How to Setup HDTV and VCR

Username: Vanells2k

Post Number: 1
Hopefully someone can give some guidance here.
I just got my new hd set and will be getting my hd cable receiver from rogers this week. I'm curious as to how i will have to set it up. In the past I had to run the coax out from the cable rec. into the vcr and then output the vcr to the tv in order to be able to record shows. If i were to use the same setup now, wouldn't i lose the hdbanwidth? If so, how do i get around this? My new tv has 2 hdmi inputs, 2 composite, 1 component, 1 svideo.

Do i need to buy a theater receiver as well?
Any help for this newb would be much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1012
It doesn't matter what happens with the coax out on the cable box. That's because your new TV will be fed by either the HD cable box's HDMI or component output. These hookups are necessary to see HD channels on a cable box. (I'm betting the cable guy will use component.) Either way, your poor old VCR is out of the loop. Oh you'll still be able to record regular TV with the same hookup. And you can play back tapes either on the antenna in or line in to the TV. (You'll most likely soon stop however, once you see how crappy VHS looks on an HDTV.)

"Do i need to buy a theater receiver as well?"

Only if you want theater sound. You'll need some speakers, too. For now the TV's speakers will do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us