Looking for advice

Username: Vw_bob

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm about to move into a new house. The house comes with built in surround sound speakers. Specifically, I'm getting a 7.1 package. I don't know the specific details of the package, but obviously there are 6 speakers in the ceiling, one center and one sub.

Now, I don't yet have an amp to run this. I'm strongly considering Harmon/Kardon amps. Specifically the Harman Kardon AVR 635.

My TV is, really, a joke. I've never spent any money on a TV and I have a hard time imagining I will. I think it was the second cheapest clearance model at Circuit City when our last TV kicked the bucket. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what connections it has, but I'm sure it's got at least s-video, RCA, coax. It might have component video.

What I'm trying to figure out is the best DVD player I can get that will work nicely with these components and which might upgrade to a nicer TV a year or two from now.

My goals are:

1) Be able to drive all 8 speakers via the amp. I'm having a hard time telling based on specs alone if a DVD players can do this. Some I've seen say they support 5.1, but I've not seen any that explicitly say they support 7.1. I've thought about the HK 35 (I think). Because HK sells it in a package with the amp I'm considering I'd assume it can run all the speakers.

2) Be able to replace my old CD changer. I have an old (don't laugh) technics 5 disk CD changer. I'm considering swapping this out for a single disk DVD player that can play DVDs and CDs. I'd also like it to play sacd and dvd-audio. (I don't have a good reason for this, honestly. I think I just want to listen to Dark Side of the Moon on sacd and I couldn't find it on dvd-audio.) I don't ever see myself listening to mp3 via this, but it couldn't hurt. I do see myself occasionally watching vcd or divx movies.

3) To not be too expensive. I'm already having a hard enough time convincing my wife to let me get the AMP. A $400 DVD player just won't fly! I might be able to spend around $200.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions on the DVD player?

I plan to route all video through the AMP. I think this will be cable, VCR (hey, I've got kids!), DVD, GameCube, xbox (some day), and a PC. Maybe a Tivo if I get lucky some day too!

I think that I should be able to have essentially one output to the TV from the
amp for everything. Then I'd use the amp to switch sources. Is this generally feasible?

Thanks,

Doug

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 2
Oops, the speakers are On-q brand. I think they're in the 7000 range: http://www.onqlegrand.com/jahia/Jahia/lang/en/pid/1058

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 263
What's the screen size on your "joke" of a TV? 32in and below you can get away with pretty much any 'ol progressive scanning DVD player, 200$ should get you a half decent one, but you won't even half to spend that much. However if your screen size is 42in+ then you will have to think about getting a nicer one. Now, I use the LG LDA 531 Upconvert DVD player, the upconversion feature is obviously useless to you, but, it will play SACD, DVDAudio, and DIVx, it has a half decent video DAC (12 bit) and all the standard connections (though if your TV does have component use that). Further, it is within your price envelope, and has the advantage of scalability, so if you do upgrade your TV, you won't have to buy a new player.

The HK AVR 635 will drive your 7.1 set up just fine, however it wil not drive a sub (you connect your sub to the HK via the pre-outs). You need powered subwoofer for that. Besides, you would have a tough time finding an unpowered sub outside of a HTIB set up. Further, you should be able to get the HK for 500$ ish nowadays. There are some great internet-direct retailers as well as clearence sales.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 264
On further review, if your getting that whole package as you linked it, it comes with a powered sub already, so your good to go.

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 3
Micahel -

Off the top of my head, the TV is 32".

Pardon the lack of technical knowledge, but does any DVD player "read" 7.1 surround? To clarify, how does the audio get to the amp? I presume that I'd use the optical out on the DVD player to the amp. But does that automatically include 8 channels of audio? Or, if I skimp on the DVD player, would I run the risk of only getting 6 channels?

Thanks for the info!

Doug

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1164
Take a look at Cambridge Audio or may be a refurbished Denon universal player.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 272
Its the source content, not the player per se. If your using your optical connection, your sending raw unprocessed digital data, which is then converted by your receiver, the DVD AUDIO dac is skipped. To avoid confusion, most content is 5.1, its usually the receiver which converts it to 6/7.1. Although there are some source 6/7.1s out there.

N.B. Just in case, "dac" is an acronym for digital to analogue conversion.

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 4
Michael, thanks for the info - that's exactly what I was looking for.

Doug

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 282
Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us