Is it worth the struggle to get digital output on cable box

Username: Paresh

Post Number: 4
Hello, I am new to HT so please forgive a couple of newbie questions.

I recently purchased an Harman Kardon avr-435 reciever and am going to use it with my digital cable box for now. (The HK decodes all the major surround formats).

If I have understood previous posts correctly, I need to have a digital out on my cable box connected to the digital input on my receiver in order to get true DD/DTS 5.1 sound. Is that right?

As it happens, I only have a pair of RCA audio outs on my cable box. From what I've read in this forum, it can be an ordeal to secure a cable box with the proper digital outs. I'm wandering, is it really worth the trouble? How much programming is actually in DD 5.1?

Finally what about Dolby Pro Logic II? I understand that this takes the 2 channel sound output via the RCA outs on the cable box and creates a virtual surround experience? How well does this work? How much programming out there has the pro logic encoded into it?

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to answer my questions.
Paresh

Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 3
Do you have HDTV?? Most HD programming is broadcast in 5.1 surround, and you'll probably need to subscribe to HD programming to also get the 5.1. (Unless you're getting HD-Locals OTA)

Will it make a difference?? Yes, most definitely!! Should you make the upgrade?? I guess that depends on whether or not you have HDTV. Your receiver will matrix a 2-channel source into a simulated 5.1 soundfield, but it will sound better if it's a 5.1 source.

Good Luck

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1143
That's correct Paresh. Don't confuse digital cable with HD cable. Most of the digital cable boxes out there don't offer a digital output of any kind. Generally you need to get HD cable to get a digital outputs (audio or video).

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1019
I don't know what is normal around the country but I can tell you the the two major cable companies here in central Ohio routinely install digital (non-HD) cable boxes with coax (S/PDIF) digital audio outputs on them. About half of the channels yeild Dolby Digital 2.0 with a hand full of them (mostly movie channels) giving true DD 5.1. Paresh, maybe your cable company has this type of box available on request. If so, I would certainly do that.

If that's not an option, then you have an excellent surround matrix on board your Harman Kardon receiver they call "Logic 7." It does an very good job with analog stereo signals, better in my opinion than DPL II. I use Logic 7 when playing regular CDs and like it better than some true DD 5.1 mixes I hear.

Username: Paresh

Post Number: 5
Thanks a lot for all your feedback.

Rush, I don't have a HD tv yet. So if I don't have the HD channels which feature DD 5.1 audio, how much programming would there be left that would broadcast in DD 5.1? (I'm guessing only some of the premium movie channels.)

John, that's very good to know about Logic 7. Thanks for the tip.

I did call my cable company and they said that I'll have to rent their HD box for $4-5 dollars more than I'm paying now in order to have the digital outputs (as well as S-video, component, etc.). I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

And can you guys clear up one more thing: In order to use a surround matrix like Logic 7 and Dolby Pro Logic do the analog stereo signals have to be encoded going in to the receiver? If so how much programming is encoded? I notice that a lot of programs begin with "in surround sound where available". When they say this are they refering to the encoded analog stereo signals or do they mean actual DD or DTS 5.1 discrete channels of sound?

Thank you again for all the valuable information.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 244
John is right on the money as far as Logic 7 goes, it's great for music, tbh I have never tried it for TV. I use PL2 for analog TV.

As to encoding, some sound fields require it, others do it for you. PL2 and Logic7 do the work for you, breaking it down from any analog signal. True "Dolby" signals, whether they are 2 channel or 5 channel are detected by the Dolby Decoder and to get those you do need specially coded signals from the source.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us