all components before the big "unplug".

I'd like to add my new DVR player, which is:

5. Pioneer #DVR-531HS
Input/Output connections 1 x Composite
video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Front,
1 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Front,
Composite video/audio output (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,
Component video output (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,
S-Video output (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear, SPDIF output - Rear,
RF input - Rear, RF output - Rear, Remote control - Rear,
G-Link Interface - Rear

I can't seem to find the spec link through Pioneer for this specific recorder on line but C/NET has this information:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_DVR_531H_S_DVD_recorder_HDD_recorder/4507-9141_7 -31836436.html?tag=nav

Sure hope someone out there has the patience to wade through this LONG post and be able to determine my most optimum connections. THEN, if such a puzzle junkie could tell me "first plug this here and this in here ... etc.", I'd be one happy camper. Surely I could manage narrowing down my 37 remotes down to one or two after that! Peace to you all and thanks so much for your indulgence. WHEW! I feel better getting all that off my chest if nothing else! - The Midwife

Paradise, Florida

Post Number: 2
Seems my links for the hi-fi and the cd/dvd player may not work so here's the specs as attachment.

Thanks ... The Midwife

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1168
try this

http://www.ce.org/connections_application/CEA_Connections_Guide_Final_v2.swf

Paradise, Florida

Post Number: 3
Yeah ... Mentioned above that I've been on the CEA Connections Guide site. The information it gives is pretty vague and even when you "check" what components you have, it only tells you how to hook up any given two of your components and nothing about what order they should be in. But thanks for answering though!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1170
As you probably figured out I didn't read the entire post. However in setting up a HT system you generally want to route everything through your receiver. So basically every output device (cable, DVD,CD,DVR) goes to the receiver and then you have one set of video cable going out to the TV. (in your case you want another set of a/v cables going to your DVR for recording) This way all your audio goes through the receiver to 5.1 and all your TV goes directly to your TV and you switch with your remote.

Your setup is difficult because your receiver (essentially a boombox with 5 speakers) does not have enough I/O ports to do this. So what you will end up with is some devices will go to your recievers and other through your TV and you will have to switch between devices using 2 or more remotes though part of that can be alleviated with a universal remote. You will have to make a decision as to what devices go through your receiver and which go directly to the TV or else buy a port splitter and then deal with switching that way.

Honestly my recommendation will be to spring for a better HT reciever even some refurbished Onkyo or HK or a Panasonic XR-55 at $250 plus some speakers will sound so much better than your Sony box and, hopefully, won't break the bank.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1038
Midwife, I have been thinking about your original post for a couple of days now and I just don't understand how you could have wired that Sony GS300 and had everything work. May I'm missing something....

Anyway I will second Stof's recommendation on a new receiver. You will have adequate inputs, and you will also pick up Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of the Dolby Pro-Logic you have now. DD 5.1 is far superior to the old analog Pro-Logic. You could use your existing speakers now and maybe upgrade later as you see fit.

In my opinion, even the cheapest of HT receivers would be better than what you have now, e.g.:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7016463&productCategoryId=cat03031 &type=product&cmp=++&id=1099394773266

Paradise, Florida

Post Number: 4
Thanks folks for the responses. I think a receiver may be in my future. I still don't have everything working yet. Have been waiting on advice here.

John S. - As for having everything work through the stereo, I don't remember how husband had it all hooked up (thus my posting here) but I do know that the TV has the option to play through the TV speaker or the stereo speakers (after turning on the stereo and setting it on the video setting) or both. This "boombox with 5 speakers" ... (LOVED that LOL!) ... has an amazing sound all across lows, mids and highs. Watching concerts on TV was great and CDs/DVDs sound amazingly good as well. Last concert we watched on PBS we could hear Andrea Bocelli inhaling between notes and the SS is surprising as well! That's why I wanted to get it working like it use to for now until I felt the unction to jump into HD and a "real" HTS.

Looks like if I'm able to get it back like it was though, adding the DVR will be out without a receiver, unless I give up the multidisc Sony CD/DVD for the DVR. I downloaded all the manuals to everything yesterday and am still trying to figure it out.

Again, I really appreciate both your expertise and willingness to share. If it comes to ya in the middle of the night, wake me up ... I'm dying to know how hubby had this mess set up. When I get to heaven he's in big trouble. He could've at least left me a schematic!

