New to HT, what do you think?

Username: Bigbrit

IN

Post Number: 1
This is my first try at a true HT set up, my room is 29ft x 17ft with no natural light, I have selected the following components to install and I was wanting your thoughts etc. Thanks.......

Speakers. JBL HT Speaker Package 7.1 consists of: 1 x EC25 Center Speaker
4 x E10 Bookshelf Speakers
2 x E80 Floor Standing Speakers
1 x E150P Powered Subwoofer -- Black

DVD player. Denon DVD-1920
Receiver. Denon AVR-2106
VHS tape player. JVC HR-J692 VHS 4 Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR

Projector. Panasonic PT-AE900U
Screen. Da-lite DA snap wall screen 65 x 116 -- 133 diag (16:9) aspect cinema vision HC (High contrast)

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 148
If you can move up to the EC35 (instead of EC25), it'd be much better. I have both EC25 & EC35, and the EC35 is way much better than its smaller sister. Dialog and even music in surround would be much clearer with the EC35 thanks to the midrange. The EC35 is bigger and much heavier, though. I think the EC35 is about 22lbs while the EC25 is only 15.5lbs so it's likely that you'll need a rack for it.:-)

The E250P will give you more power and more satisfactory bass than the 150P (if you want to keep everything in the JBL name).

IN

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input, I ordered my system this evening and I upgraded where you suggested, I also upgraded my book shelf speakers to the E20's, might as well spend it now while I can.......

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
One thing you need to be aware of is the E20 has the tune port in the rear so you can't put it too close to the wall. Other than that, the E20's will work beautifully with the E80's as surround spkrs. You'll love that EC35, I'm sure! :-)

IN

Post Number: 3
Thanks, how far is "not too close" to the wall?

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
A minimum of 4" should be fine for the E20's.

IN

Post Number: 4
Thanks, I should be up and running in a couple of months, the builders start Monday, I can't wait...........

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
:-)

IN

Post Number: 5
OK next question, what cables do I need to hook the receiver, dvd player, vhs player and projector together? I am also looking at hooking up an x box as well. What are best types and brands to buy?
Thanks....

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Depending on each component, you'll need shielded audio/video cables, S-Video, component video, coaxial/optical audio cables, subwoofer cable(s), speaker wires... Use 12-gauge speaker wires where space allows and don't use wires that are smaller than 16-gauge. You can find all kinds of cables, wires, adaptors... at reasonable prices here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=59

Check the manual of each component to see which cables and wires you will need. Please post back with make/model # if you need to ask about a specific component.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us