Component Setup or Speaker Package

Username: Dobie

Post Number: 1
I am on a limited budget as far as a speaker setup goes probably around $500. I am guessing that we will listen to music 50% of the time and watch movies and sports 50%. I want to get the best sound for the money. I am torn between two options and I would like opinions.

Option 1 - Buy a Speaker Package like Klipsch Quintet III pls a subwoofer or Harman Kardan HKTS-14 or something similar

Option 2 - Buy a pair of JBL E-50s or E80s or higher with a subwoofer or center channel. I am not sure if I am better off with the subwoofer or the center channel in my case.

Your input is appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 235
These might be a litle more money or you could subtract the subwoofer for now and get one later, and get a real nice set up. Paradigm best bang for the buck.http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SystemChoice/ systems.html

Bronze Member
Username: Bvg

Arvada, CO

Post Number: 34
Most here would argue that in your price range, doing both music and HT well will be very hard - basically impossible. Mind you, I said "well".

You can do the HT in a box thing or something similar (your choices above), and for dialog and special effects it will work as long as your room isn't too large. But music playback will sound really thin on that kind of system a lot of the time. It depends on how critical a listener you are, and the kind of music that you play.

For great music playback in your price range, it's much easier to build a 2.1 system. Get a pair of great bookshelves on stands, and add a sub later if you want the LF effects for movies.

For example, we have a pair of Kef iQ3's on stands in our front room (for reading and hanging out, not so much video). They're phenomenal.

I've listened to the Paradigm Atoms, and they sound great for music (system one on the link Casey gave you). But they're also twice your budget...

The JBL's will sound very bright - we have a set of older JBL Sat series (technology virtually unchanged, apparently). You may like that for movies. For music, it gets tiring.

For HT, the center channel is arguably the single most important speaker in the system.

If you can stretch your budget a little, plan on going with decent fronts and a decent center, a powered sub, and skimp on the surrounds if you must.

Good luck.

Username: Fishcatcher

MI USA

Post Number: 2
Check out www.orbaudio.com if you like small size and big sound was the recommendation to me.

Username: Jdaemon

Post Number: 1
I just picked up an Onyko HT-S760 Home Theater Setup on clearance (brand-new and unopened) at Fry's in Sunnyvale for 208.75. Stickers on the box indicate in originally was sold for 499.00 then dropped to 399.00.

It's a d*mn sweet setup for the money: nice Receiver with A/V inputs, all the nice mid-range features, and 750 watts total power.... 150 watt powered subwoofer and 6 solid surround speakers. It's not quite up to the Klipsch setup I had previously (particularly the center channel), but it only cost me around 10% of what I spent last time around, so I'm really happy.

You might check Fry's if you're on the West Coast, or check out outpost.com for Fry's outlet items.

James

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 367
yo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us