Peace ... The Midwife

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1043
Here's what you can do:

1) DVD player:
Run S-video (or yellow composite) into the TV. For audio, run the stereo red/white lines into the front panel input on the GS300. You can then kick the Pro-Logic in for surround on DVDs. You would not have audio through the TV's internal speakers when playing DVDs.

2) Cable box:
You can watch TV through the normal coax output on the cable box on channel 3/4 (whichever is appropriate in Paradise) for video/audio. You could then run the red/white audio out from the cable box into the R/L (front) inputs of the multi-channel inputs on the back of the GS300. It is doubtful whether the Pro-Logic surround function would work on that input, but you would at the very least have sound from the two main speakers on the GS300.

Successfully integrating the new DVR opens up another can of worms, and I don't know how it could be done without an external switcher such as this.

Peace to you too.

Paradise, Florida

Post Number: 5
Hi There ... Ran onto this model this evening and was wondering what you think of this receiver with my current components and speakers and to add my new DVR. It's the JVC RX5060 5.1. A couple of years old but looks like it might be OK until I update everything. HH Gregg has it free shipping and $150. Whadaya think?

BTW ... you've been so very helpful and I truly appreciate it.

Peace,

The Midwife

http://books.jvcservice.com/download/186933560/38944.pdf

Gold Member

Post Number: 1175
Midwife the link seems to be dead, and the info that I was able to find on the web did not look very encouraging. Take a look at this unit instead. It costs a bit more, but it has been very highly rated for its price by quite a few members of this board.

Also be aware that these receivers may or may not be compatible with the speakers that came with your Sony system. However you can start with cheaper or find some quality used speakers to go with a new reciver for a true surround.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure these are very trying times for you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1176
And the link :-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E1YPW

Paradise, Florida

Post Number: 6
Stof ... thanks so much for your kind words. My husband was without a doubt the best human being I've ever known and being married for 21 years, the planet pretty much stinks without him, not only for me, but for anyone else who knew him. His loss is devastating for many.

Now ...

Seems I'm having a rash of dead links. I have no trouble opening them but they apparently won't open for anyone else. Let's try this one from HH Gregg:

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=FDB7023EEE714D4C830B4073786CD06D&Pr oductID=16230

Thanks for the Panasonic suggestion but it's more than I can spend right now. My speakers are rated at 6 ohms and the JVC is rated for 6 - 8 ohms. That sounds like I really know what all that means but in all honesty, I only know that a receiver needs speakers of the same ohms to work properly. Anyway, this JVC receiver APPEARED to mix OK with my current speakers and wasn't so over-the-top on power that it overwhelmed the limited components I already have. It looked like something I could hook up what I already have into, without blowing anything up! LOL!

I didn't really even want to buy a receiver at all right now but in order to get my DVR hooked up, I'll probably have to ... or ... get the external switcher as suggested by JOHN S above. So how about you JOHN S ... wanna weigh in on your opinion on the JVC?

Decisions ... decisions!

Thanks again!

Yvonda

Gold Member

Post Number: 1177
Wel; it seems always to be the case. There are plenty of bad marriages that end in divorce, yet the good spouses get taken away somehow.

The 6-8 ohms should not be a problem for either receiver. You need to take a look at the speaker wires going into your Sony and make sure they are bare wire (red and grey or red and white) and it is not an RCA type connectors. That will tell you if your speakers are compatible with these receivers.

This receiver also lacks s-video input/output which again will hamper your ability to centralize everthing into the receiver.

Paradise, Florida

Post Number: 7
Thanks Stof for catching the S-video I/O, or lack thereof. That's something to consider. Also, am I missing it or does it NOT have component jacks either? Looks like they are all composite, save the one digital I/O?

My speakers are bare wire so that's not an issue.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1178
No it doesn't seem to have components either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1179
Take a look at Ubid.com. Once in a while they have really good deals on refurbished lower end receivers that are pretty good in prices. At this point I would really recommend a lower end Yamaha or Panasonic or even an Onkyo over JVC in terms of sound quality and features. You may be able to find something in your price range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1180
Perhaps something like this. It has a lower distortion value a lot more connections.

http://www.ubid.com/Pioneer_VSX-815_700W_7.1_Ch._A%2fV_Home_Theater_Receiver/a10 735200.html

and a pretty cool looking remote.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us