Pre-wireing new contruction advise?

Username: Jaques_strapp

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for info on wiring new construction. I intend to have an LCD TV wired to the center of the wall while hiding the rest of the components at the other end of the room. I've never done any tv connections other than RCA connectors. To my knowledge there are not any made long enough. So what do I use? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 64
If your understanding of home theater wiring is at the most basic level, you have some homework to do. There is no simple 1-2-3 answer that would fit in this forum.

Some sites to visit and read are:

http://www.wildtracks.cihost.com/homewire/

http://www.prillaman.net/ht_info_8-wiring.html

At it most basic level, pre-wiring consists of getting input signals (satelite, cable, over-the-air broadcast digital TV, etc. ) to the TV and the A/V receiver, providing the proper interconnect cables between the A/V receiver and it's various sources ( TV, ATSC tuner, DVD, etc. ) and output cables to the 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 audio speakers (your choice of dolby digital output based on your equipment). The interconnects can be HDMI cables, component coax cables, RCA audio cables, and coaxial or fiber optic digital audio connections and in-wall rated 12 gauge speaker cable to all the future speaker locations.

It is a lot more than the typical red/white RCA audio cables.

If, after you have read the source sites and other guides on home theater wiring, you still don't feel comfortable doing all this yourself - then consider a professional installer who will be responsible for doing it right and future-proofing your installation

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 52
Be careful none of your data cables run beside power cables. I had to re-run a power cable as it caused signal loss in my 10m HDMI cable.

The longer your cables are the more interference they will pick up.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 284
Also while you have the oppurtunity, I highly recomend getting your elictrical contractor to add another circuit (15 or 20 amp) to the room your going to be using your AV eqpt. It is amazing how quickly you can reach the max load of a 15 amp circuit with even mid range eqpt.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 285
Ugh... please fix the edit button...

Username: Jaques_strapp

Post Number: 2
I understand how it all hooks up just not when the tv is the only component that is across the room. I usually use RCA "type" connectors from the reciever to the tv but not 30 feet. More like 6 feet. So what kind of wire is used for this? Is it shielded? Where do I get it and the connectors?
Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 67
to "future proof" your installation, run two HDMI cables, a set of red/white audio cables, a Toslink fiber optic audio cable, a high grade VGA cable (if you think you will ever hook up a computer to the screen) and 120v AC power.

Two double gang electrical boxes set in the wall where the TV will cover them will house all the wiring, keep the power line separate from the low voltage audio/video cables.

Look at the back of your TV, how do the cables connect ? Will it require a severe bend in the cables to hook into the TV ? Does the back of the TV have a formed in recess to route cables and what type of wall mount will you use ? Some mounts have more clearance for wiring than others.

I have had great success ordering very good cables from www.monoprice.com. They have the extended length cables you will need.

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 53
I made my own component cables using Belden 1694A RG6U cable and Canare connectors. I used 1000ft to wire my basement.

I also ran this same component cable from my receiver to the side wall for my subwoofer, and 5 more for gaming systems (60 ft each).

I ran both component and HDMI from my receiver to my projector/monitor (30ft).

Those would be a good place to start they are almost universal today - I didn't need to spend more other cables. HDMI is the best anyways.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 243
My friend is building a new home . I ran a 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe in the walls across the ceiling with 4 strings for future wiring. This is for an over head projector, and I hope to only run HDMI but who knows. No need to run all those wires when string is a lot cheaper.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 289
That's definitey good advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us