Can I Do This?

Username: Nickg333

Post Number: 2
I am looking to put together a 5.1/7.1 system up in one room and speakers throughout the house off one receiver. I have been looking at the Yamaha RX-V2500 and I was wondering if I could hook up another amp to that receiver, rather than buying another amp/receiver for my other speakers. Can I do this with this receiver? any receiver? thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 166
Yup, this and many others... Usually you are limited to A/B switches. In this case one room can be 5.1, and the other 2 channel.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 78
Some recievers will not allow this. I am not sure about the Yamaha. I have a lower model pioneer and when I turn the "b" channel on I only get my front 2 speakers on "a" and 2 on "b" So I am not able to create 7.1 using this.

I am also not sure if you are looking to have seperate material running at the same time. That you'll have to do more research on the reciever, but again my pioneer I am unable to do this.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 172
Grimis this looks like a nice receiver. What price are tou paying it list for $1100 in 2004? A newer model may have HDMI switching. The RX-V2500 will do a remote room with out the need for amp.

Username: Nickg333

Post Number: 3
same material, I want to be able to play music through the house and turn off the 5.1. with the rx-v2500 what is a remote room you are talking about explain yourself casey... thanks guys

Bronze Member
Username: Shovelhead

E.Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 11
That is exactly what I do with Yamaha RX-V757. No need for another amp and/or receiver. I am using a Calrad speaker selector to run the speakes throughout the other rooms.
Some pictures are here;
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/192199.html

Bronze Member
Username: Shovelhead

E.Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 12
Oh yeah, one word of advice is to get a volume controlled speaker selector regardless of what brand you get. Mine is good for 4 pair of speakers, which covers my entire basement. All you have to do is connect the selector to where the "B" speakers plug in and connect all the speakers to the selector. Without the selector you could run only one set of speakers.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 174
Grimis what I called a remote room Yamaha calls it ZONE2. You can set up the front reference speakers outputs for either to used in main room or a ZONE2 set up. Another room with its own set of speakers being fed its own source and volume control while the main room plays its own source in 5.1 surround. I don't like Yamaha's setup for ZONE2 I prefer Denon's use of choosing 5.1 and ZONE2 or 7.1 only in the main room. With the Denon you get to select which Digital inputs will be assigned to each souce (DVD CD Cablebox).

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 175
Grimis I would like to add that you can hook up two two amps to the RX-V2500 and fed two zones ZONE2 and ZONE3 without putting any stress on the receiver. When you use the A-B speaker set up you are putting stress on the receiver because you are drivng 4 speakers with a 2 speaker amp. The Ohms are effected with each set of speakers you add on to one amp. People using A-B speakers with a speaker selector with up 4 speakers playing at once are really putting stress on the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us