Onkyo 703 or Integra DTR 6.5?

Username: Scot_m

Post Number: 5
I've been in the process of putting together a surround sound system. I have an Onkyo 703 and have until July 27th to return it. I paid $599 for it. I can get an Integra DTR 6.5 for $699. The feaures seem to be identical - although I don't know if the Integra is Ipod ready like the Onkyo. I don't really understand what Ipod ready means (Onkyo manual says nothing), but I do have an Ipod and plan to use it with the system. My speakers will be Paradigm Cinema 110's, Cinema ADP's, and either an HSU or SVS sub (can't decide).

So...do you think it's worth returning the Onkyo for the Integra?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8740
Yes...but if I am not mistaken Integra is a high end Onkyo.

Don't worry about iPod ready, as long as you can get the right cabling, any receiver will be able to accept a signal off an iPod.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm aware that Integra is an Onkyo the same way a Lexus is a Toyota. I also know that an Ipod will connect to anything. However, the Onkyo 703 claims to be "Ipod compatible". I recall reading something that stated Ipod comtatible meant some kind of electronic magic that improves the sound coming from the Ipod. Onkyo also sells a special Ipod cradle that connects to the receiver. I gather that it does something unique, but I don't know what.

The Integra 6.5 is last years model and the Onkyo 703 is this years model. I'm wondering if that is a consideration, when you factor the improvements made in electronics every year.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8744
I still say Integra. There is no magic with the iPod connection, just clever marketing and convenience. The iPod is not a great source of sound, specially if it is compressed. The Onkyo will only reproduce what it is being fed and if the source is garbage, it will improve garbage:-)

Get the Integra and don't look back.

Post Number: 7
I found out the following info, in case anyone is interested.

(This was written around September 2005, and is referring to the Onkyo 603,703 and 803) "Onkyo has also designed each of the new models to take complete advantage of the company's recently introduced DS-A1 Remote Interactive iPod dock. With the iPod placed in the dock, it becomes a source component for not only audio playback, but also for photography stored in iPod photo units. Controls for the iPod such as play, pause, stop, skip, random and playlist access can all be operated via the Onkyo receiver's remote controller. Additionally, the dock is capable of recharging the iPod batteries while it is in use."

Also, from an email with integra...

"Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support. To answer your question the onkyo (703) reciever has component video upconversion, meaning any video signal (s video, composite) that is input in the reciever is upgraded to component video quality. Also it is compatible with the I-pod but requires the purchase of the docking station DS-A1. The DTR does not have these features."

I also found out that the Integra 6.5 has on-screen setup like the Onkyo 703.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 242
Scot you ask a question, then go on to answer it and argue it. The Integra is a better sounding, and built receiver but if the bells and whistles on the Onkyo attract you go for it.

Post Number: 8
Where do you see an argument? I'm really sorry if that's how I came off. I was looking for advice and shared information as it became available to me - for the benefit of others who may be in my situation. Arguing is not on my agenda. I'm only trying to save time for the next person. I thought that's what this was all about. Thanks for the advice BTW.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us